Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th June 2011, 00:17   #16
BHPian

Default Re: US buyers too fat for small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
The things you have written are largely true (though some things are debatable) - what is also true is that they have resulted out of active lobbying efforts from the automakers themselves.

Interstate Highway system for example resulted from lobbying efforts from the car makers and is an indirect subsidy to the automobile industry.

Till mid 90s the political mood was (good for GM = good for america). Unlike every other developed nation US does have a comprehensive interstate highway system at federal level but no masterplan for in-city public transportation partly because of lobbying efforts of the automobile industry.

It is a managed-market

(some points where I disagree): highway speeds are very high in Europe as well (AFAIK there are no "no speed limit limit" highways in US - there are in Europe) - small cars do quite all right on those highways. And while Europican city-centers are old there is nothing old about the cities in general - most look just like suburban america (think New Delhi in general vs. Chandni Chowk)

Anyway, the subject of the thread is total non sense and a bit racist - I agree with you in that.
Well with reference to political compulsions, since the history of the automobile & auto cos there was not as much development of public transportation like you see in NYC or LA or similar sized cities. Having lived extensive in both Europe & USA (as well as travelled by road extensively on both continents) I can say for sure Europe is far more well connected by public & intra city transportation than cities/towns in the USA.

In a nutshell, it is convenient for the US government to provide subsidies (though i doubt it) to oil companies for petrol sales (though it does define foreign policy for the USA) It is due to a lack of public transportation infrastructure in cities. This will answer the question of non speed limit roads in Europe - the government maintains and patrols the highways effectively, while the size of the USA is not condusive to such.

Small cars (read as efficient american cars) made an appearance during the 70s oil crisis and subsequently the American public's affinity to fuel efficient cars. Again there are parts of the USA where tradition & economy demands a pick up truck as against a sedan or hatchback.

P.S. the topic is not racist as no race is being condemned or a bias being conveyed. The headline is offensive.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 00:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

P.S. the topic is not racist as no race is being condemned or a bias being conveyed. The headline is offensive.
I agree fully with everything you have written.

On the "racist" part - well what is "race"? We run immediately to the racist word whenever something (seen as reasonable by the perpetrators) happens to any Indians abroad - so why not call the tagline what it is in our context - racist. Of course an american criticizing fellow americans on these lines will not be racist.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 02:45   #18
BHPian

Gas prices were less than $2 a gallon until 2005. why would any one want to drive a small car? I agree with the saying "you gotta go big or go home"
raveen_2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 02:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

The SUV was an unlikely sight till early 90s, and today non-SUV passenger vehicle is an unlikely sight (unless it is a battered old student-vehicle).

I disagree here. Over the last 2 years, the sell of sedans and fuel efficient cars have gone up here in USA. Pickup trucks still dominate the sales chart (Position 1 and Position 2) but their share is declining for sure. Only Ford F Series pickup truck and Chevrolet Silverado (Again Pickup not SUV) are among the top 10 selling vehicle of USA, rest all are sedans. There is no way Non SUV vehicle sight will be battered old student vehicle.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 02:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I disagree here. Over the last 2 years, the sell of sedans and fuel efficient cars have gone up here in USA. Pickup trucks still dominate the sales chart (Position 1 and Position 2) but their share is declining for sure. Only Ford F Series pickup truck and Chevrolet Silverado (Again Pickup not SUV) are among the top 10 selling vehicle of USA, rest all are sedans. There is no way Non SUV vehicle sight will be battered old student vehicle.
I was comparing the situation today with early 90s. I agree that the sedans have been selling more lately since the financial bubble burst, GM went bankrupt and fuel prices went through the roof, but in early 90s, SUVs didn't top the charts.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote