Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 3rd May 2012, 09:36   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: How Hyundai went from joke to contender in USA

@k_nitin_r; I am not sure about Skoda. Failures of th DSG are legend, and ad for Skoda Service, many people refer to it as Shkoda with emphasis on the H..
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:52   #32
BHPian

Impressive read, indeed. Currently, on a short trip visiting Denver/Kansas/Monroe, I'm amazed by the number of Hyundais on the roads here. Surprisingly, some of my colleagues here say that the Hyundai is a lot more easier to maintain in terms of cost and serviceability in comparison to the usual, ie Toyotas and Nissans.

Having lived a good 18 years of my life in the Middle East (Bahrain, specifically), I have always known Hyundai to be the poor man's stead. And it indeed still is in the Gulf. The Hyundais are usually bought by college goers or the likes who can't afford a Japanese or a German but still prefer to have a new car with new features.

Somehow, this perception had imbibed a negativity in me about the brand, and was further ascertained after the last Hyundai that was bought in my circle of friends in India - an Accent. And boy ! It was like a dead donkey already after just 3 years of use. And that perception continued till new gen of Hyundais came - i10, i20, fluidic verna. Things sure seem to have changed for the Korean now.

And that probably relates to this boom of Hyundais in the USA too. But, back in the Gulf, the arabs still swear by the Japs and Germs. Well, they have the monies and wouldn't care a damn about cost and serviceability when super unleaded petrol is available at 12rs/litre....
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Impressive read, indeed. Currently, on a short trip visiting Denver/Kansas/Monroe, I'm amazed by the number of Hyundais on the roads here.
But, back in the Gulf, the arabs still swear by the Japs and Germs. Well, they have the monies and wouldn't care a damn about cost and serviceability when super unleaded petrol is available at 12rs/litre....
Hello MempheS.D,

Yes. People are really amazed by the rise & rise of Hyundai Motors in USA. Full credit to Hyundai USA for achieving this.

When it comes to Middle East, the buying pattern of Arab's is quite different. Firstly the fuel is cheap (or almost free) there, so fuel efficiency is not much of a concern there. Also the motive for buying a Car there is more of comfort / show-off rather than real need.

That is why you see Arab's owning best of everything & showing their possessions proudly.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 13:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

The one thing that clearly says Hyundai is on the right track is the drastic change in their design philosophy. The new designers at Hyundai must be a talented lot! Where things are going downward in the design department for companies like Honda (read new Civic, new Accord), Toyota (read Etios, new Camry), Nissan (read Evalia, Micra), Hyundai has taken their designs to all new levels. If not anything else, it clearly shows they know what customers like and what they want! I would say, I would not be surprised if at some point in the future, Hyundai along with it's sub-brand Kia, would be one of the top 5 Auto companies in the world.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 16:32   #35
BHPian

Hyundai has definitely improved in sales globally. A decade or so ago there were very few hyundai's being sold in south Africa. The only that had any decent sales were the tiburon and scoupe because they looked good. Today, they are one of the bigger manufacturers there.

They have been proactive in adopting good management techniques and really raising their game
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote