Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 8th February 2010, 15:57   #106
BHPian

Default Rally

Check out "Kuensel" article on the results of the Rally.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:32   #107

Default 3rd Indo Bhutan Rally

check out the link about the rally in the Bhutan newspaper

Kuensel Newspaper - Indian rally teams take top 3 prizes
anshude9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:34   #108

Check out the rally results in the link below

Kuensel Newspaper - Indian rally teams take top 3 prizes
anshude9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 16:37   #109
BHPian

Default Rally

Spoke to Bumpu & Joseph, what a tough rally course!!!

Black Hawk placed 15th, no problems. Well Done!
Lots of brake downs and tire problems.

Looking forward to lots of details and PHOTOS soon.
Both should be back today or tomorrow.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudipto

Things Changed a lot. Now a days the shorter route to Thimphu from Galephu (New Spelling) is through Sarpang, Chirang(New spelling) Tsirang and Wangdipodrang. They all went through that road. They all had a tough time through the snow in Dorchula. Anyhow all of them reached safely. Seems they had some mis communication and had to spend around Rs 3000 in Siliguri for the rally equipments. I did mention in one of my posts that there might be snow and to be careful. Seems all went well. Seems Fist timer lady participant had a tough time and not communicated properly by the organizers. I was bit worried and I was updated by my friends in Bhutan.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 19:50   #111
BHPian

Hi everybody, returned to Kolkata last night. Had a great time at the rally. Will come up with a detailed report with pics, soon. However, all my pics are taken before flag-off and after the finish of a particular leg.

A couple of corrections here:

@Indrojit :
1. Sun film - As per FMSCI and INRC regulations, sun-films are not allowed on the rear windscreen. So, we took that off. There were no issues with the side windows. They are legal.

2. Run out of tyres - Its not correct that all cars had run out of tyres. I am not aware whether JKtyre were helping out any competitor, but, I for myself, did not have a single puncture during the rally and the tyres did an excellent job in the dirt sections.

@Planet - The LCLC sticker is still there. It was pasted from outside on the rear glass.

@Navan49 : There was no snow at Darchula, infact, no snow enroute. There was a passage control at that point and we got a quick view of the snow peaks visible from there.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:40   #112
BHPian

Hi Saurabhda and Joseph,

Sorry I could not buzz you on 8th night, was buried in work.

Hope you guys had a nice rally.
johy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 11:12   #113
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back Saurabh! I am sure you had a great time

Am i glad to hear that the LCLC sticker is till there - we got to catch up soon for a quick chat sometime.

Arey! Where is NOSKOR?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 02:30   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
A couple of corrections here:

@Indrojit :
1. Sun film - As per FMSCI and INRC regulations, sun-films are not allowed on the rear windscreen. So, we took that off. There were no issues with the side windows. They are legal.

2. Run out of tyres - Its not correct that all cars had run out of tyres. I am not aware whether JKtyre were helping out any competitor, but, I for myself, did not have a single puncture during the rally and the tyres did an excellent job in the dirt sections.
1). Sir the FMSCI clearly states that Sun film on door glasses or any of the windshield is not allowed.Since most of the cars had it on the door glasses they made an exception this time and just made it easier by making it only for the front and rear windshields.This call can however be taken by the Stewards representing the FMSCI at that perticular event with the concent of the other officials.

2).I am sorry i mentioned all i meant most. JK tyre did help out some competitor and ofcource the officials.Its great to see the performance of your car tyres!

Hoping to see some pictures soon
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 17:02   #115
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
1). Sir the FMSCI clearly states that Sun film on door glasses or any of the windshield is not allowed.Since most of the cars had it on the door glasses they made an exception this time and just made it easier by making it only for the front and rear windshields.This call can however be taken by the Stewards representing the FMSCI at that perticular event with the concent of the other officials.

2).I am sorry i mentioned all i meant most. JK tyre did help out some competitor and ofcource the officials.Its great to see the performance of your car tyres!

Hoping to see some pictures soon

Indrojit, the facts you state need a double correction here.

1. As per the FMSCI technical regulations for four wheelers (Page 38 and 39) it is mentioned that
" The use of tinted glass (laminated glass) and/or safety film is permitted inside and rear windows. In such cases it must be possible for a person situated 5 m from the car to see the driver as well as the contents of the car. The use of transparent and colourless anti-shatter films on the side windows and the glass sunroof is mandatory. "

Since the rear windscreen was way too dark for anyone to see from 5 metres distance we removed it. Moreover no one even mentioned a word about the window tints.

2. None of the competitors had a problem of running out of tyres. Infact there were only 3 punctures, and the competitor who had two of those punctures was helped out by their own service team. Moreover all the cars have been driven back with the very tyres they were shod with at the end of the 3rd leg as there was enough tread left in them. JK Tyres was just the sponsor and they did not have to help out anyone.

Anyways the whole event was an experience to remember both for me and Saurabh da, with probably every type of terrain one could expect, sand, thick forests, highways, river beds filled with boulders, loose & heavy gravel and the winding roads of the 3rd day.

The car behaved well all throughout and we didn't have any mechanical trouble to worry about, thanks to the work of Joydeb da and his team.

Looking forward eagerly to next year's event.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009_4W_TR_FINAL.pdf (1.17 MB, 341 views)
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 09:59   #116
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and congratulations ! Welcome back.

Sure does warrant a meet to listen to your experiences.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:40   #117
BHPian

OK enough of all this talking about the Rally.....Lets See Some Photos...P L E A S E!

One Photo is worth a "Thousand Words".
Old 15th February 2010, 12:55   #118
BHPian

Default Rally report

Jan 31 - Ceremonial Flag off

As mentioned in the previous posts, the ceremonial flag off of the rally happened on Jan 31st, from Calcutta Club.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p1310022-large.jpg

After the flag off, I went to the sticker-wala and got some stickering done for the car. Wanted to keep it as subtle as possible.

The evening was spent at the workshop, getting some final activities completed.

Feb 1 - Leaving for Siliguri

The plan was to leave by 8am, so that we could reach Siliguri by early evening. However, one thing led to another and we finally left at 1pm. We had 3 cars to accompany us. Mine, Joydeb-da's and our service car (a Tavera).

As soon as we left the workshop, the cable for the rally trip meter snapped, resulting in further delay. While the other 2 cars decided to proceed, we got busy getting the cable fixed and getting a couple of spares done.

There was reportedly a blockade at Madhyamgram, so we decided to take NH2 and then the usual route through Suri. To make up for the lost time, drove with a heavy foot till Darjeeling Morh and caught up with the rest of the cars who have reached 5 mins back. Had a hearty lunch there and then left for Moregram, by 3pm. We did not wish to do an overnight drive and it was evident that we will stay at Malda for the overnight halt.

The NH60 stretch from Darjeeling Morh till Ilambazar is deterioating pretty fast. Beyond Ilambazar till Rampurhat, the road is super smooth and is a joy to ride. We were making good time, but, just before Rampurhat, the front left tyre went flat.

Changed the tyre and tanked up at a nearby pump. We finally reached Moregram by 6:30pm. Stopped at the dhaba adjoining the BP pump and had tea. From there onwards, the 3 car convoy continued and we finally rolled into Malda at 9pm. The cars were parked securely at the hotel's parking area. We had dinner and then retired for the day by 11pm.

Feb 2 - Malda to Siliguri

We left Malda at 9am, took a couple of breaks in between and finally reached Siliguri by 3:30pm. The rally head quarters was setup at Hotel Mainak. From 2nd Feb till 7th Feb, its the responsibility of the rally organizers to provide for logding and fooding.

We were put up at Hotel Sharda, right next to Mainak. John Sinha dropped in at the hotel around 8pm and we had a nice chat. By 9pm, it was time for dinner.

Feb 3 - Siliguri - Vehicle Scrutiny

The vehicle scrutiny was scheduled from 8am at Mainak. We got a slot around 10:30am, going by the sequence number. The scrutiny went fine. We took off the rear sunfilm as required by the regulations. After the scrutiny was over, the service team got busy is finalzing the car for the D Day.

The service team at work
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2030001-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2030002-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2030003-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2030004-large.jpg

The evening was spent with the rest of the team from our workshop (Calcutta Motors) planning and strategizing for the next 3 days. Being a novice, everybody had some advice for me.

I was pretty excited and this was the first big event for me. My primary objective was to finish the rally and then try for positions.

I did not get a good sleep at night, probably due to excitement. The flag off has been scheduled from the Himalayan Tennis Academy at 7:30am. The
reporting time was 6:30am.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 22:02   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Does anyone have a GPS trackplot of the rally route, I have the tulip.

Would like to see if there are tracks (in India) which I have not been on.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 23:41   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome back Saurabh and Joseph. Waiting to see the rest of the pics.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote