Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 7th February 2010, 08:03   #46
BHPian

Well, was looking forward to today but unfortunately, not attending this event today.
Looking forward to people who attended for a good writeup to cheer me up.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 10:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Was at the venue for a while. Met manson, arpandiv, farfromnormal and dippy. Good number of cars.

Last edited by straight6 : 7th February 2010 at 10:56.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 22:24   #48
BHPian

No write up or report! And its the end of the day :P
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 09:44   #49
BHPian

A beautiful way to spend Sunday Morning.

Few Picture From my side

Organiser Vishal Mirpuri
2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4-dscn4693.jpg

NAB Building on worli sea face
2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4-dscn4700.jpg

(L to R)my navigator Gunwant & Me
Name:  DSCN4708.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  98.1 KB

(L to R)Me, Mansi,her navigator, Portedhead, Dippy & his no 34 Honda City
Name:  DSCN4712.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  97.5 KB

Me & my navigator gunwant in my No 46 Getz waiting for flag off
Name:  DSCN4716.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  102.7 KB

Tejas, His navigator & His no 50 i10
Name:  DSCN4725.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  99.3 KB

Flag Off for me
Name:  DSCN4732.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  102.2 KB

(Lto R) Me, PortedHead, Rehan, Tejas, Dippy
Name:  DSCN4744.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  97.8 KB

(Lto R) Parinaz(navigator), her mom, PortedHead, Rehan, Tejas, Dippy, Me, Mansi, My wife.
2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4-dscn4747.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 8th February 2010 at 12:14. Reason: Adding name to the Parsi girl.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 10:46   #50
BHPian

Wow. Brought back memories of last years race.

So finally how many TBHPians participated.
What are the results. Mansi came 4th ,Dippy 6th, what about the rest?

come on we need more pics.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:03   #51
BHPian

Here are just three pics I have. you can see me with my Navigator.

Two Tbhpians in first 10 is a great feat. But it was sad that out of such a big community of ours, we just had handful of entires. Comeon guys, you could surely have one sunday of yours for such causes.

Let us have many more entries next year.

Mansi
Attached Images

manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:59   #52
BHPian

Last year we had significant entries. How many turned up this year?
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 13:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

The Blind Man Car Rally is always an exciting event and this year was no different. A perfect way to spend a Sunday morning with some very special friends. We had the briefing on Saturday where we were paired with our navigators and did a dummy run to see how well we, the drivers could co-ordinate with our partners. My navigator was Anita, who works at the NAB as a proof reader for text books and other reading material.Having done the dummy run successfully, I said good bye only to meet the next day for the actual rally. Other Bhpians who participated were Mansi(manaa45), Rehaan, Tejas, Arpan, Manoj(malgudi), manson. Ported head joined me as a passenger the next day.

We all assembled at the NAB at 7.30 in the morning. Met up with our respective navigators and chilled over a cup of tea near our cars. There was a slight delay in the flag off due to the passing convoy of the German President. Things finally got underway with film actress Asin flagging of the first few cars. ( I did not see her but I heard she was there)

The route was a bit tricky this time and it had us driving all over town and then heading to SAntacruz, BKC and even Bandstand before finally ending back at the NAB. Snack boxes and water kept our tummys happy during the drive. Though I did not get lost anywhere this time, I did have a confusing moment before we hit the first checkpoint. Not to mention the frantic phone calls from fellow Bhpians for the route which I promptly forwarded to Ported to take care off

Came back to the finish line at around noon, happy that I had not missed any checkpoints on the way. Rehaan and malgudi were not so lucky though. A sumptuous lunch courtesy Blue Sea followed after which the prize distribution took place.

Team BHP had two cars in the top 10 this time with Manaa coming home 4th which is amazing since this was her first rally and I came home in 6th. Great positions in a rally which had over 80 cars participating. We then spent some time chatting up with our new friends and left for our respective homes later.

These kind of experiences really leave you humbled. For those who think that these people don't lead a normal life you couldn't be more wrong. They lead a perfectly normal life and maybe even better than us. I was chatting with Pari who was there with her mother. She has been a navigator to Sam and Aditya in previous editions of this rally. Such a wonderful human being and not to mention beautiful too. I happened to ask her what her Sunday plans were after the rally and she went "Im having a girls night out tonite" . That brought a smile to my face. Guys if this isnt normal what is? These special people do everything we do and even better. My navigator Anita lives in Thane and travels to Worli everyday for work. The best part is, they are always smiling. There is definitely a lot to learn from these gifted people.

It was sad that many Bhpians did not take part this year as compared to last time but I hope everyone gets into the spirit we have a huge turnout next year.

The others should put down their experiences too.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:32   #54
Team-BHP Support

Another great blind man rally this year! We had a few TBHPians who were present last year (Dippy, Manson, Tejas & me) and two first-timers (Manaa45 & Malgudi).

My nav this year was an elderly gent named Mr. Rajgor. He had recently retired from the Happy Home School for the Blind (Worli), where he worked for 35 years -- 20 as a teacher, and 15 as the Vice-Principal. Now that he is retired he gives maths tutions from his home, and even teaches students about using the abacus!

Mr. Rajgor had done the rally last year as well - so we were both fairly relaxed about the whole trip. What ensued however was quite a comedy of errors. The usual missed turns, confusion with the notes, lack of working speedometer/odometer, jumping form page 1 to page 4 by mistake, missing checkpoints, running out of tulips, adding to the general confusion (for others who thought they would try and follow our car!).

Well ok, maybe we weren't actually doing SO bad. But things changed a little when we missed a checkpoint bang opposite the NAB (!!) and then ended up in prabhadevi w/o any further notes. We decided to turn around and head back to the NAB for a quick toilet break, after which my nav started to feel a little unwell (was it my driving ?!?) - so we decided to bow out of the competition gracefully at that point!

It was still a great event for us. Well organized and with lots of happy helpful and friendly people around.

The other Team-BHPians did have some 22km/h skills though. See the results below :

2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4-bmr-2010-results.png
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Another great blind man rally this year! We had a few TBHPians who were present last year (Dippy, Manson, Tejas & me) and two first-timers (Manaa45 & Malgudi).
Must compliment the Organisers, Marshals & other Volunteers for the splendid job they did in organising the Rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
malgudi total penalty points 150ish Approx
Whoah! I did miss the first check post & was driving a bit fast till the second checkpoint where I caught up with Dippy's No 34 Car. (my car was 46).
Shall Return next year to strike gold

For 1200 Rupees, you get to drive a rally, get snacks/b'fast, lunch, have a gala time & more importantly help the Blind people. A winner of a deal every which way you look at it.
Would request all TBHPians to join the next years rally.

P.S Thanks Rehaan for the TBHP Stickers.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 12:10   #56
Team-BHP Support

Was just kidding about the negative points guys

Manson finished in 26th place with 93 penalty points.

Malgudi actually did really well, but unfortunately missed the first two checkpoints - ending up with a DNF.

Full results attached in PDF format.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:19   #57
Team-BHP Support

Default Photos available

Just got an SMS saying that the photos of this years rally are now available : MumbaiRally.com

You can just enter your car number and it will give you a zip file with all the pics.

Nice URL and swanky new site, though i must admit its been a while since the rally - i'm having a hard time remembering my entry number

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd June 2010 at 16:21.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha! I remembered my car number. Here's the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4-tkcar50.jpg  

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote