Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: Will F1 come to india or not -
a) yes 14 51.85%
b) no 11 40.74%
c) cant say 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th July 2004, 22:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Naaa...its not logical to have F1 right now, coz, our economy needs a big boost first. Besides it will be very expensive to have a race here.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 09:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

In reality, only 21 people make good money out of F1 - Bernie Ecclestone and the 20 drivers, the rest burn money for the image
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 12:01   #18
Tom
BHPian

but not all driver are paid are they? some drivers have to pay up for their seat
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

I really dont see F1 coming to India in the near future. I really wished it did but after seeing the infrastructure at the Sepang circuit on my trip to the GP earlier this year I really dont know if we will be able to pull it off.

Acess to the circuit has to be easy and KL has pulled it of well by managing to build the race track 10 min away from the airport. Here we have to build a new airport apart from the track. Our customs are not really efficient enough to clear the team crew, the cars and other equipment , fuel etc.. in an extremely short while.

And of course security arrangements to avoid chaos which we Indians are famous for. The crowd at the GP in KL was the same like at any cricket match but unlike here everyone was walking down to the parking lot in a very diciplined manner no pushing etc..

Access to a major highway is also necessary after the race since the traffic is really bad on the way home eg my drive home to KL city from the circuit. Huge free way 6 lanes each totally jammed.

And its not a consitent money making business unless you have races conducted throughout the year. The Malaysian GP is running in losses infact.

So F1 coming to India is really doubtful.. atleast not anytime soon.

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2004, 18:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

Its simple really.

A F1 track will not make money...thats a proven fact. the only reason countries have F1 races, and now I'm talking the new races - China, Bahrain, KL - is because the Government of that country has supported it to the max realising that the money that accompanies F1 is good for the economy and the image boost is good for tourism.

unfortunately our Govt. does not think like that. Even if we do have one party supporting a race, you have the opposition condemning it just for the hell of it!

Without the complete support of any Govt. no new F1 circuit can be successfully built and run anywhere in the world. So, despite all the hopefuls in India and all the newspaper reports, the chances of a F1 race making into India are almost non-existant.

But hey, KL isn't that far off is it? Its just sad that we have to go to another country and give our money to another Govt. coz our Babu's are to bloody ignorant and arrogant!

Rtech
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 13:52   #21
BHPian

F1 would come to India, but not before 2010 atleast, and with Turkey and Russia putting in their bids for F1 in the near future it reduces chances of F1 coming to India unless they cancel some races in the season which is kinda uinlikely at the moment.

most importantly though is that India needs the infrastructure to hold an F1 event for that India needs lot of time as we all move realy slowly here

well all in good time i guess, but nothing for sure
papps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 13:57   #22
Tom
BHPian

the poll should have been.... "should" F1 come to india
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Default what do you think?????

Does Motorsports have any future in India....as in will we ever get to see F1 happening in India.................?
Vikas Mawandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 16:07   #24
BHPian

I think it has an excellent future...F1 might come to India if not in the next 2-3 yrs then probably a bit later. But with the advent of A1 GP we might just see a race happening in India in the near future. One more point to notice is the popularity of motorsports is on the rise and more motorsporting events are being organised...
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 17:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Let's first see some legal drags happening. And right now our track-population ratio is 1:500000000, so that would need to change too.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 20:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Motorsports have any future in India....as in will we ever get to see F1 happening in India.................?
The problem is that when we think of Motorsport, the only name that pops up is "F1".

At this point (especially after the US GP) i couldn't care less about F1. They don't deserve to be called the epitome of motorsport anymore.

As for the future of motorsport in India, i think A1GP, GT racing, WTCC, WRC/APRC and even Moto GP would be a much more realistic approach.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 20:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem with motorsports is similar to the problem with cricket. Everyone loves cricket when there is an international series but the local matches hardly get any interest.

There is some excellent racing going on in Chennai and Coiambatore, but there is no enthusiast following or TV coverage to speak of. Only when the crowds come, the sponsors will follow and then the TV coverage....... and the sport will grow.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 20:35   #28
BHPian

The F1 might enter India in a few year's time and the Rallies go on as usual...the one thing hardly seen once or twice a year is Drag Racing....

when will that really kick off in India? In the last 2 years i've seen only 3 Drag events in B'lore city!!!
speedfreak7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 21:01   #29
BHPian

soon i will be organising a legal drag race in delhi
Old 10th July 2005, 21:09   #30
BHPian

I heard that there was a F1 track being made in Hyderabad but now there is no news about was it a rumour or wat