Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Will you give away your car to a stranger for money in India?
If I can give away my apartment for rent, I can do that for my car too. So YES. 2 5.13%
I love my car too much. So a big NO. 33 84.62%
Maybe. If I'm in need of money or if the car is sparingly used. 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th February 2012, 13:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Earn $6 - $75 Per Hour Renting Out Your Car - Peer To Peer Car Sharing

I would not rent out neither my apartment nor my car, because I don't trust strangers.

Although, like dhanushs, I wouldn't mind taking somebody else's car on rent. Would definitely be useful when one goes out of town by public transport.

Actually, if you look at the process followed by these car sharing websites, its a fairly sophisticated affair -

- Background checks on the people taking the cars on rent.
- Comprehensive insurance provided by the website.
- Ability to screen drivers - not anybody can walk in and take the car keys. So I guess if you want to give the car only to software engineers or bankers, you could do that.
- Feedback and rating system
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 13:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Earn $6 - $75 Per Hour Renting Out Your Car - Peer To Peer Car Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
but how different is giving away an apartment for rent vs giving away a car for rent?
Its quiet different, for one any damage on the apartment would be easily visible and much much cheaper to fix then compared to a car, there are agreements that can protect the owner in-case the tenant does not pay rent.

Incase if there are decent damages (apart form normal wear and tear) there is deposit to take care of repairs if the tenant does not agree.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

If its a give and take, then NO! If its only take, then why not .

But seriously, I wouldnt lend it to a stranger. If a friend needs it, its a different story. But no, not to a stranger.

Novel concept though.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Big NO! The only time I have given away my car for anything is when my friend borrowed it to use between overseas assigments for a period of about 6 months. That too because it was my second car (not used much) and more importantly my friend is an excellent driver who takes great care of his cars. I wouldn't take money from him so he bought and installed a brand new set of Rockford-Fosgate speakers, got rid of some dents in the right door, got the rear bumper repainted, serviced the car twice etc. etc. Basically returned it to me in the same or better shape than he got it in, but no cash exchanged hands!
I would never give the car to anyone whom I knew wasn't an excellent driver.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 15:05   #20
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2012 at 18:55.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2012, 04:05   #21
BHPian

Angry Re: Peer to Peer Car Rental / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice concept, but seemingly impractical for India.

1. BHPians (and other's who love their cars) won't give their rides for rent. We love our cars way too much to run the risk of a 3rd party abusing it.

2. It's ILLEGAL! Technically, you cannot give a privately-owned car on rent.

3. Risk : What if someone totals your car? Worse, what if the customer runs away with it? Good luck trying to minimise your losses. Or worse still, fighting it out for years in the court. What if someone borrows your car, and replaces the perfectly-working aircon compressor with a defective one?

In my opinion, this business is best left to the professionals (the like of Avis as well as the smaller players).
I was just planning to borrow a car from a friend and I came across your comment on lending a car to a stranger to a friend. I understand that you are a moderator and I don't have authority to prove you otherwise, but I want to clarify few things as you are acusing people whom you don't even know.

1. How come you are so sure that the person who is borrowing the car wants for a good purpose or in case of medical emergency? Think practically?

2. Why would someone borrow your car and change the AC compressor for no reason? If I am lending my car to someone I don't know, then yes you are right, I agree with you however if he is my close friend why would he replace things, I don't understand the logic behind this.

3.There's no law which says we cannot borrow our friend's car and ride it. I understand its illegal but having said that would you also not lend your bike to your friend just because its illegal? Again Think practically!!!!

I never came across such bizarre and absurd comments. How can you accuse people as if everyone who borrows the car is a thief and at the end of the day the car can be stolen, totaled, etc.

We have few car rental services in Chennai, They lend private cars to strangers. I myself borrowed it and returned it safely.

If i can borrow from a company a privately owned car on rent, why wouldn't a friend lends his car to his friend? I agree with you on one point that If a strangers walks into my home and asks my car for rent. I will say no directly without any regret.

What if you see your friend asking for help to take her wife for hospital? would you argue with him at that point of time that it is illegal and things like that?
udayjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 07:51   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Peer to Peer Car Rental / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
2. Why would someone borrow your car and change the AC compressor for no reason? If I am lending my car to someone I don't know, then yes you are right, I agree with you however if he is my close friend why would he replace things, I don't understand the logic behind this.
I dont think this thread is for cases where friend's borrow your car. Its only about giving cars to people whom you do not know.

Quote:
3.There's no law which says we cannot borrow our friend's car and ride it. I understand its illegal but having said that would you also not lend your bike to your friend just because its illegal? Again Think practically!!!!
It is not illegal to give your friend your car/bike to drive/ride. However what is illegal is you asking your friend rent for the same when it is clearly a private vehicle. I think this is what is being termed illegal on this thread

Quote:
I never came across such bizarre and absurd comments. How can you accuse people as if everyone who borrows the car is a thief and at the end of the day the car can be stolen, totaled, etc.

We have few car rental services in Chennai, They lend private cars to strangers. I myself borrowed it and returned it safely.
Yes, there are. Still, if it has a white number plate, it is illegal. Also, they do have all the agreements in place and have a photocopy of all your ID proof as well, so in a way their bases are covered. However, for an individual to do all this and rent out his/her car, it would be a little bit more cumbersome to keep track of all this.

When somebody is in the car rental business, he would have to assume that everyone is a thief and that is why he gets agreements, IDs etc to cover his base just in case the person who rents the vehicle actually turns out to be one!!!

Quote:
If i can borrow from a company a privately owned car on rent, why wouldn't a friend lends his car to his friend? I agree with you on one point that If a strangers walks into my home and asks my car for rent. I will say no directly without any regret.

What if you see your friend asking for help to take her wife for hospital? would you argue with him at that point of time that it is illegal and things like that?
Yes, I will give my car to my friend in case of emergencies like the one quoted above. But, I would never charge them money for it. Hence there is no question of anything being illegal here.

My two cents
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 16:57   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Peer to Peer Car Rental / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I dont think this thread is for cases where friend's borrow your car. Its only about giving cars to people whom you do not know.

It is not illegal to give your friend your car/bike to drive/ride. However what is illegal is you asking your friend rent for the same when it is clearly a private vehicle. I think this is what is being termed illegal on this thread

Yes, there are. Still, if it has a white number plate, it is illegal. Also, they do have all the agreements in place and have a photocopy of all your ID proof as well, so in a way their bases are covered. However, for an individual to do all this and rent out his/her car, it would be a little bit more cumbersome to keep track of all this.

When somebody is in the car rental business, he would have to assume that everyone is a thief and that is why he gets agreements, IDs etc to cover his base just in case the person who rents the vehicle actually turns out to be one!!!

Yes, I will give my car to my friend in case of emergencies like the one quoted above. But, I would never charge them money for it. Hence there is no question of anything being illegal here.

My two cents
I did not mention anything about money. The moderator quoted that its illegal to lend your car to someone you do not know. Nobody will do that in the first place. I think you will agree on this too.

Having said that, moderator just blindly said lending your private car to someone is illegal. It will be illegal only when you rent your private car and claim money on that, yes it is illegal and I too agree.

I believe the moderator should take a moral responsibility to explain things so that nobody gets hurt.

"1. BHPians (and other's who love their cars) won't give their rides for rent. We love our cars way too much to run the risk of a 3rd party abusing it."

why would someone rent their car to some stranger just because he wants to earn money?

"2. It's ILLEGAL! Technically, you cannot give a privately-owned car on rent" - Totally agree on that. But a privately owned car can be borrowed by your friends or relatives. I think moderator should explain this.

"3. Risk : What if someone totals your car? Worse, what if the customer runs away with it? Good luck trying to minimise your losses. Or worse still, fighting it out for years in the court. What if someone borrows your car, and replaces the perfectly-working aircon compressor with a defective one?"

The above comment is really confusing. Why would you rent your car to a stranger. Yeah, someone who wants to earn money from their car, they should be ready to see all these happenings. Nothing comes for free.
udayjani is offline   Reply With Quote