Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 17:14   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default BMW's first front wheel drive car

BMW is testing their first front wheel drive car, it will be positioned below BMW 1 series.

Below images/link are copied from Deutsche yahoo page.

Erstmals fotografiert: BMW mit Frontantrieb - Yahoo! Autos









pawan_pullarwar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 17:35   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

>>>

This is worse than sacrilege Sir.

First, the bowing out of hydraulic steering.
Second, the downsizing of engines, with morbid thoughts of the passing away of the legendary in line sixes from Bimmer's stable.

And now this.

What is the world coming to? Should we expect a downgraded M3 next?

I suspect a foreign hand - the hand of the two fastest growing (but not necessarily petrolhead) economies in this.

BMW, et tu brute?

The world will be a lot more mundane, more dull and a lesser place, if all these three things happen.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 18:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Eh? Below the 1 Series?

I echo issigonis' sentiments here. BMWs with FWD, 3-cylinder engines, and over-assisted steering? Soon, the world will be full of the BMW 0.5 16d, and it will become their best seller. Tragic.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 18:12   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

That is the future i-series from BMW. The 'i' series denotes all upcoming hybrid, electric and alternative fuel vehicles from the BMW stable.

http://www.bmw-i-usa.com/en_us/concept/

Last edited by MaserQ : 10th June 2011 at 18:14.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 20:29   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,703
Thanked: 89,145 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
FWD, 3-cylinder engines, and over-assisted steering
Sounds more like a WagonR or an Alto to me. I hope BMW leaves whatever they've been smoking soon; a brand with that kind of positioning does not need to be everything to everyone (leave it to Toyota). Such experiments will terribly dilute the marque value.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 21:01   #6
BHPian
 
rxpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 338
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Dear BMW,
I am shocked ! Please, please don't do this. As GTO said, please leave FWD to the Japs. Don't get into this. What would you really gain out of this.This is suicidal. I hope and pray your fwd concept never sells.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 21:20   #7
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

BMW is working on a FWD. So now the Mercs front wheel architecture has some competition then. But the car looks to be a modified BMW 1.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 16:45   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Dear BMW,
I am shocked ! Please, please don't do this. As GTO said, please leave FWD to the Japs. Don't get into this. What would you really gain out of this.This is suicidal. I hope and pray your fwd concept never sells.
Ahem, they may have popularised it, but don't put the FWD badge on Japs, put them on the Euros,they made it.
Coming to the matter, i lost all faith when Merc said that an all-new FWD platform was made to replace the failed sandwich one.
And at the back of that came the BMW news of a FWD platform. All those days i was cursing the Recession and all for taking away still-born RWD platforms but didn't even in my wildest dreams think that BMW would do a FWD.
Then came the news that the new 5-er had gone E class with diluted character while the latter was trying to become the former.
Then the 3 pot engines. But consoled that it was only in the FWD family.
Then the biggest blasphemy of all, after the FWD introduction, came that the evergreen M3 was going to have an V6 heart.
All this when Toyota is going to revive the AE-86 legacy and FWD only Hyundai tasting success with the Genesis family and rival Audi going to launch a RWD coupe(though it's mid engined)
Sorry for the long post, couldn't control. (sob)
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 19:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,690
Thanked: 3,858 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Albeit a sad case, this looks like the future.

In the next few years, we may see those legendary in-line 6 engines a fond memory, M3 / M5 with 4 cylinder engines, and regular BMWs running on 3-pot motors – and many of that could be a FWD.

I am not getting why BMW is departing from its essential DNA. And they may change the tagline to “Joy is a compromise”
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:30   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Today I had a talk with my German colleague who has very good knowledge on auto mobiles, and he says that BMW is going to use Prince engine (Prince is the code name of the engine which are jointly developed by BMW and PSA Peugeot Citron). These engines are completely developed by Peugeot Citron in their France facility.

So he says he would prefer buying Peugeot car because for the same price he will get more features, may be more powerful engine.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,690
Thanked: 3,858 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Today I had a talk with my German colleague who has very good knowledge on auto mobiles, and he says that BMW is going to use Prince engine (Prince is the code name of the engine which are jointly developed by BMW and PSA Peugeot Citron). These engines are completely developed by Peugeot Citron in their France facility.

So he says he would prefer buying Peugeot car because for the same price he will get more features, may be more powerful engine.
Quite possible. This is the engine which powers a host of cars like the Mini, Citroen C4, Peugeot 3008 etc. In future I can foresee BMW doing a VW group same cars sold in different brand names.

And I agree with your friend. If BMW goes by that path, buying a Peugeot makes much more sense.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:07   #12
BHPian
 
lucifer1881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 290
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Somehow FWD layout makes me feel shortchanged, cheated even. When the Premier Padmini could come in a RWD layout at an affordable price, I do not understand why a Fiesta or a Manza should come in the FWD layout. I can still live with cars priced below 10 lacs coming with the FWD layout but I think it is unpardonable if cars priced north of 10 lacs do not have RWD.

If they price this FWD Beamer below 10 lacs then I suppose it is okay for it to have a FWD layout. Otherwise, it is pure sacrilege.

PS: FWD generation, you have absolutely no idea what you are missing. Get hold of a Padmini in good condition and you will know what I mean.
lucifer1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:53   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Somehow FWD layout makes me feel shortchanged, cheated even. When the Premier Padmini could come in a RWD layout at an affordable price, I do not understand why a Fiesta or a Manza should come in the FWD layout. I can still live with cars priced below 10 lacs coming with the FWD layout but I think it is unpardonable if cars priced north of 10 lacs do not have RWD.

If they price this FWD Beamer below 10 lacs then I suppose it is okay for it to have a FWD layout. Otherwise, it is pure sacrilege.

PS: FWD generation, you have absolutely no idea what you are missing. Get hold of a Padmini in good condition and you will know what I mean.
but absolutely
Other than the long term maintenance cost and driving comfort, this is one factor that makes me hate FWD, some what like the company is making use of us. me stupid!!! Especially the VWs and Audis. Come on these are premium cars and whats the use of a longitudinal engine with FWD???
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
I am shocked ! Please, please don't do this. As GTO said, please leave FWD to the Japs. Don't get into this. What would you really gain out of this.This is suicidal. I hope and pray your fwd concept never sells.
What would be suicidal for BMW and other auto companies is if they fail to invest in vehicles that run on anything but combustion engines. FWD or not, it had to happen sometime.

Its not as if the 5 & 7-series and the M badge are all going FWD. The i-series is positioned below the 1-series and hence a FWD configuration is better suited for interior space utilization in smaller cars. One possible benefit would be that future i-series beemers might have a bit more (leg)room in the rear with compact transmission tunnels, minus the drive shafts.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 23:39   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: BMW's first front wheel drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
That is the future i-series from BMW. The 'i' series denotes all upcoming hybrid, electric and alternative fuel vehicles from the BMW stable.

BMW i Concept - BMW i. Born Electric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
What would be suicidal for BMW and other auto companies is if they fail to invest in vehicles that run on anything but combustion engines. FWD or not, it had to happen sometime.

Its not as if the 5 & 7-series and the M badge are all going FWD. The i-series is positioned below the 1-series and hence a FWD configuration is better suited for interior space utilization in smaller cars. One possible benefit would be that future i-series beemers might have a bit more (leg)room in the rear with compact transmission tunnels, minus the drive shafts.
i-series is totally different than what we are discussing in this thread. The i-series has electric motor.

This front wheel drive will have 3 or 4 pot diesel/petrol engine from Peugeot-Citron.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Wheel Drive v/s Rear Wheel Drive Revvhead Technical Stuff 269 3rd August 2017 15:48
How do front wheel drives and Rear wheel drives behave in a skid adrian Technical Stuff 10 29th June 2011 17:51
Front wheel drive Vs Rear wheel drive ivar1951 The Indian Car Scene 2 17th March 2010 15:08
Rear wheel drive or Front wheel drive : What is your choice ? adrian Technical Stuff 1 25th January 2010 16:26
All wheel steering vs front wheel steering SamtheLeo Technical Stuff 17 28th July 2009 20:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks