Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 24th January 2006, 15:09   #46
BHPian

[quote=1Day]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2275

yeah i know what you mean..you need to give the indians time... Let me get back..haha!

I agree singapore has a ton of super exotics roaming around, but their road system, support system was far better plus the money is purely business..in india..its all black my friend..I can show you into the world of some of those people who are sitting on half a billion USDs in india and cant use them..tough luck for them..anyhow..

I am in the process of turning into your occupation but let me get that occupation a little straight..I thought you brought in a Ferrari into India in 1993 and you were 18, how the hell did you become a self made million back then..couldnt just have been the cellphone business cuz back in 1993, the cellphone business had just started..

anyhow I am driving a G35 and a Vette..Hard luck when you are into Engineering side..but doing decent..
Hello mate
The mobile phone market had began in 1986 if you must know in UK and Germany and of course Hongkong when rest of the world was still getting used to the idea of having a phone. I started in 1991 and was only buying 100 phones or so at a time and taking them to HK and selling them for 4 times thier price and repeating the process again and again. And then i got into other things as importing comodities from china back to the UK.

G35 and a vette nice cars. I had a vette a while back, must say love the head up display on it.And the power to weight ratio is awesome but the only thing i did not like about it was the interior felt too plastic and it didnt have the same feel as the europeans cars have.

Ciao
BAD 130Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 15:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Question: how do you guys get hold of the Enzo? Wasn't it sold by invitation only? And was it actually "sold" or was it just leased like the F50?
Yes when Enzo was first launched it was by invite only but then a couple of years now down the line you can buy brand new ones with delivery miles from either collectors or Ferrari specailist dealers. Not main agents ie Ferrari UK cos they are not allowed to sell them. Pal it all boils down to if you really want one and have the dosh you can get one.
Check out
www.joemacari.com
www.romansinternational.com

Be prepared to be amazed!!!!!!
Old 24th January 2006, 15:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BAD 130Y]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day

Hello mate
The mobile phone market had began in 1986 if you must know in UK and Germany and of course Hongkong when rest of the world was still getting used to the idea of having a phone. I started in 1991 and was only buying 100 phones or so at a time and taking them to HK and selling them for 4 times thier price and repeating the process again and again. And then i got into other things as importing comodities from china back to the UK.
Wow, a REAL entrepreneur and I must say you started real young - 16 years old and ferrying cell phones to & fro. Good show and may you make a few billions more.......

I'm a dud as far as the UK is concerned, why car parking slots in what look like underground garages in shopping malls? I mean I'm sure you stay in a swank upmarket neighbourhood, is parking space at such a premium there? Sorry to be such an ignoramus........

Last edited by suman : 24th January 2006 at 15:56.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 16:14   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice, and respect to the entrepreneur in you.

My Moms real brother started something on similar lines. At the time of his death in 1992, he owned a Porsche 911 and a W126.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 16:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD 130Y
Yes when Enzo was first launched it was by invite only but then a couple of years now down the line you can buy brand new ones with delivery miles from either collectors or Ferrari specailist dealers. Not main agents ie Ferrari UK cos they are not allowed to sell them. Pal it all boils down to if you really want one and have the dosh you can get one.
Check out
www.joemacari.com
www.romansinternational.com

Be prepared to be amazed!!!!!!
Amazing site. I'm impressed to see the two Enzos, the DTM, and the Carrera GT they have on sale.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 16:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No im not in import -export business. Im in the cellular phones business. I refurbish second hand phones in china which i buy from uk and europe and then sell it to Brazil telecom.

Hmmm is this how those pay-as-you-go boxes get split and the phones land up in Dubai/Singapore for unlocking and further shipment to developing markets?

Just asking....you dont need to answer. Amongst the other things we do, we help operators track down split boxes....small world, this.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th January 2006 at 17:08.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 20:49   #52
BHPian

[quote=suman]
Quote:

I'm a dud as far as the UK is concerned, why car parking slots in what look like underground garages in shopping malls? I mean I'm sure you stay in a swank upmarket neighbourhood, is parking space at such a premium there? Sorry to be such an ignoramus........
Yeah Suffice to say but in central london parking is a big problem. I live in central london and we have a carpark for the residents living and for public who come to shop in a supermarket above. On average each car park space to buy in central london is about 70k. I have a season tickets for year to park my car downstairs.And the security looks after them in the carpark. I really cant leave them out in the street cos its safer in carpark and easily accessible from the flat And of course we have a good facilty to get them washed and cleaned up.
Old 24th January 2006, 20:53   #53
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Hmmm is this how those pay-as-you-go boxes get split and the phones land up in Dubai/Singapore for unlocking and further shipment to developing markets?

Just asking....you dont need to answer. Amongst the other things we do, we help operators track down split boxes....small world, this.

You help operatotors help track down split boxes?? What do u mean. Nahhh i buy returns from people like carphone warehouse and networks themselves. These are usuallly second hand units or 14 days stock which then i reprocess.
But i do unlock phones for other traders who then export them to Dxb, africa, central asia
Old 24th January 2006, 21:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

One Q budd..you said you started this in 1986, dont get me wrong but didnt GSM start in 1992, I know so cuz I am in the telecomm engineering field, the first operator was in finland.

We make telecomm systems just like the Nokias, Motorolas of the world..

Anyhow until UK also had analog phones like US, how could it be that the business sprung up in 1986? Just curious, not doubting you..

and also India was not very behind in the digital cellular market, they were only 1.5-2 years behind europe where it was invented and US was no where in the picture..I know so cuz the first cellular network in India was put together and managed by my dad.

Last edited by 1Day : 24th January 2006 at 21:46.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 13:23   #55
BHPian

[quote=BAD 130Y]
Quote:

Hello mate

G35 and a vette nice cars. I had a vette a while back, must say love the head up display on it.And the power to weight ratio is awesome but the only thing i did not like about it was the interior felt too plastic and it didnt have the same feel as the europeans cars have.

Ciao
I must say you got on to a very good thing then. Its always the enterprising ppl who get on to a idea the first, they are the ones who make money. I have this quote which i really enjoy and i must say is apt for you : Vision is the art of seeing things invisible"
Keep it up mate
cheers!
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 13:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You help operatotors help track down split boxes?? What do u mean.
You're in the mobilephone business and dont know what box-splitting is? Dont feign ignorance.
Old 25th January 2006, 15:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
One Q budd..you said you started this in 1986, dont get me wrong but didnt GSM start in 1992, I know so cuz I am in the telecomm engineering field, the first operator was in finland.

We make telecomm systems just like the Nokias, Motorolas of the world..

Anyhow until UK also had analog phones like US, how could it be that the business sprung up in 1986? Just curious, not doubting you..

and also India was not very behind in the digital cellular market, they were only 1.5-2 years behind europe where it was invented and US was no where in the picture..I know so cuz the first cellular network in India was put together and managed by my dad.
Hi
Before GSM we had analogue phones, hence you would not have not of phones such as motrola micro tac, erisscon S7. India took on the GSM technology. Europe was already on analogue system since 1984 when it was first introduced by vodaphone and it started flitering down to the masses by 1986-87.
I know US is still way behind. Thats why the South America is still a virgin territory and nows the time to get in there. In mobile communications no other country can beat Germany and Uk and then the rest follow. Of course We make most of the phones in Europe
Motorola - Scotland
Sony Errisccon - Swindon and Spain
Siemens - Belgium
Nokia - Finland
The only phone thats made in Far east is the SAMSUNG
Old 25th January 2006, 15:59   #58
BHPian

I remember the first time i saw a mobile phone was in the us in 1990 (one of my uncles owned it), it was a motorola handset that looked like a chunky brick and had a huge antenna sticking out of it. At that time even in the U.S. people would turn around and look at us when we were roaming around in new york city. Ok i edited my message as i found a picture of it or something very near to it.....

Last edited by Beeman : 25th January 2006 at 16:03.
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 16:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In mobile communications no other country can beat Germany and Uk and then the rest follow. Of course We make most of the phones in Europe
Motorola - Scotland
Sony Errisccon - Swindon and Spain
Siemens - Belgium
Nokia - Finland
The only phone thats made in Far east is the SAMSUNG
A few issues with that post....

1. Motorola Phones are also made in China. And Motorola's MicroTac was ALSO their first GSM brand, before they went into the 'd' series.

2. Sony Ericsson is now made by Sony, in Japan, China and some Eastern European countries. Dont know if they still produce in the EU.

3. Siemens no longer own their phone business...its been sold to Bird or some other Chinese company.

4. No other country can beat Germany and the UK? The largest GSM Market is China. The single largest mobile operator is NTT DoCoMo of Japan. Wake up and smell the coffee....our own market will soon be bigger than the primary EU markets.

5. The only phone thats made in Far east is the SAMSUNG - What about NEC, which is 3 UK's primary supplier of 3G phones? There are lot more manufacturers in the far east, WITHOUT counting the Chinese (Bird, Dopod, PanTech, Haier and a lot of others). Kyocera makes a lot of 3G phones thanks to their CDMA exposure, LG has made it big now. As for PDA Phones, the Far East rules, with HTC of Taiwan probably accounting for 99% of the Windows Based PDAs.

6. GSM Radio Tranmission Techniques and Encrption was decided upon only in 1986 and Phase 1 GSM (900) Standards were frozen only in 1990. I guess you made your money selling AMPs phones - I'm surprised there was so much money in it with so few users....especially when the phones were network locked and getting UK/German phones down to HK would have meant playing around with their innards. Its not like you could change a SIM card.

7. I know US is still way behind. Nope...they just went down a different track because GSM was basically a European standard. As of now the Europeans have to buy CDMA technology from the Americans, because 3G is basically WCDMA over GSM - GSM cannot support data speeds like CDMA can, and CDMA is a much more efficient way of handling signals. Less investment > more coverage. So you cant say the US was behind - they were simply in their own world and in the end did things more efficiently.

8. Africa is the fastest growing GSM market, not South America. South AMerica is still a mish-mash of Analog, GSM and CDMA operators.
Old 25th January 2006, 17:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

PS: We're going SERIOUSLY off-topic here, though.