Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 8th November 2011, 02:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Maharashtra plans to build F1 Racing Track

It's one thing when private investors suggest such projects, but why the Govt. must get into such projects is well, way beyond me. When half the country sits in darkness due to lack of adequate power and half the country starves, the Govt. wants to spend tax-payers' money on building something that already exists!

What in the world is the Maharashtra Govt. doing? Mumbai needs a facelift. No. It needs a makeover. Eradicate the slums. Clean up the city. Improve public transport. Lay fresh roads. And only then build another F1 race track.

And if they're really really keen, why don't they build a racing academy with a go-kart track et al, and nurture young talent, instead of building another massive venue for something that happens once a year!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 02:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Another issue is that a F1 race in Mumbai will simply create negative coverage, trust me!! The media especially the influential English ones live in this pre colonial mindset that we Indians are still struggling without the East India management. Its highly evident in any news coverage surrounding India.

The CWG was a well managed event. Of course there was horrible corruption, delays etc..etc...but the actual event, athletes never felt the lack of anything, no untoward incidents, good opening/closing ceremonies etc...but the media especially the English (read UK) ones kept focusing on the negatives. They declared the even as a embarrassment for India and our incumbent media followed this tagline, so much for imaginative journalism eh!!!

The best thing about the Delhi F1 was the fact that the city is visibly among the more decent ones in India (let aside the pollution issues). Despite the persistent efforts the foreign media could not pin point the 'abject poverty' and display the contrasts. I'm not saying this does not exist, it does similar to China, Brazil, even Eurpoe now . The lack of democracy in the Middle East et..etc... there are political implications everywhere but Indian coverage always has a negative bias.

Holding an F1 event in Mumbai will be like serving the negatives on a plate for such media folk. I know Mumbai has plenty of positives, I've lived there myself, but such people will seek out the poverty that's easily visible, lack of cleanliness (the list is exhaustive).

If the authorities want to show of Mumbai to the world, they should..great idea, but only after they get the basics right. And the fact is they are a long long way from that. It is after all the commercial capital of India, it deserves to be in a far better state of affairs than what it is now.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 01:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Here is some more positive news for people wishing for a proper track in the western part of the country. Mumbai in fast lane to its F1 track - Mumbai - DNA
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 07:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

You can't have two Indian GPs and the Buddh circuit is just so perfect that FIA may not consider this track for F1.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:00   #35
BHPian

If the MH government is wasting even a single taxpayers rupee on this project, I wish someone drags them to the court. We as a country have many other priorities to do other than just Formula One.

And yeah we definitely need more Karting tracks.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 10:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

F1 or not its high time there is a proper track where people can have trackdays. We have the fastest cars in the country in the region but no places to track the cars. As a petrolhead i would love to see a track in this part of the country. Many countries have multiple racing circuits which have been used for F1. India's time has come now. With the huge urban population in the MMR and Pune region they probarbly cacluated a potential. If it is a revenue generator for the Govt, i would say bring it on.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 8th December 2011 at 10:15.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 14:42   #37
Team-BHP Support

This effort goes a step ahead as the Government of Maharashtra invites global tenders for building an F1 track:

News source: Hindustan Times.

Quote:
Global tenders will be invited for building the Formula 1 track through private participation, the state government announced on Thursday.

Public works (Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation) minister Jaidutt Kshirsagar told the legislative council that the

government was in the process of identifying the 350-acre land needed for the racing track at Adhai near Panvel. Once the plot is finalised, the global bidding process to construct the track on a build-operate-transfer basis would begin.

Of the 450 acres required for the track, the MSRDC has got 100 acres from the state government. Capita Symonds, the consultant appointed by the MSRDC, had finalised the plot after surveying 12 spots in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and is now checking its availability.
Kshirsagar told the upper House that the track would encourage tourism and sport activities in the MMR. “The Rs1,500-crore project will comprise sports, adventure, entertainment activities and will prove to be significant for the development of the MMR,” he said.
Ashish Shelar (Bharatiya Janata Party) had inquired about the appointment of the consultant. “The consultant has built six Formula 1 tracks and nine Olympic stadiums in various parts of the world. The company was selected from two bidders and their expected consulting fee is Rs8.96 crore,” Kshirsagar said.
The proximity of Adhai to the proposed international airport gives it an upper edge over the spots. “Though the MSRDC is bound to help the company to acquire land, the acquisition will have to be done by the company at market price through negotiation,” said an officer.
He added that though the estimated price of the project is Rs. 1,500 crore, it could go to Rs. 3,000 crore if delayed further.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 14:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Planning to build a track is alright, but I hope they also spoke to business man Bernie about their plans before they decided to call it an F1 track

Having 2 races in India on the calendar is not going to be possible, may be India can try to do what Japan has been doing with the Fuji & Suzuka circuits.

A track outside of Mumbai city is always a good thing for the big number of petroheads in & around Mumbai, but what is the plan to promote and build young talents within the country. All we got is an Indian company owning a British F1 team. I think we should do much more than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This effort goes a step ahead as the Government of Maharashtra invites global tenders for building an F1 track:

News source: Hindustan Times.
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 15:02   #39
Team-BHP Support

Perhaps they meant "building a race track on Formula 1 standards".
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 15:20   #40
BHPian

This thread itself has been updated three times since 2010 about tenders to build a race track in MH . Am sure this will run to a few dozen pages with annual updates about new tenders.
neoranjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Good idea, so that they can protest about water usage to irrigate the run off areas!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:56   #42
BHPian

They are trying to build a new airport around Panvel for the past 15 years. The land-acquisition is still not over. As much I would love a have a race track in my vicinity, I have no hopes of this happening. Sorry, just being practical.
ashtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 17:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

I assume this is to pocket some cash via tendering and associated works. I don't understand the intention. There are several other sports that need immediate attention in India. Hockey (our so called national sport - It no more is as per a recent study), Soccer etc can also receive some help.

If they are really interested in developing motorsports, more karting tracks is the way to start. No one becomes Vettel or Weber overnight, do they?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:56   #44
BHPian

Why don't they junk the absurd idea of two 1500 crore tracks in the country and build ten 150 cr tracks in the metros across the country.

It will fundamentally change the nature of motorsport in India. And the mindset of people as well.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:27   #45
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2013 at 14:32.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction