Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd August 2011, 10:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda Civic Fails Consumer Reports’ Tests

Many TBHP-ians had expressed their reservations about the new Civic, the same seems to be getting echoed here ... please read on ( the full article can be read via the link Honda Civic Fails Consumer Reports )

Honda Motor Co.’s newest version of the Civic, a model that’s been a foundation of the automaker’s U.S. sales for decades, flopped in tests by Consumer Reports, failing to win the magazine’s coveted “Recommended” status.

The 2012 Civic scored 61 in Consumer Report’s evaluation, down from 78 for the previous Civic, according to a review in the September issue published this week. The car, on sale since late April, scored poorly because of a decline in agility and interior quality, choppier ride, longer stopping distances, and more road noise compared with the last Civic, the magazine said.

“While other models like the Hyundai Elantra have gotten better after being redesigned, the Civic has dropped so much that now it ranks near the bottom of its category,” David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports’ auto test center, Connecticut, said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.

Honda models since the 1980s have consistently ranked among the most frequently recommended by the magazine published by Yonkers, New York-based Consumers Union, a non-profit group. Carmakers seek favorable evaluations from the magazine as its reviews are considered the most objective because of policies of accepting no advertising and buying every vehicle it tests.

“We disagree with Consumer Reports’ findings,” Honda said in an e-mailed statement. “In virtually every way, the completely redesigned 2012 Civic is a step forward.”

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2011 at 13:09. Reason: Removing naked FONT tags
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Civic Fails Consumer Reports’ Tests

I am not too surprised. These mags are somewhat biased towards VFM in preference to everything else. Also, their tech angle is weak. I remember UK Which rating Metz Flashguns very poorly. They did not seem to know or bother about the fact that at very short exposures 1/10,000 sec or faster, film suffers from Reciprocity Failure so must be compensated by a higher intensity. These guns were going down to 1/40,000sec.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shocking, and a big blow to Honda. There is no one as respected as Consumer Reports in the States (my favourite publication too), while the States itself is the biggest worldwide market for the Honda Civic (and Accord). It's extremely unusual for a Honda sedan to get a thumbs down from Consumer Reports, but well, I am going to give the benefit of doubt to CR until I test the new Civic myself.

I don't care about their observation of road noise & agility, but the step backward in braking distance, ride quality & interior quality is disappointing. Thousands of purchase decisions are influenced by Consumer reports, more than all the auto mags combined. I expect Honda to make amendments, as other manufacturers frequently have after CR criticism.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am going to give the benefit of doubt to CR until I test the new Civic myself.
I dont know if i'll get to drive the new Civic and old back to back to evaluate- but the new one is a huge disappointment for me- just for its looks!

While the current one still remains one of my all time favourite designs (Cars launched in India) and with very little modification- it can turn a lot of heads years after its launch; the new one looks a generation older and sober. I dont think it will have the aspirational value the present Civic clearly enjoyed!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is also that Consumer Reports is a well respected referred to by consumers in US . Given the target audience of Civic, a negative consumer report can sink a car in the market.
While choppier ride quality maybe tougher to sort out , braking distance and internal quality can be addressed much more swiftly . Given that Honda takes a lot of pride in being recommended by the report , I am sure that they would take steps to address the points raised.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 16:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad news for Honda fans!

"The Consumer Reports used words such as ‘mediocre’ and pointed out problems such as:
• Less agile
• Lower interior quality
• Choppy ride
• Long stopping distances
• Pronounced road noise
However, the Consumer Reports also pointed out some good aspect of the car such as
• Decent rear-seat room
• Second-best fuel economy in its class."

More in 2012 Honda Civic is below expectation says Consumer Reports
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Surprising report for one of the worlds most favorite sedan and definetly a big blow for Honda. Consumer Reports is one of the best in US for unbaised and completely fair report in their findings.

I have been a fan of CR for many years and also have a small collections of their annual publication books and not just for auto's they are admired equally for electronics and home appliances as well.

Coming to the new Civic, the exterior design is the first and foremost disappointing factor as it does not even look C+ segment. It's be designed leaner and with lot of curves and looks almost like the Fluidic Verna whereas consumers in this segment expect the new Civic to be even better designed that the current one.

Except the FE, everything seems to go against it. Hope we dont get the same one but, a one that is after all critisized points are addressed.

Any ETA for new Civic to India?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 14:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

There's a mention in one of the articles on the subject that the VW Jetta is ranked at the bottom in it's class - but Jetta sales have grown despite bad ratings from CR. So, all may not be lost for the Civic on the sales front.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Its now official!
Just hate the new design...I dont think one person will like the new design apart from Civic aspiring potential customers who will want that "H" badge in their garage & dont care a hoot about design.
In other aspects, my views match the sentiments of others on this thread perfectly. The current civic is sooo much better.
Xehaust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta GLI outscores Civic Si in head-to-head comparison!

"Those faults helped the Volkswagen Jetta GLI beat out the Honda Civic SI in a recent head-to-head competition. Evaluators specifically cited the precise steering of the GLI as well as suspension tuning that yields little body lean as benefits, though at 27 miles per gallon, the model averaged 2 mpg less than the Honda. It's worth noting that the Jetta GLI is still to new to have earned a recommended rating."

Consumer Reports recommends Civic Si, but ranks Jetta GLI higher
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honda Says Reworking Civic Is Part of Plan to Lift Sales 24% - Businessweek

In fact they have planned to have a facelift as early as 2013 to mitigate the current issues. However I see from US sales numbers that Honda Civic is the largest selling compact sedan in US for Nov 2011 and stands overall third behind Corolla and Cruze in year 2011.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/comp...011-92073.html

Last edited by vasoo : 22nd December 2011 at 09:08.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:11   #12
BHPian

Reworked Civic to be displayed at 2012 LA Motor show on 29th November 2012.

Quote:
Likely debuting as a 2013 model, the face-lifted Honda Civic is clearly showing influence by the 2013 Accord, which has received a much more positive response than the Civic did last year.
The 2013 Honda Civic prototype has reimagined front styling, with a grille sporting the same U-shaped trim piece we’ve seen on the 2013 Honda Accord. The 2013 Civic integrates a new lower front fascia design and, at least on the higher-trim Civics, we wouldn’t be surprised to see LED daytime running lights.
From behind, a revised taillight design is visible, though the 2013 Civic appears to use the same taillight housing shape as before. The license plate surrounding area has been expanded and the built-in rear spoiler look remains.
Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2013...ng-285789.html and http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
Attached Images

sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote