Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:02   #331
BHPian
 
raajks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BLR
Posts: 578
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

s3va:
What you are doing is BLIPPING, which is also ok.
But you would be losing the speed that you are carrying while you enter the corner.

Heel & Toe helps you to brake late while maintaining good corner entry speed and eases the pressure on clutch and transmission.

Use the link by Shan2nu and also search in the net, you will find plenty of videos.
Practise on empty roads and you will get a hang of the technique for sure.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:11   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
The way I resort to is as follows, which differs slightly from the Wiki explanation

1) approach the turn, calculate the spot to brake,
2) depress the clutch , shift the gear down, release the clutch while simultaneously rev matching by pressing the required throttle.
3) apply the required brakes to slow down(brakes can also be applied simultaneously as required, along with step 2, when the clutch is released post rev matched )

correct me if am wrong somewhere
You cannot start braking after revv matching.

The right way is to
1. Start braking with the toe of your foot.
2. Wait till the vehicle slows down to a speed where you can safely downshift to a lower gear.
3. While still on the brakes, press the clutch and downshift into the lower gear while blipping the throttle with the heel of the same foot.
4. Release the clutch when the engine speed is matched with the speed required for the gear you've just shifted into.

This vid should help you understand.



Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:44   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Found this really nice article on heel n toe braking.

Heel & toe shifting

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd July 2010 at 09:46.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:21   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Guys when you go on the track, how many instructors go out. Do you have sessions with drivers divided up on skill level? how many sessions does each run group get?

Is it mandatory to have a instructor with a newbie etc?

Just wondering how these practice sessions are handled.

Thanks
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:29   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

^ If you are asking about MMST pay and practice sessions , it is a free for all and anyone can take the track at any time they want during the allotted time (1-5pm)

edit - speaking of which , when is the next P&P session guys ?

Last edited by bottle : 17th September 2010 at 21:32.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:38   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Guys when you go on the track, how many instructors go out. Do you have sessions with drivers divided up on skill level? how many sessions does each run group get?

Is it mandatory to have a instructor with a newbie etc?

Just wondering how these practice sessions are handled.
That sounds too complicated. Over here, we just land up at the track and enjoy ourselves. LOL

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:40   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
That sounds too complicated. Over here, we just land up at the track and enjoy ourselves. LOL

Shan2nu
But thats not the idea of a track day. Organized fun is fun, safe and you learn.

I cant believe you guys think its too complicated.

We seriously need some organized events man..trust me, you cant imagine how much more fun organized events with instructors are.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:49   #338
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,724
Thanked: 9,036 Times
Default

!Day, there were organised track days till a couple of years back, with instruction, ambulance etc but the sheer numbers of people can be overwhelming. Luckily, a lot of them overheated their cars during initial enthusiasm so two hours later, it was fun.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:49   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
But thats not the idea of a track day. Organized fun is fun, safe and you learn.

I cant believe you guys think its too complicated.

We seriously need some organized events man..trust me, you cant imagine how much more fun organized events with instructors are.
Its not a track day. It's a pay n practice session. You come, pay, n drive around.

Some come just to have a good time, some come to test their cars to the best of their abilities and some pros come to fine tune their race machines.

The more you drive around, the more you learn from your experience.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 21:54   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Its not a track day. It's a pay n practice session. You come, pay, n drive around.

Some come just to have a good time, some come to test their cars to the best of their abilities and some pros come to fine tune their race machines.

The more you drive around, the more you learn from your experience.

Shan2nu
Sorry Shan2nu, I can tell you its the worst way of learning, because you never grow out of your habbits. Anyhow I have been to many pay n practice sessions at gingerman in michigan and even their its organized.

I do track days for Fun, not as a professional, thats why I am saying, your argument of , come and drive and have fun is totally wrong. Sorry but thats a hard fact. I am quite astonished that after having a facility like this in india, there is no organization managing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
!Day, there were organised track days till a couple of years back, with instruction, ambulance etc but the sheer numbers of people can be overwhelming. Luckily, a lot of them overheated their cars during initial enthusiasm so two hours later, it was fun.
You mean it was not fun.

Thats exactly my point, over heating is a problem even in my car at the events I goto. You do not stop because of that. This is part of learning. If the car over heats, you back off. If it consistantly is over heating then you find a cooling solution. I am working on a prototype transmission, engine cooling solution for the GT-R with a very well known chicago tuner. Infact we were out yesterday at my home track taking some temp datas.

I dont understand the sheer number problem. You have X number of slots, once they fill up, you dont take any more. You divide people into run groups and restrict continuous time on track by running 20 min sessions. We have 3-4 grps running every 20 mins, so in the day you have about 5 sessions which is a decent amount. Some orgs run 30 min sessions depending on the grp of people.

I dont see how it could have been worse than whats happening now.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th September 2010 at 23:21. Reason: Back to back posts.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:08   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Sorry Shan2nu, I can tell you its the worst way of learning, because you never grow out of your habbits. Anyhow I have been to many pay n practice sessions at gingerman in michigan and even their its organized.

I do track days for Fun, not as a professional, thats why I am saying, your argument of , come and drive and have fun is totally wrong. Sorry but thats a hard fact. I am quite astonished that after having a facility like this in india, there is no organization managing this.
Nobody over here is claiming to be a professional racing driver. People wanna have fun on track and that's what we do. I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you don't like the concept of a P 'n' P, wait till a proper trackday is organized, before you come on track. Simple as that....

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:20   #342
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Nobody over here is claiming to be a professional racing driver. People wanna have fun on track and that's what we do. I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you don't like the concept of a P 'n' P, wait till a proper trackday is organized, before you come on track. Simple as that....

Shan2nu
In my books and track goers it would be considered wrong(because you do not learn anything and you do not have a progress chart), but if its what you feel is "FUN", sure have "FUN"

Seems like the concept of tracking is still pretty foreign here..

Last edited by 1Day : 17th September 2010 at 22:22.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:31   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
In my books and track goers it would be considered wrong(because you do not learn anything and you do not have a progress chart), but if its what you feel is "FUN", sure have "FUN"
Your opinion is your opinion. Leave it at that.....

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:38   #344
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Your opinion is your opinion. Leave it at that.....

Shan2nu
Lets just say whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong, and leave it at that
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 23:11   #345
BHPian
 
Venom_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^ If you are asking about MMST pay and practice sessions , it is a free for all and anyone can take the track at any time they want during the allotted time (1-5pm)

edit - speaking of which , when is the next P&P session guys ?
Guys I believe that there is a trackday this sunday (19th Sep)... Anybody game?

Cheers!
Goutham
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMST Track Day: Pay & practice session on 24th July, 2016 (Sunday) d3mon Indian Motorsport 0 13th June 2016 10:57
MMST Track Day: *UPDATE: 15th June 2014 morning session* raajks Indian Motorsport 35 12th June 2016 22:04
MMST Trackday 12th Dec 2010 - Chennai Mpower Indian Motorsport 28 14th October 2011 18:09
MMST Track day 20/07/2008 Mission_Safari The Team-BHP Meet Section 61 25th July 2008 13:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks