Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: running NOS cars vs NON-NOS cars..is it fair ????
yes,run all the cars in 1 category only,cant do much for those who cant afford NOS.. 11 13.75%
no..have two separate classes for FI(forced induction) and NON- FI.. 70 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd December 2005, 19:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Sideways, Nitrous induces cylinder pressures of close to 60psi over and above normal combustion pressures. There's no way you can get a phenomenal power increase without achieving pressure increase in a limited space.

Neo, wet shot is safer, since fuel measurement is precalculated. And nitrous installs ARE much easier than turbo installs, and definitely much much easier than good head jobs. Also, with a wet shot, or mutliple nozzles, a la Pro Fogger, you can go much higher than 75 bhp. Some Indian cars themselves run that much on the strip.

Tom, Ganguly's not in the team?
Hey Viper, I agree with u on the idea that WET shot is safe, but tell me how many people has the capability to do that precalculated fuel stuff here (AIR FUEL MAPPING)... I dont reckon many... and That requires whole lotsa other work to be done on the ECU, Right. Or else Detonation in the valve chamber or even before that would the price we would pay.

I considered DRY shot is the easiest becoz someone can get away with a small amount of Nitrous shots on a stock car generating small amount of power. Easier for DIY freaks like myself. And the figure 75 bhp i have suggested is the max for a dry shot on a tuned car... Imports not indian cars.

I definitely agree that Turbo setup is much tougher than Nitrous... coz I learned that lesson the hard way...

I respect the amount of knowledge you have, I am just talkin about my experience. Forgive me bro for the mistakes...
general_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 19:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
I dont wanna participate in a handicapped battle...for that I have the roads

For that we have the roads... Right Wolf... hehehe
Old 23rd December 2005, 19:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo
I do agree to what u have said.
But i have' nt yet see a turbo indian car in bangalore,that has more than 75 hp over stock.So until the turbo cars get much quicker than what they are... the nos guys won't have that much of a problem
Give me six months and lotsa cash....
I will tune my zingy to have Additional 75BHP...
Promise...
Old 23rd December 2005, 19:43   #19
BHPian

I know any one can tune their cars to whatever bhp , i don't want to speculate on that.As of the previous drag, the nos cars where faster than turbo cars.
There s a lot of work involved to get more than 75hp using a turbo. So there is a time factor . So until then these cars arrive on the scene,we can get away using nos.
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

I've said it before and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
1) The scrutiny for the present events is nothing but a joke. Qualified technical scrutineers should be deputed to check the winning vehicles according to rules.

2) NOS/Turbo should have a separate category, according to displacement. i.e. the usual 800/1000/1300/2000 cc classes should be differentiated by prefixing NA & FA (normal aspiration & forced aspiration) to the respective displacement class. This nonsense of multiplication factors demands to be consigned to the dustbin.

3) There should be OPEN classes just like there are now. There is no point in banning them because it curbs creativity and technical advancement. The present grouping of Indian open & Foreign open is satisfactory.

As for NOS not being forced induction, thats a ****load of crap. As v1p3r said cylinder pressures spike whenever NOS is engaged. There is no other way that the engine can make extra power at the same RPM. This is basic theory and I dont want to sound like a nerd repeating the same.

NOS is NOS. Period. Whether it is wet, dry or full of Chanel No.5, it doesnt matter. Thats where tuners get to show their skill. A homebuilt nitrous system, built by someone who knows what he is doing, CAN AND WILL outperform the best in the business when it comes to peak horsepower. Thats why NOS/Turbo requires a different category with no nonsense of multiplication factors.

The_Wolf, going by what you said, tomorrow if I get a top fueler from the US and blow everyone in the foreign open class away with a 4-second run, are you prepared to accept that I have money and you dont, despite the fact that you and others in the class spent several crores getting your 1000bhp Skyline/Supra etc? Is this fair?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The_Wolf, going by what you said, tomorrow if I get a top fueler from the US and blow everyone in the foreign open class away with a 4-second run, are you prepared to accept that I have money and you dont, despite the fact that you and others in the class spent several crores getting your 1000bhp Skyline/Supra etc? Is this fair?
You may blow everyone in the foreign open once!The next time we may see two top fuelers......
PS. If u can get a top fueler down definitely u have the money.
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:21   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well sideways i know for the fact that NOS cannot be classified as direct FI..but if u see the drag rules abroad all seem to have changed and are categorizing NOS also as a part of FI now..then why this in india..

lets not get into the organisizers point of view now..as it is we have quite a lot of speculations and rumours running around that the scrutinzers arent doing their job that they are assigned to..so at this point i dont think they are least bothered if they are to run an extra class..btw how often do u see safety of spectators and those participating being taken into consideration..i certainly fail to see that in any of the thus far held drags..all that matters seems to be the collections they seem to get out of organizing the entire event..we are heading out with brickbats to blame our journalist/reporters that they can never get their auto reports/shows right..how often have we seen our event organizers getting it right..atleast those reporters do it to earn a few bucks but the so called organizers are doing to popularize the sport isnt it ?? so people like me wouldnt buy that excuse saying that they are all tied up as it is,so lets not bother them with more..i know there are a few(like urself) who really work honestly but im speaking about the majority which seem to be getting away with their whims and fancies..we have had enough of golmal with the timing lights,the timing slips name it et all..

coming to the point of NOS i know we dont have capable enough turboed cars as of now,but then why run these 1 or 2 cars under a separate category with multi's..instead why not run them in the same category as stock cars and NOSed cars..as far as my knowledge goes the TCed cars now might be running around 75 bhp (just an assumption) over stock,but have a look at the NOSed cars.zens are running a 35 shot,esteems 60 shot(which is just around 50 % more than what the stock engines are pumping out) and the list goes on..so effectively the boost is as good as TC..isnt that a reason enough to run them in separate categories..ok lets not waste time for a separeate category..why not let these cars RUN IN THE OPEN CLASS then and leave the other cars to run in the respective classes..that way it would even out things..

one more question how much of credit is a NOS install giving to a tuners work when compared to a TC..in my opinion none..and we have tall claims from tuners across the country about their head works etc wherein all i see is that advantage being primararily bcoz of a NOS install and nothing more..

lets not get into detailing wet,dry,DP shots and all..rather classify all types of NOS into the same category as TC,SC etc..

one more question sideways tomorrow if it so happens that u end up running ur lancer against only GTR's,ferraris,EVO's,lambos,vipers etc do u think u will react the same way saying that thats ok lets not waste time of the organizers,rather be quite myself thinking that im not competitive enough..whereas the truth is that those cars would be way more powerful and need to run in a separate class alltogether..ur car is competant enough for the class its specified(like the 1.6l,1.8l,2.0l class) but such blatant rules of running 3l cars and all seems FAIR enough to u ??

why all this fuss ?? bcoz someones got to make a start somewhere..if not we would still have been under the british rule..if at all these changes do happen in the future then it would primararily be bcoz someone somewhere made a start..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:28   #23
BANNED

Quote:

As for NOS not being forced induction, thats a ****load of crap. As v1p3r said cylinder pressures spike whenever NOS is engaged. There is no other way that the engine can make extra power at the same RPM. This is basic theory and I dont want to sound like a nerd repeating the same.

NOS is NOS. Period. Whether it is wet, dry or full of Chanel No.5, it doesnt matter. Thats where tuners get to show their skill. A homebuilt nitrous system, built by someone who knows what he is doing, CAN AND WILL outperform the best in the business when it comes to peak horsepower. Thats why NOS/Turbo requires a different category with no nonsense of multiplication factors.

the 1st two paras are very well said ananth..appreciate that there atleast a few who think similarly..

and wolf i dont buy ur logic that until u get the money u need to sit back and relax..that day might never come with the increase in technological advancements,with every passing day even ur existing NOS kits will become obsolete in no time...then what will u do, wait until ur competant enough to buy whats in demand..and thus this goes on until u realise that ur too old to take part in drags and need to concentrate on family life..so where's the talent upbringing here..
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
coming to the point of NOS i know we dont have capable enough turboed cars as of now,but then why run these 1 or 2 cars under a separate category with multi's..instead why not run them in the same category as stock cars and NOSed cars..as far as my knowledge goes the TCed cars now might be running around 75 bhp (just an assumption) over stock,but have a look at the NOSed cars.zens are running a 35 shot,esteems 60 shot(which is just around 50 % more than what the stock engines are pumping out) and the list goes on..so effectively the boost is as good as TC..isnt that a reason enough to run them in separate categories..ok lets not waste time for a separeate category..why not let these cars RUN IN THE OPEN CLASS then and leave the other cars to run in the respective classes..that way it would even out things..
I presume u are suggesting another class apart from the indian open.
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha!!! I like that!!

I would rather go to Japan to bring something big!!!

And I like the 4 sec car, so the figures might be 380MHP in 4 secs!!! Must be jet engined...
One of the best drag car i have heard of is the 6.5 secs Toyota during a drag. 198Mph is 6.5secs... wow!!! tats a whooping 320 kmh
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
coming to the point of NOS i know we dont have capable enough turboed cars as of now,but then why run these 1 or 2 cars under a separate category with multi's..instead why not run them in the same category as stock cars and NOSed cars....

That way nos cars have some competition.
We may get to see some turbo + nos cars........
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:47   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo

That way nos cars have some competition.
We may get to see some turbo + nos cars........
then what about newcomers ???
where is the incentive,how does the racing community grow in that case..

so is racing a passtime only for the rich ??

PS : and we hope to get more drivers into F1 with this attitude..thats ridiculous..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd December 2005 at 20:50.
Old 23rd December 2005, 20:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there is a day when people in India start racing with top fuel dragsters it will have a class of its own coz its a dragster... The discussion here is about tuned fast cars and not dragsters remmember that. Dragsters dont belong to foreign open cars class JFYI!!!
Even if I have agree to whatever you are saying, yes I wouldnt participate in foreign open class if I dont have a dragster amongst others.simple.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 21:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
then what about newcomers ???
where is the incentive,how does the racing community grow in that case..
Newcomers don't expect to win at their very first attempt do they??
Keep entering events make ur car faster at very event..... give urself some time.
Once u get closer to the top. They spring some surprises.
If i may quote an example, even JD's lancer did'nt run 12 at the very first run. I think he started at 15s.When fastest foreign cars(supras and porsche) ran 13 something.
Where was the incentive for JD?.He had 13 sec cars for competition,turbo, nitrous and all..
Old 23rd December 2005, 21:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, what about other mods like compression, cams, valve upsize, ITB, chips. These things cost money and make a big difference too.
By the time you clearly define all the rules, you'll end up with nice fat book......the rule book.

That's why its better to start with what is/was out there for rally cars. Gp. N stock and Gp A modified and maybe an open class with only a cc limit (turbo, super or NOS). New comers with start in GpN. Or maybe have a super-stock where you can just borrow your uncle's car and drag it.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd December 2005 at 21:19.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote