Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2005, 23:34   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

So basically if you live and work in America, and NEED an American driving licence to work, you should hang your head in shame if you have an Indian flag, claim to be Indian, or want to come back to India and get a licence.

Maybe we should remember that Mr Hoosein is responsible for a lot of goof ups in the recent past. The last being the MAI conducted India Rally leg of the APRC, where there weren't enough safety cars, the ones that were around didn't buckle up, and the tarmac stages were described as "hard packed gravel", leading to drivers pulling out for safety reasons.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 23:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default

Hey Viper
I dont think its like that buddy. I myself have a US driving license, and a racing license for karts, but I'm a Indian national for all purposes. Not sure how this British thing works and more importantly, I dont know what advantage KC found in opting for a Brit license. He could have driven in UK being a Indian National. Heck....all his sponsors are Indian companies....at least you gotta respect that. Maybe he just thought it would be cool to call himself British. Anyways I dont want to take sides here.

They could have covered it up if they wanted but Nazir Hossein chose to blow the whistle. Looks like it will be young Armaan Ebrahim flying the Indian flag.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 00:24   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Hey Mpower, I see what you're trying to say. Let me try and understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Not sure how this British thing works and more importantly, I dont know what advantage KC found in opting for a Brit license. .
I don't either, and I'm pretty sure none of us do. Maybe he had good reason. Don't know, can't comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
He could have driven in UK being a Indian National. Heck....all his sponsors are Indian companies....at least you gotta respect that. Maybe he just thought it would be cool to call himself British. .
Maybe he could have. Again, I don't know. All his sponsors are Indian, also I don't know. But all he did was get a licence, not a passport and a vow of allegiance to the Queen. He's still Indian. Much like getting a green card does not mean you aren't Indian anymore. What he did was what he thought was best for his career. I think the "cool to be British" comment was unfair to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
They could have covered it up if they wanted but Nazir Hossein chose to blow the whistle.
I don't doubt that KC broke some rules. But rules are meant to be broken. And Hoosein seems to be the sort of character who only helps those who curry favour with him. Please read my earlier post to see what good he's done. If he was really doing much good, I would have no issue. As it stands, my issue is more with him, than with the judgement on KC.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 01:41   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I don't doubt that KC broke some rules. But rules are meant to be broken. And Hoosein seems to be the sort of character who only helps those who curry favour with him. Please read my earlier post to see what good he's done. If he was really doing much good, I would have no issue. As it stands, my issue is more with him, than with the judgement on KC.
V1p3r, it seems to be slightly different than having US license while driving in US. You can have Indian and US license. KC had a choice of Indian *OR* British license, and he opted for British. More apt anology in this case will be of nationality, you can either be Indian national or British.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 06:47   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
V1p3r, it seems to be slightly different than having US license while driving in US. You can have Indian and US license. KC had a choice of Indian *OR* British license, and he opted for British. More apt anology in this case will be of nationality, you can either be Indian national or British.
Dead right, RX. If the chap finds a brit license so useful, why doesnt he want to race for the UK in A1 GP? Too much competition, huh? Seat at home is practically reserved for him and all that...

I guess he took his place for granted. You cant remember your nation only when it suits you. Give the seat to someone else till he regularises his paperwork - rules are rules and lets not go around creating icons so that they can break rules (as we do in Cricket).

The problem here is that when one person finally puts his foot down and imposes rules there are a hundred voices to make excuses for the offender. Discipline is the foundation for success.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 09:59   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Well said Steeroid. Contrary to what some people here say, rules are really not meant to be broken!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 11:05   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Well said Steeroid. Contrary to what some people here say, rules are really not meant to be broken!
All well, but Please Politics should not come in the picture!! It only harms the sport which Needs to get a push in our country. Mr.NH is a old man at motor sport and commands an immense respect worlwide, and I've known him for 20 years
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 20:39   #23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Well said Steeroid. Contrary to what some people here say, rules are really not meant to be broken!
HAHHA well said dude... but try telling that to people here that think that the rules are meant for other people and NOT for the "Good Ole Southern Boys" that think they are above it all... what a bunch of Wankers.
And to people here comparing Racing Licenses to the ones used to drive on the road... all I have to say is HA HA... theres no comparison there dudes!
RX... WAY TO SAY IT MAN!
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 22:38   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Ok. I was the one who suggested that rules are meant to be broken. It's not an Indian thing. Everyone does it when it suits them. Can you please stop referring to me as "people". I'd much rather be pointed at directly.

About your snide "southern boys" remark: like it or not, South India is pretty much the hub of motorsport, atleast to the less well-informed such as me. I think all the race tracks in India are in Tamil Nadu. The quickest "Indian" 1/4 miler is from Chennai. At the last ACI SpeedRun in Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai pretty much dominated.

I'm not trying to start anything here. Just like Mumbai is supercar town, South India is motorsport central. I may be wrong. If so, please correct me.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 22:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
and NOT for the "Good Ole Southern Boys" that think they are above it all... what a bunch of Wankers.
Dude! Where did you pull this out of? Would you rather have no Indian make it to F1 than a southerner? Lets not get into the South vs North thing here. At least we are the only community united as Indians in our love for cars and motorsports.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th August 2005 at 23:12.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 02:49   #26
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Dude! Where did you pull this out of? Would you rather have no Indian make it to F1 than a southerner? Lets not get into the South vs North thing here. At least we are the only community united as Indians in our love for cars and motorsports.
Aite... you don't want to do the South vs north thing here.. thats cool with me.. but I stand by what I said...
Its not that I wouldnt have no Indian in F1 tha a southerner.... I was'nt even talking abt NK here.. .just what a WHINER KC was being... like it or not..
As to the post by viper your spot on abt the Super car and motorsports central thing.... but dude.. the comparison abt a racing license to a street one... where did you get that from... not trying to start anything again..

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 20th August 2005 at 02:51.
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 04:07   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
... not trying to start anything again..
I know you're not

Didn't like being referred to as a wanker, that's all!

Why, as a gesture of pan-Indian reconciliation, I'll even let you buy me drinks when we meet!!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 11:33   #28
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I know you're not

Didn't like being referred to as a wanker, that's all!

Why, as a gesture of pan-Indian reconciliation, I'll even let you buy me drinks when we meet!!
Who..... what... drink??? whats that??????
Sounds like a plan...
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 12:38   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,539
Thanked: 80,286 Times
Default

I am with Nasir on this. With the limited knowledge of Indian motorsport that I have, I really cant see any reason for him choosing a British licence over an Indian. At such a high level of motorsport - Rules are rules, and must be adhered to in any situation.

When you make a decision, be ready to face the consequences (good and bad). Too bad KC!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 14:59   #30
BHPian
 
Badcheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 123
Thanked: 2 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I am with Nasir on this. With the limited knowledge of Indian motorsport that I have, I really cant see any reason for him choosing a British licence over an Indian. At such a high level of motorsport - Rules are rules, and must be adhered to in any situation.

When you make a decision, be ready to face the consequences (good and bad). Too bad KC!

GTO
I managed to speak to Karun , and ask him why did he opted for a british Licence , and he said it was much easier and cheaper. and plus he know at tht time that our Man Mr.Hussain would again do some panga or some thing , for chumma sake. indian Licence costs 10 lacks , brit was only 3 lacks ........

Lets listen to his side of the story , before we all start making our own assumptions.

Correct me if i am wrong

Cheetah Out ..

Last edited by Badcheetah : 20th August 2005 at 15:08.
Badcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Wars: The City strikes back. How I bought an ANHC & got my mojo back chaostheory Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 17th January 2010 21:49
Munnar strikes again!!! ajmat Travelogues 23 6th March 2009 09:50
Keralite please be very conscious!!! BOMB threat strikes Kerala vinayvtec Shifting gears 30 29th July 2008 12:44
Gm strikes back overtakes Toyota rahul_intlad The International Automotive Scene 32 25th July 2007 23:57
The VTEC strikes back! goldie_malhotra Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 203 29th June 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks