Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 17th September 2010, 21:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Why is Road Racing / Tracking not a popular sport for individuals in India?

I understand Tracking is an expensive sport, but its directly proportional to the complexity of the car so why is it that I do not hear much on real track days happening in india. I had no clue that the Chennai race track was built in the late 80s. For such a wonderful facility available to the southern friends, why isnt the track used pretty much throughout the year every weekend or even every other weekend?

Do we have clubs that go out on the track, what about people proficient enough and familiar enough on the track to become instructors for newbies.

How many tracks do we have in india? and how many are coming up? Do you think now is the right time to entice the young/old rich and not so rich people to take part in this motorsport? What will it take?

I do a decent amount of tracking here in the states and this last summer has been action packed with more than 20 days and still 5-6 days to go. It hasnt been cheap but I have always been a real petrol head and cant imagine my life without it, now that I am moving back to india.

I know we have a lot of posers but I am sure since they are into cars, once you get them hooked esp with good instructions, they would make it a habbit and rather than going on sunday drives would tear up the cars in the sense they are meant to be torn.

What are your thoughts.

On a similar note, do you think north india and possibly western india could do with country clubs that cater to track junkies?
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote