Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th December 2011, 16:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota plans design and styling overhaul

Its Time Toyota also looks into the Handling aspect of their passenger cars.
This is an area that needs to be addressed. Try driving a toyota camry right after driving a accord or a altis after a civic and its so irritating.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Toyota to go the Apple way! To launch cars with bolder, more daring designs!

Quote:
After decades of emphasizing staid reliability, Toyota wants to start running with the cool kids.

In a new approach announced Monday, the company, Japan's biggest automaker, said it was overhauling its development system to give engineers more freedom to experiment with bolder, more daring designs.

"We want to take more risks," Akio Toyoda, the automaker's chief executive and grandson of the company's founder, told reporters Monday at the main design lab at headquarters here in Toyota City, 200 miles southwest of Tokyo.

The company will give more power to its engineers, Toyoda said, and streamline design decisions, partly by reducing the number of executives involved in reviewing new designs. Previously, design changes could be reviewed by as many as 100 executives.
Source

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2012 at 18:22. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 19:13   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota to go the Apple way! To launch cars with bolder, more daring designs!

Want more risks eh? They should drive so of em auto-accelerating Lexus

On a serious note, they should consider some exciting models as well. Here is a company that made the Supra, MR2 etc etc
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 21:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota to go the Apple way! To launch cars with bolder, more daring designs!

The "Fluidic" design from Hyundai made it favorite amongst car buyers eventhough the Quality and Reliability is not on-par with Toyota. i20 Sells more than a Liva/etios (in general).

Maybe toyota wants to encash this. Even on our forum there are many who say (including me) that Toyota make "bland & boring" cars. Maybe An attractive design with the same robustness will make toyota the No 1 manufacturer in all aspects.

The "Chevy SUV Trailblazer", "Cruze", "i20" et all eat into the market share of a toyota just because of the design and features. there are a certain set of people who prefer design over reliability. With a non-bland design, Toyota will woo the Market IMHO.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 08:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading this earlier.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-overhaul.html (Toyota plans design and styling overhaul)

They really do need some change in chasis design; just changing headlight and front grill design ain't gonna help. The Altis should be first in line! Although elegant, it could use some oomph.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 17:37   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The "Fluidic" design from Hyundai made it favorite amongst car buyers eventhough the Quality and Reliability is not on-par with Toyota. i20 Sells more than a Liva/etios (in general).
Quality & reliability? Hyundai is as good as the Japanese in cars this side of 20 lakhs. The i10 = Brio > Etios, and the i20 is in a class by itself, beating even the Jazz in quality & features.

The gap has greatly narrowed down; even the reliability is damn good and won't affect any purchase decisions. Also, remember that Hyundai is part of a handful of manufacturers offering 5 year extended warranties in India. To me, warranty = faith in your own product.

Quote:
The "Chevy SUV Trailblazer", "Cruze", "i20" et all eat into the market share of a toyota just because of the design and features.
Agreed. The Cruze & i20 definitely draw customers based on looks & features. Still, the Altis is the segment-topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
On a serious note, they should consider some exciting models as well. Here is a company that made the Supra, MR2 etc etc
More importantly, affordable, exciting cars. The MR2 was a blast to drive for not-so-much-money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thank you Libran. Merged.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quality & reliability? Hyundai is as good as the Japanese in cars this side of 20 lakhs. The i10 = Brio > Etios, and the i20 is in a class by itself, beating even the Jazz in quality & features.

The gap has greatly narrowed down; even the reliability is damn good and won't affect any purchase decisions. Also, remember that Hyundai is part of a handful of manufacturers offering 5 year extended warranties in India. To me, warranty = faith in your own product.
Agreed. The Cruze & i20 definitely draw customers based on looks & features. Still, the Altis is the segment-topper
Oh Ok - This was news to me - I could not think in lateral and infer that. I felt that Toyota was more reliable as there are More Toyotas as cabs than Hyundais. Secondly, The servicing cost of Fortuners are so low (Guderian, Mannuj and Nilanjan threads) that honestly i have spent more on my Santro (regualr and General Service). this made me think that Toyotas are more VFM than Hyundais.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 21:20   #23
BHPian

FT-86 is a good example of the new approach. Hope Toyota churns out more fun cars and hope they launch them in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The Toyota 86 is one fantastic design.
altius is offline   Reply With Quote