Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 5th February 2006, 00:16   #76

Default Funny what you find when looking for mod info...

Hi guys,

I'm just here visiting from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada and found my cousins car to be running rough. While searching the net for info about the car, I found this site - and this thread. (As a hobby - I'm a race mechanic - Canadian Pro Rally team, as well a winning Pike's Peak team in 2004. (www.mach2racing.com))

While looking for info on my cousins Contessa I turned up a thread on this forum. I searched the forum for Contessa and found this thread on the track day - turns out we're just 10 KM from the track so I hope to come out sometime on the 5th to see the track and you guys running - hopefully even meet some of you as well.

Back home I'm also part of a small motorsports club (www.qcma.org) and we do all sorts of racing as well. I drive a 505 Peugeot Turbo sedan (2.2L Turbo petrol 5-sp) for fun in the summer, and an AWD Subaru for winter fun.

I'm hoping to be able to come out after I get the Contessa running nice (Hopefully a complete tune up helps!) If all goes well - I can get some nice action pictures of the cars and bikes in action!

Rabin
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 03:41   #77
Team-BHP Support

Hey Bean,

Race mechanic as a hobby!!! Sounds great!
Some good photographs would really be appreciated by all the members who arent able to make it to the track!

And BikerSG, videos would be awesome too!!.....good turnout this time!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 16:08   #78

Default Dang - Ran out of time...

Hey guys,

The Chennai track is very impressive - I'm envious of such a nice facility that you all can take advantage of with such relative ease.

Sadly though I only had about an hour to spare, so I saw the tail end of the bikes and a bit of the open wheel cars. I was hoping to see the grey Contessa run - but no luck. I'd love a report on the results - it'd be cool to see how the cars compared in times since I did get to check out a few of the cars in the paddock area.

Highlight was the Aprilla! What a gorgeous machine, and the first I've EVER seen up close.

I'll definitely be coming back to India - and I'll definitely be checking out the forum from home (Canada).

After seeing a multitude of things we don't have -or can't get easily I'm thinking that I need to look into importing stuff!

Rabin
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 20:18   #79
Team-BHP Support

Just got back in...awesome

Here goes my story. Hooked up with the old man and Jaggu at 5.00am and set offf in the fog. Stopped in Kolar for breakfast and regrouped (kind off) with Sanjay Agarwal (rally esteem), Ranjit (twin cam Zen ) and some bloke in an accent viva. Waited for them to finish breakfast and ...well they sped off

To cut a long story short, I zoomed on while rudra and jaggu got stuck behind traffic, juggling cd's, driver seats and various other pstops (SIC). Reach a little late but they were 15 min behind me.

After signing in etc. Karun Chandok began the briefing. Cars were inspected. I had to store everything in the Optra. We were then group behind Ayub Khan who showed us the lines. Being at the back of 10 cars, was a bit difficult seeing the lines as the cars were all over the place. Three laps later, it was a free for all. I took it easy but was astounded how the Vtec rolled.

After that, it was time for the superbikes. Then came the second session. This time, I increased the pace and unknowingly, I screwed up the lines on the last few corners (theory and practice are v different). Additionally, the Vtec did not like the track, I was slowing down and the rear kept tipping all the weight onto the front. My soft NCT's could not take it. As a result, I was drifting. According to one person, the front end was in place but the rear had a mind of its own. I did drift of the track. Nothing happened though

All Pics - courtesy of Rudra

If you note this pic, the weight transfer has started before the wheels have started turning in

Session over, I went into the pits extremely dissatisfied and drove out for fuel. While filling, I found that the left passenger front was worn down to the steel mesh. Filled up, went back and did a tyre change and decided to retire the car...not myself. To start another flaming discussion - wonderfull road car as it is, the Vtec sucks as a track car - another City retired off in the same manner. None of the City's did spectacularly

[/quote]

Signed up for the FISSME's in the evening and the Esteem for the next day morning. Rudra, Jaggu and myself then went out for lunch and returned. The FISSME was aweful to get in and awesome on the track. This time, I got the lines correct and really did well - never spun it.

Next day, took an Esteem racer - not your usual daily driver. Was given a three lap demo and then given the wheel - a great driver. There was the wicked Evo, a Boxster and a Nissan 350 ZX (latter two came on track although they were not pushed hard but they were very capable machines)

All in all a great time - Farhan, Sawant, JD, Karan Chandhok and a whole load of others did their best to ensure we had a great time and did the right thing

Next session will be later in the year lest we want to be baked and wrapped in molten tar. We will be there!

That's my side of the story, the boys in blue will have "quite a few words" about what happened, Jaggu has an awesome video of riding with Ayub who is pushing the Esteem hard) and the old man has some great pics (no, he did not stop us mid race to clean the car and take a pic - but his driver was harassing him from Bangalore about the Optra's cleaniness levels)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th February 2006 at 22:46.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 21:55   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, that tire looks totally chewed up. Never seen anything like it. The thread has separated from the carcass. Looks like a defective tire to me.

Alas, the city does have lots of body roll. I'd be interested to hear from someone who drove it back to back with a Baleno.

In Pic#2 you seem to be cranking the wheel really hard, was it a really tight turn or is it just fighting the understeer that you are giving lots of correction (same direction)

Last edited by Mpower : 5th February 2006 at 22:06.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 22:52   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Looks like a defective tire to me.
Sorry Mpower...tyres were absolutely fine..no defect...ran in my car for 2700km..

Let's get the picture clear...it's due to hard pushing...and the track direction is clock wise.. This tyre was front left..
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 23:38   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rudra, that was my first impression. I guess you are right becoz there is mention of another City having the same issue. Any idea what tires it was running?

Never knew the OHC has a habit of chewing up its front tires so bad....and people keep cribbing about the rear.

But, having said that, keep in mind that you will never see such high
G-forces on the road....so that tire may very well run for 30k without probs.

PS: You look good in the FISSME. Tell us about your lapping session.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th February 2006 at 23:40.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 00:08   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: You look good in the FISSME. Tell us about your lapping session.
That's not me but Ajmat.. I was floating all around with my camera...pics will come up as soon as I process the lot.
Old 6th February 2006, 00:40   #84
Team-BHP Support

to add something, the track tyre the pros use "ACT DICEY" after 15 laps, so a car that ran some 350 odd km from bangalore to chennai and then the tarcks... with some 30 mts break.. god help the tyres ...
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 00:57   #85
Team-BHP Support

Ok before anything else.. thanks again chennai guys.. Farhaan and team... u guys rocked and how can i forget Nitrous

Ayub.. THANK YOU!! and great respects..

and i will be back and trust me am good at surprising others
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 04:39   #86
Team-BHP Support

Post track req

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat

ajmat, looks like you guys had a wonderful time on the track.
a question - what is the red tape on the headlights for? what purpose does it serve? just my curiosity..

ad
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 07:08   #87
Team-BHP Support

Tapes are to block unwanted glass/plastic break. Not a full proof solution but strict instruction from the organiser.
Old 6th February 2006, 09:03   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In Pic#2 you seem to be cranking the wheel really hard, was it a really tight turn or is it just fighting the understeer that you are giving lots of correction (same direction)
It was both and I was putting too much power - catch 22 situ, if I lifted off, the tail would break awayso i was doing a bit of fwd drifting instead, at a cost.

i forgot to add, I was powering too much into corners (Ayub's feedback) and expecting too much from my car. I was trying to to keep up with the E-Zen. There was a modded Accent Viva, that guy kept spinning off the track. Never ran after the third session

Last edited by ajmat : 6th February 2006 at 09:09.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 10:10   #89
BHPian

This is my first participation in a sort of team bhp meet and it was a great feeling to be a part of this community. I was present there at the track on both the days. I got introduced to everyone by nitrous. After that each one were pursuing their own passion. Likes of mclaren, v1p3r,psycho, ajmat and others were busy doing their timed sessions, fissme, changing tyres, et al… and after I got introduced to rudra sir, right from that moment I was behind him like the pug “wherever he went, I followed him” to learn the art of photography… asking him some frivolous questions, getting some technical advice, thank you sir.
It was a great weekend and i am looking forward to more such meets.

Here are a few snaps, rest to follow.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21156.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21157.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21158.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21159.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21160.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21161.jpg

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 6th February 2006 at 10:13.
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 10:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tapes are to block unwanted glass/plastic break. Not a full proof solution but strict instruction from the organiser.
Rudra is right.
Even if the headlamps or tail-lamps break , the pieces should not fall on the track surface proving dangerous to the any car's tyres. Thats why.

Tifosi, the R1 and Busa pics are awesome.My friends who rode them loved it.Keep it going,bro.

Last edited by nitrous : 6th February 2006 at 10:31.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote