Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th July 2012, 09:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota FT-86 - Pics and Specs Leaked. EDIT : Now officially revealed!

The more I hear and read about this one, the more I like it. This stuff of legends.

This is great thinking from Toyota & Subaru. Great FUN at affordable price and simple back to basics machinery. Would love to drive it one day.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 01:20   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota FT-86 - Pics and Specs Leaked. EDIT : Now officially revealed!

Launched in the US couple of months back...

Subaru BRZ | The New 2013 BRZ Sports Car

Prices start at an affordable $25k

Doesnt look that good IMHO..but could be awesome to drive

200ish BHP, 6speed manual, RWD cant go much wrong there
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 02:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Its interesting to see that Both Subaru & Toyota (Scion) sell practically the same car under different badges in the same country

Subaru BRZ

Scion FR-S

However the new Genesis Coupe should give a tough competition to both as it has more power with more engine options & is priced at same level.

2013 Genesis Coupe

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2012 at 02:52.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 09:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

I will now officially change my signature to "Waiting for Bravo Romeo Zulu". This car seems to be the daily-drive sports car.

Autocar UK's review:
Toyota GT86 Review | Autocar
KiloAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 10:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

If its brought to india, it would challenge the Hyundai veloster. CKD, Assembled in india and price it at 15-17 lacs and Toyota has a winner.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 21:54   #36
BHPian

Saw it here in The Philippines, priced around 1.6 million pesos , around 18 lacs in our rupees. Looked a bit bland compared to the ones with the TRD spec. Looked clean, not bigger than, say a corolla.
HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 22:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Its interesting to see that Both Subaru & Toyota (Scion) sell practically the same car under different badges in the same country
Yes, its similar to the case of the Vento/Rapid. Here in Singapore, one publication even did a spot the difference article, a couple of months back

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
If its brought to india, it would challenge the Hyundai veloster. CKD, Assembled in india and price it at 15-17 lacs and Toyota has a winner.
Very unlikely. The Veloster is a much cheaper car (and maybe more practical) compared to the 86/BRZ. Just for comparison, AFIAK this is even more expensive than the Camry; probably one of the most expensive car with a Toyota badge.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 23:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
That will be a dream come true, but highly unlikely.
Toyota is a slumbering giant in India and product launches here have a looonnggg gestation period.
So the CKD route for the 86 is a long shot and especially the 15lac price tag.
Maybe Toyota can do the 370Z way like Nissan India did, and price it at a fat premium something like 30-35lacs.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 00:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Yes, its similar to the case of the Vento/Rapid. Here in Singapore, one publication even did a spot the difference article, a couple of months back
Actually the Vento & Rapide have different front rear designs but here the subaru & scion are exactly same the only difference is in interiors
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 01:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Toyota is a slumbering giant in India and product launches here have a looonnggg gestation period.
Maybe Toyota can do the 370Z way like Nissan India did, and price it at a fat premium something like 30-35lacs.
It would certainly give the recently refreshed 4-pot 200+ horsepower Audi TT priced @ 48 lakhs (ex-showroom) a run for its money.

The 370Z is IMO a notch ahead in terms of power and performance. But I see what you mean.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 10:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Actually the Vento & Rapide have different front rear designs but here the subaru & scion are exactly same the only difference is in interiors
Yes, what I mean is both are essentially same cars with minor cosmetic differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The 370Z is IMO a notch ahead in terms of power and performance. But I see what you mean.
True, I donít see the 86 as a competition to the 370Z. The only similarity is in the vehicle type; otherwise both belong to different segments. The 86 target the space of small sports coupe like Peugeot RCZ, Mini Cooper S, or even the Mazda MX-5
Old 29th July 2012, 12:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I think that even at 30-35 this car is worth every penny.
khanak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 14:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I think that even at 30-35 this car is worth every penny.
Yeah. Agree wholeheartedly, but other than some enthusiasts, most of the sports car buying people prefer a European brand for snob. So, the TT sells more than the 370Z in India.
But if at all the 86 comes to India, i will save eac of my paisa to buy one, at least a pre-worshipped one. It's that kind of a dream car for me.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 14:56   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
True, I donít see the 86 as a competition to the 370Z. The only similarity is in the vehicle type; otherwise both belong to different segments. The 86 target the space of small sports coupe like Peugeot RCZ, Mini Cooper S, or even the Mazda MX-5
It won't be long before we get to see such cars in India. Ours is a rapidly growing market and everybody wants a slice of the pie. Sure, sports-cars are not practical and don't make sense given the sorry state of our roads and the low-quality fuel. But things should improve in the next five-ten years.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that there would be hatchbacks priced at 8 lakhs and that they would out-sell sedans and SUVs?

Hyundai also has a sports-car in their portfolio and it would be perfect competition to the 86. It's called the Veloster.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 17:33   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hyundai also has a sports-car in their portfolio and it would be perfect competition to the 86. It's called the Veloster.
Well, Veloster is a sports car, but competition to the likes of 86 Ė not much actually.
Veloster is decent number which is more like a wannabe VW Scirocco/Golf GTI. Itís actually much more practical than the 86/BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Who would have thought 10 years ago that there would be hatchbacks priced at 8 lakhs and that they would out-sell sedans and SUVs?
True, and I actually would like to see Hyundai bring in the Veloster to India; not because I like it, but for the fact that it will open the segment (like how they did with the i20), and cars like Golf GTI, Ford Focus RS may follow