Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 28th September 2010, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Default Learning extreme driving in Pune

Hi,

I would like to learn how to use extreme driving techniques like double-clutching, handbrake turns, drifting, hard braking etc. Is there any school which teaches this or are there any clubs which you can join and learn these things? I am not interested to try any of these tricks on road, in traffic. I'm a very safe driver but I would like to learn these things and try them on a track or use them in case of emergencies.

-Ganesh
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Ganesh, for how many years have you been legally driving on public roads?
Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 21:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Ganesh, for how many years have you been legally driving on public roads?
2 years, approximately 40,000 KM so far.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Only if we had regular HPDEs and some tracks to goto.

I am sure if you goto rally school, you might learn few of these things
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Double clutching etc is really worthless for street driving and is only required in performance driving on the track. Also when you say that I am assuming you mean rev matching while down shifting, when you shift up, its not really required.

By hard break turns, if you mean threshold braking / trail braking, then you would never need it and shouldnt try it on the road, all these tools are meant for track driving.

Also what track do you have close to you in pune?

This is the thing about US i am going to miss the most, going to the track 3-4 days in the month. Love tracking..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
I would like to learn how to use extreme driving techniques like double-clutching, handbrake turns, drifting, hard braking etc. Is there any school which teaches this or are there any clubs which you can join and learn these things?
Rally school at Khopoli (Between Pune and Mumbai) (Report & Pics: New Race Track outside Mumbai at Khopoli (AutoMission Rally School))

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
--> double-clutching :- What is this means ?
K,

Please see this thread :

What is double clutching, and whats the reason to use it?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th September 2010 at 14:33.
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 16:15   #7
BANNED

Hey, I can teach you all of this for Free if you want!! You should have told this to me a little earlier maybe. Before I left. All we need is a large ground and YOUR car.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 21:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Hey, I can teach you all of this for Free if you want!! You should have told this to me a little earlier maybe. Before I left. All we need is a large ground and YOUR car.
When are you coming back?

Thanks a ton for both the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Double clutching etc is really worthless for street driving and is only required in performance driving on the track. Also when you say that I am assuming you mean rev matching while down shifting, when you shift up, its not really required.

By hard break turns, if you mean threshold braking / trail braking, then you would never need it and shouldnt try it on the road, all these tools are meant for track driving.

Also what track do you have close to you in pune?

This is the thing about US i am going to miss the most, going to the track 3-4 days in the month. Love tracking..
Thanks for writing in but if you notice, you haven't really answered ANY of my questions. If you know of some places where I could learn this, I'd be grateful to know.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I would like to learn how to use extreme driving techniques like double-clutching, handbrake turns, drifting, hard braking etc.

-Ganesh
Most of the techniques mentioned above have next to no use on the roads as such except perhaps hard braking. Hand brake turns, I dont see no use unless one wants to show off, which again is plain dumb on public roads and drifting techniques are helpful only when the roads are super slippery *read iced* . But good to see someone wanting to learn the "tricks" to improve driving skills and your insistence on doing it in a safe place. Good for you! And as 1Day has said, you need a proper school to teach you the driving techniques or events like HPDE's which as far as Im aware of, are almost non-existent up there in the north . There are programs held at Kari motorway by Akbar Ibrahim but even those are not exactly driving events in road cars. More like karting and racing schools. But you can still learn all the performance techniques there and if you ask me, that is probably your best bet. OR you could have a friend who knows the techniques to help you out albeit not in public roads but closed grounds etc. Hope that helps.

cheers

Last edited by prashanth_benz : 30th September 2010 at 08:18.
prashanth_benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
2 years, approximately 40,000 KM so far.
1) In those two years/40k km of experience how many accidents have you had?

2) Is it two years/40k of four-wheeler driving, two-wheeler driving or both?

3) What kind of vehicles were used to gain the experience?
Dose is offline   Reply With Quote