Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 16th July 2010, 14:27   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post

Moreover, I guess most bikers use engine braking on track more than the discs. Its just difficult to handle the momentum of the car just by engine braking.
Very true, I have also experienced the same. On a bike, its fun to negotiate an acute turn with engine braking by shifting the gear down by a gear along with rpm matching...the same doesnt hold true with a car..Any explanations why so ?
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 14:32   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Are you sure you guys felt the NHC oversteer and not understeer!? The Mondeo has very good handling and even then it was understeering a bit. So I thought it would more in a car like the NHC.
sorry that was a typo i meant understeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Very true, I have also experienced the same. On a bike, its fun to negotiate an acute turn with engine braking by shifting the gear down by a gear along with rpm matching...the same doesnt hold true with a car..Any explanations why so ?
On the track on many turns i use engine braking by shifting down, works rather well.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 16th July 2010 at 14:33.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 15:34   #318
BHPian

Quote:

Simple : RWD v/s FWD

You can induce a bit of locking and wheelspin on a bike. As soon as that happens, a bit of control, and you can make the bike slide in the direction you like. Lo.. your turning radius is reduced.

In a FWD, you cant make the rear hang out even if you provide oodles of torque. Try the same with a RWD car, and I think you can find the nimbleness around the corner.
As one Mr JC said, the front wheels are for steering and the rear for driving.

p.s. : I was bitten by a rabid dog and i decided to remove the rev-limiter on my Gladiator. Coupled with a port job and a free flow air passage all throughout, it gives me way too much joy to just slide around corners rather than taking the clean line. I doesnt get me there faster (obviously), but it sure is more fun. The Tbird does it easily because of the oodles of torque from the RE mill. And nope, I am yet to highside or crash out. But one day I sure will.
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 16:41   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
sorry that was a typo i meant understeer.

On the track on many turns i use engine braking by shifting down, works rather well.
ye even I resort to engine braking, but its just that a bike is more fun !

I think what aqua said makes sense, RWD & FWD
Old 16th July 2010, 19:22   #320
BHPian

s3va:
Have you tried Heel & Toe downshifting?

Guys:
I can feel the fun that you all had.
I know I missed an awesome trackday.

For selfish reasons, I would urge all of you to consider a track day sometime in Aug 2010. I will verify on track availabilty and start another thread on the same.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:54   #321
Senior - BHPian

My first stint of the day.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 21:00   #322
Senior - BHPian

WOW: Nice video and a sweet motor man.. The 2nd and 3rd gears seem custom made for the track.

BTW, some action seems edited around 6:4xx ish

Sadly I did get to meet you that day though i came in a little late and saw the car go around..

What do you feel about teh mid corner bump at C1?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 21:42   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOW: Nice video and a sweet motor man.. The 2nd and 3rd gears seem custom made for the track.
Thanks. The gearing is stock. I found the ratios a bit wide for a NA engine. They would do much better on a Turbo setup.

I was actually running 41psi in the tyres during my first session. Tyres were barely gripping. Borrowed a pressure guage from the guys testing the race esteem and brought it down to 35psi for my vbox stint. I later got to know from the pros that even 35 was too high for the track. They recommend 26-28psi for best results.

Quote:
BTW, some action seems edited around 6:4xx ish
That bit isn't edited. The camera overheated and shut off for a while. LOL
I did a total of some 8-9 laps but only a few were recorded.

Quote:
Sadly I did get to meet you that day though i came in a little late and saw the car go around..
There's always next time.

Quote:
What do you feel about teh mid corner bump at C1?
A bit scary. During the later stages i had to actually take a slightly wider line to avoid the bump. They should pave that section asap. Wonder how the bikers were handling it.

I have another spectators view of the cars taking C1. Will post it later.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 19th July 2010 at 21:43.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:32   #324
Senior - BHPian

Some random shots my friend took.

Shan2nu
Old 19th July 2010, 23:39   #325
Senior - BHPian

shan2nu, you seem to be doing some 'rev matching' while changing gears at corners. How does that help?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:17   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shan2nu, you seem to be doing some 'rev matching' while changing gears at corners. How does that help?
This article exlains everyhting in detail.

Heel-and-toe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shan2nu
Old 20th July 2010, 09:17   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rev matching at shifting down is actually good for the clutch.They do that by using the heel and toe method.
It reduces stress on the driveline and the chances of wheel lock while engine braking is reduced a lot.
The nissan 370 Z has the syncro rev gearbox which does the rev matching automatically when downshifting.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 20th July 2010 at 09:19.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:57   #328
Senior - BHPian

@ Shantanu - superb video and lovely drive. the bassy note is still ringing in my ears.

checked out the other videos on your YT channel ALovely car - enjoy and take care.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 18:11   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
This article exlains everyhting in detail.

Heel-and-toe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shan2nu
The way I resort to is as follows, which differs slightly from the Wiki explanation

1) approach the turn, calculate the spot to brake,
2) depress the clutch , shift the gear down, release the clutch while simultaneously rev matching by pressing the required throttle.
3) apply the required brakes to slow down(brakes can also be applied simultaneously as required, along with step 2, when the clutch is released post rev matched )

correct me if am wrong somewhere
Old 21st July 2010, 19:58   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way I resort to is as follows, which differs slightly from the Wiki explanation

1) approach the turn, calculate the spot to brake,
2) depress the clutch , shift the gear down, release the clutch while simultaneously rev matching by pressing the required throttle.
3) apply the required brakes to slow down(brakes can also be applied simultaneously as required, along with step 2, when the clutch is released post rev matched )

correct me if am wrong somewhere
IN the second step the way I see it is , rev match it then release the clutch.
Or I might be wrong. Its difficult to put it in words. Its easier to do it I guess.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote