Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 20th July 2011, 21:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C after widespread criticism from the Media

After almost all the leading Auto-Journos (including Jezza, Tiff, JP) who laid their hands on the MP4-12C didn't find it all the awe-inspiring as the Italian counterpart, the 458 Italia but more of a "geek mobile", McLaren had went back and did some modifications on the car trying to rectify the faults. Now to see how it fairs after the tweaks. Now I would love to see someone pit it against the 458 and LP560
Quote:
McLaren will be making some modifications to the MP4-12C in response to critiques in the automotive press that the car's 'fun factor' doesn't match its specs.
According to an Autocar report, the main changes will be to make the throttle response more exciting and give a "fruitier" sound to the exhaust. The changes will only apply, though, to the car's Track mode settings.
A McLaren spokesman soft-pedaled the news to Autocar, saying that the changes had already been planned and that McLaren has just sped up the process.
"We want drivers to enjoy the car a bit more. The changes don't lead to any performance increase, but they do lead to an emotional increase when you drive the car."
Emotion is a key factor. The McLaren does well in terms of performance numbers and track times but many reviewers, including Autocar, believe the car lacks the emotional intensity of competitors such as the Ferrari 458 Italia.
Source: Worldcarfans
Attached Thumbnails
McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C after widespread criticism from the Media-14954946711347407866.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C after widespread criticism from the Media

The 458 Italia is sublime. Much to McLaren's angst, even if the MP4-12C is made technically superior to the Ferrari, it still would be rated behind the 458 Italia - for lack of emotion.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 22:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
The 458 Italia is sublime. Much to McLaren's angst, even if the MP4-12C is made technically superior to the Ferrari, it still would be rated behind the 458 Italia - for lack of emotion.
Absolutely my thoughts.
The team at McLaren have done it right but they have just enhanced the thought of a super car. They did not think out of the box even design wise it looks as an evolved model of 360 Modena (no offense meant). Some cars become instant hits (911) some take time (R8) and some gradually grow(McLaren).

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 22:19   #4
BANNED

Default Re: McLaren tweaks the MP4-12C after widespread criticism from the Media

The car has already proved itself to be blisteringly fast around the TG test track. However, I can bet my right arm that it was running a special level of tune specific to that track layout.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 09:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have read the tests from CAR, Evo, in most cases the MP4 12C is better engineered and faster but its problem is that it is too perfect so the emotion is taken out.

Can be fixed but to change initial image will take time
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:14   #6
BANNED

Aesthetically I don't find this car appealing at all but technically I don't quite understand this argument. Please help me out here. : )
What exactly do you mean by emotion ? Perhaps these reviewers having reviewed these insane crazy tail happy supercars for all these years are being overly critical of the car due to its refinement that they are calling sublime ? Isn't driving perfection in a car the desired end goal ? I've never had the pleasure of driving a supercar but after having watched the TG review on this I'd like to think that I would much like a car that drives like this one does Vs. say the 458. Maybe that's just me..
puneet_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think McL and ferrari/lamborghini have only one plain in common, of performance.
The Appeal front of it, and the aesthetics, they are on completely seperate levels.

Ive met only a handfull of people so far who have in their list of cars,an overlap with the Italians, and a McL.

I do find it appealing, purposeful, built for it, the Mclaren.
Emotion too!!
Personally, i place it much above the others in pure sophisticate.

But its the the kind of emotion and appeal that you get from the terminnator as the good guy in T2, against, say, the more orgnanic hero played by will smith in MIB.
Some, like me, prefer the T800...
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote