Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 23rd February 2011, 12:19   #16
AVR
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Motors Enters Motorsports With “Tata Motors Full Throttle”!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This will be interesting to watch . Tata safari's running the desert storm. A request to participants and spectators, do note if the front hubs survive with 4WD running over 60kmph over an extended time period!
I had the same query and got talking to a Tata team guy who was driving the Red Xenon. As per him, they have driven the Xenon at speeds up to 120 Kmph in 4H and also that there are certain changes that have been made to the 4wd system to account for high speeds by the company itself. Not sure if I agree because any 4wd without a central diff would have damages for sure in case its driven above 60! But then he came 2nd or 3rd in the Raid so probably he knows it works fine.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Coming to Desert Storm, I would think the Xenon would be a much better fit than the Safri primarily due to the high CoG. Lets see how they perform!
2 Safaris and 2 Xenons participating. God I love the Xenon! I was there at the Desert Storm flag-off and nothing beats the Xenon when it comes to street presence! Attached are some pics.

Cheers,
Adi

Tata Motors Enters Motorsports With “Tata Motors Full Throttle”!-21022011323.jpg

Tata Motors Enters Motorsports With “Tata Motors Full Throttle”!-22022011326.jpg

Tata Motors Enters Motorsports With “Tata Motors Full Throttle”!-22022011327.jpg
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I had the same query and got talking to a Tata team guy who was driving the Red Xenon. As per him, they have driven the Xenon at speeds up to 120 Kmph in 4H and also that there are certain changes that have been made to the 4wd system to account for high speeds by the company itself. Not sure if I agree because any 4wd without a central diff would have damages for sure in case its driven above 60! But then he came 2nd or 3rd in the Raid so probably he knows it works fine.
Not necessarily, we drive the rally gypsy in 4H at speeds in excess of 100Kmph even on tarmac with no problems.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

the problem is not with the 4WD system damage, its those auto locking hubs which are the delicate bit. They have some kind of pin inside which can get bent easily.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:38   #19
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Not necessarily, we drive the rally gypsy in 4H at speeds in excess of 100Kmph even on tarmac with no problems.
Then why do companies advise owners to not drive at speeds higher than 60 or 80 kmph? Probable reason could be that its possible for shorter durations like in a rally but non-rally customers aka regular customers might focus more on reliability over a longer ownership period? There doesn't seem to be a technical explanation without the presence of a central diff otherwise.

Edit: Just saw Tsk's post. In the absence of a central diff there will be damage to the 4wd system also especially if driven on tarmac at high speeds. IIRC they call it transmission wrap or something. Might be wrong about the term but quite sure about its possibility. No idea about the locking hubs being the weak point. Wouldn't 1-L exert more strain on the hubs than high speed 4-H?

Last edited by AVR : 23rd February 2011 at 12:41.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Nothing to do with a center diff here. On a dirt track you will get slip to prevent drive train wind up. It does not matter you do 120 or 20.
As I mentioned earlier, the auto locking hubs are the problematic bit, they are expensive, and can damage easy.
Infact to protect them, I rearely use 4H shift on the fly. I always stop and shift. It increases the life of the hubs by a big percentage.

Gypsy hubs are always locked. So no difference in 4WD and 2WD from hub point of view.
As for the drivetrain, if you drive on a bumpy highway at high speed at 120, the light weight and bouncy nature of the gypsy ensures enough "slip" opportunity.
However, a modern part time 4WD SUV on tarmac will put a lot more stress.
Remember gypsy weighs 1100kgs with two people and Safari weighs 2400kgs with two people. Do the math.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd February 2011 at 12:41.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:45   #21
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing to do with a center diff here. On a dirt track you will get slip to prevent drive train wind up. It does not matter you do 120 or 20.
As I mentioned earlier, the auto locking hubs are the problematic bit, they are expensive, and can damage easy.
Infact to protect them, I rearely use 4H shift on the fly. I always stop and shift. It increases the life of the hubs by a big percentage.

Gypsy hubs are always locked. So no difference in 4WD and 2WD from hub point of view.
As for the drivetrain, if you drive on a bumpy highway at high speed at 120, the light weight and bouncy nature of the gypsy ensures enough "slip" opportunity.
Remember gypsy weighs 1100kgs with two people and Safari weighs 2400kgs with two people. Do the math.
Get your point on driving fast on dirt tracks, its the tarmac part that is the issue. My point about the central diff was when driving on tarmac it helps prevent transmission wind up (thanks for the correct term).

If I am correct, Desert Storm does not have tarmac stages so might not be so much of an issue.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly, the suspension setup on a gypsy is so hard (harder in a rally gypsy) that even on a smooth highway the car keeps bouncing on even the smallest undulations. It is like sitting in a bouncy castle. This creates enough slip to cause any serious damage to the drive train.
The rock hard suspension is sturdy, but very poor when it comes to road holding capabilities. This is one of the reason why gypsies jump higher over humps in comparison to cedias, balenos and esteems.
Besides these gypsies are serviced quite often to prevent major damage.

But in the case of Safari and Xenon, each of them weigh more than 2 tons and the suspension setup is on the softer side which helps in road holding even on dirt and gravel roads. Driving a 2 ton monsters at 4H at excessive speeds will damage the drive train and the hubs. Hence they need to be strengthened to handle the speeds.

Last edited by speedmiester : 23rd February 2011 at 13:00.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 16:53   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Information Received from Tata

- Tata Motors Full Throttle team swept the Desert Storm 2011 Rally, winning the top three positions in the Ndure A category and the 1st and 3rd positions in Ndure overall.

- The Tata Motors team participated with two Safari and two Xenon XT vehicles, all in Ndure A category. The Safari stood first in Ndure A as well as overall, while the Xenon XT was the first runner up in Ndure A and third overall. The second Xenon XT bagged the third place in Ndure A and finished 4th overall.

- The victory is special for Tata Motors since this was the first time that the company officially fielded a team in the Desert Storm rally.

- The Safari, which bagged the first place in Ndure A as well as overall, was driven by Sanjay Takle and his navigator team mate Rahul Sancheti. Rajsingh Rathod with navigator Chandrashekar M were behind the wheels of the Xenon XT which was first runner up in Ndure A and third overall. The second Xenon XT, which stood third in Ndure A and fourth overall was driven by Amol Satoskar with Navigator Chidanand Murthy.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 17:08   #24
BHPian

WOW! Is this to train the Indicab racers?
Now all the self-taught call center cab drivers can get FORMAL training.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- The Safari, which bagged the first place in Ndure A as well as overall, was driven by Sanjay Takle and his navigator team mate Rahul Sancheti.
Quite surprising as this duo had won the suv Class in Raid De Himalaya 2010 in a Mahindra Scorpio Rahul Sancheti | Autoplugged.com

Not sure how you can switch teams so fast!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 18:53   #26
BHPian

Quite funny how TML and M and M, official teams of both having won positions in Desert Storm and Raid respectively, always forget to call the event by its official name "Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalayas" and "Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm" in their press releases.

Last edited by manolin : 8th March 2011 at 18:54.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 03:39   #27
BHPian

I found this awesome video of Full throttle. Really loved it
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 22:38   #28
BHPian

"Konkan Experience" is scheduled on 28th Sept on Mumbai-Goa-Mangalore-Coorg route:

http://www.tatamotorsfullthrottle.com/konkan_experience
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 12:16   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
"Konkan Experience" is scheduled on 28th Sept on Mumbai-Goa-Mangalore-Coorg route:

http://www.tatamotorsfullthrottle.com/konkan_experience
Yep am participating / going along with full family are you also going to participate?

For those interested:

They still can take 3-4 more cars - 8 participants - for their max 30 participants capacity.

Cost is Rs. 25,000 per person (participant), Driver is another Rs. 10,000.

Not 100% sure but they will be giving something like Rs. 7500 per car from TATA Motors side in addition.

And will be having a service vehicle/ crew going along.

Matches my kiddos leaves and since inlaws have not been down that route am taking them along.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote