Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 31st March 2006, 06:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota 3 series : The Chinese are Back!

Brilliance Auto of China are in a partnership with BMW to sell BMW sedans in China. They probably also have a Zhonghua car division to make and sell cars under that brand name. Why look far when you have your partner's range of cars to get 'inspired' from. So they made a car that looks like the BMW 3. After copying the design, they still had a problem and weren't able to figure out what design should the logo of their company be. So they decided to rip off Toyota this time! Take a look at the pics. The logo is very Toyotaish and the car very BMWish. Here we all are critising Hyundai for copying designs, while the Chinese are even copying logo's!

For US$16,000 you get a 2.0 L Automatic Front and side airbags, climate Control, power everything, leather heated power seats, bluetooth, keyless entry etc etc. God knows how it fares in safety though. Anyone who knows Chinese can make some sense from zhonghuacar.com. I wonder how the interiors look like. At this rate all the major car makers will be scared to get into partnerships with local chinese companies! Imagine your own partner copying your original designs.

Last edited by amit : 31st March 2006 at 06:45.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 07:15   #2
BHPian

Damn! I had to pinch myself before beleiving this post. I did some googling and these pics are all over the place. Its great if they have pulled this off on their own, but I really doubt it. I cannot see how auto manufacturers can accept such a thing happenning to them. GM protested with the Chinese govt. about a chinese copy of Daewoo Matiz, nothing happenned the chinese car still sells like hot cakes.

Our Tata's and Mahindra's better gear up with good designers and lawers for their onslaught. They are going to copy every single good idea in the world.
-Prasadee
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The problem (not actually a problem) but in China patents are not considerd.
So for each & every product not just automobiles copy is available in market within 3 months & legally its not wrong either.

Quote:
Here we all are critising Hyundai for copying designs, while the Chinese are even copying logo's!
So you are saying Hyundai are at the level of Chinese auto companies?
I do consider Hyundai to be better than Chinese auto companies, and hence they are criticised because they are like it or not slowly becoming big player and hence design copy stuff isn't good.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 09:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are saying Hyundai are at the level of Chinese auto companies?
No.

What my statement meant was that while we critise or complain about a company (could be Hyundai , could be Toyota and could even be Mercedes) for copying a design, there is a larger issue or problem at hand, that of some companies copying designs of corporate logos. Talk about creative bankcruptcy.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote