Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 12th January 2011, 13:06   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Desert Storm 2011

Hi all,

I had a bad experience (don't wish to use the expletives) this morning with a silver color Chevrolet Forester car (with registration number DL 3XX 3333) which had 'Desert Storm official' sticker on it's driver RHS door (think was on the LHS door too but am not sure).

I was on my way to office in Gurgaon and was on the raod that connects Gurgaon-Faridabad road to MG road. I was in the extreme right lane and there was a Honda city in the 3rd lane (this road is a 3 lane road). Out of nowhere, this Forester overtakes me from the left (middle lane) and was tailed by (not sure if it was) a ANHC or a Dezire (normally am good with cars, so you can imagine my horror that it took me a while to realise what had happened; guess both of them were racing with scant regard for people on the road). What's worse is that right ahead of us (as these 4 cars are sandwiched together) is a blind left turn (a good 45 degree turn) with merging traffic from MG road.

I caught the Forester's number and sticker bit from the corner of the eye before both the cars zoomed away into merging traffic. Now this is my concern; since I signed up for Team-BHP and now that I adorn the stickers on my rear windscreen, I have become responsible on the road People notice your passion for driving (LTD, got-BHP etc) which reflects on T-BHP too. This person must have earned his laurels at Desert Storm too. Am sure we all see enough of moronic driving now adays. At least the passionate lot (and hopefully responsible too) should be a little more law obedient. My 2 cents, if this 'Desert Storm coveted official' reads this post and drives more carefully in future, we will have one less aggressive driver on the road.

Regards, Sid
sid1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 14:01   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well said Sid.

"You drive on road and not race" is what we always preach at what ever motor sport events. I do hope the 3333 reads this and realises his folly.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 14:53   #63
BHPian

Hey Guys,

A lady friend of mine is looking for a lady navigator for Desert Storm 2011. She is already registered and is now missing a navigator. Please help!
Would appreciate if you could email me directly.

Thanks
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 17:06   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I am wondering what to do with those extra kilometres of track that the last recce of Rann threw up.

If I join all in to a single track it will surpass 300kms!! "Itni jaan hamare bechare competitors mein kahan??"
Old 18th January 2011, 17:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Hi all,

I had a bad experience (don't wish to use the expletives) this morning with a silver color Chevrolet Forester car (with registration number DL 3XX 3333) which had 'Desert Storm official' sticker on it's driver RHS door (think was on the LHS door too but am not sure).

I was on my way to office in Gurgaon and was on the raod that connects Gurgaon-Faridabad road to MG road. I was in the extreme right lane and there was a Honda city in the 3rd lane (this road is a 3 lane road). Out of nowhere, this Forester overtakes me from the left (middle lane) and was tailed by (not sure if it was) a ANHC or a Dezire (normally am good with cars, so you can imagine my horror that it took me a while to realise what had happened; guess both of them were racing with scant regard for people on the road). What's worse is that right ahead of us (as these 4 cars are sandwiched together) is a blind left turn (a good 45 degree turn) with merging traffic from MG road.

I caught the Forester's number and sticker bit from the corner of the eye before both the cars zoomed away into merging traffic. Now this is my concern; since I signed up for Team-BHP and now that I adorn the stickers on my rear windscreen, I have become responsible on the road People notice your passion for driving (LTD, got-BHP etc) which reflects on T-BHP too. This person must have earned his laurels at Desert Storm too. Am sure we all see enough of moronic driving now adays. At least the passionate lot (and hopefully responsible too) should be a little more law obedient. My 2 cents, if this 'Desert Storm coveted official' reads this post and drives more carefully in future, we will have one less aggressive driver on the road.

Regards, Sid
This guy overtook you from the left coz you did not leave the right lane open for overtaking. Please realise that we cannot hog / block the right lane which is meant for fast moving vehicles. If you would have maintained your position in the centre lane where you actually should have been, then these cars could have passed without a problem. I hope you realise that you are the cause for this car having to overtake you from the left.

And when you say they came out of nowhere, it means you were not even looking in your rear view mirror. They obviously came from behind you. They might have even flashed their lights or / and honked for you to give way. And when you didn't, there were left with no choice but to overtake you from the left and be on their way.

Rather than complain about the way someone is driving, you should have analysed why they had to drive that way. And I hope you have now realised that the culprit is you.

DON'T HOG THE RIGHT LANE.
No one can come out of nowhere to overtake you. They always come from behind you. So do pay attention to your rear view mirrors.

Wishing you safe driving on the streets. And believe me when I tell you, you are not safe in the right most lane.
mazdayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 18:16   #66
BHPian

Sudev, I'm on the lookout for a suitable GPS device for the storm. Could you kindly recommend a model (one that wont be obsolete too soon and supports offroad custom maps).
aditya79india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 18:58   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

As Garmin 76CSx is discontinued I would suggest either of Garmin GPSMap 60CSx or Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

I have not used non Garmin products so really cannot comment.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdayar View Post
This guy overtook you from the left coz you did not leave the right lane open for overtaking.
==============
Wishing you safe driving on the streets. And believe me when I tell you, you are not safe in the right most lane.
Hi Mazdayar,

I will refrain from any war of words. I guess since you announced me as the culprit I will have to rest my case. Since you seem to know everything that happened on that stretch and also what I was doing at that very instance, I feel dumb about reporting what I experienced. I have learnt my lesson and henceforth will leave 'all the lanes' for such 'disciplined' drivers and their street stunts.

Good news is that 'someone' has come out educated from this experience. I feel enriched.

Cheers, Sid
sid1509 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 21:23   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay all : Can we have this thread back at DS11??

This is my posting on FaceBook today:
"Desert Storm : The Ultimate Adventure : Sudev Barar Is wondering what to do with those extra kilometres of track that the last recce of Rann threw up. If I join all in to a single track it will surpass 300kms!! Itni jaan hamare bechare competitors mein kahan??"

So what do you think?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:53   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you ready?
There are going to be five stages in Desert Storm 2011 that are going to cross the 100kms mark!!
Including one monster stage of 300kms!!!
Old 21st January 2011, 00:31   #71
BHPian

Sudevji, Could you pls check your pm.

Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:20   #72
BANNED

Sudev Sir,

What about Ndure?
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:11   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Kyun? Ndure ki endurance nahin test karni??
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:51   #74
BANNED

auxiliary fuel tank to karwa do phir!!
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 23:03   #75
BHPian

Sudevji, I've heard of a certain rally tuner Mr. Dharampal near ashram more. Do you have any contact details that you may kindly share?