Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th April 2012, 13:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Toyota Corolla- Not too Far Away

Straightforward enough and does the job according to me. Like the car - delivers without fuss without being spectacular. I guess they'll bring in a different diesel plant - maybe an AT version in diesel too?
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 15:37   #17

Thanks for the info, My spirits are lifted, The new design also resembles the Avensis in UK
Praying that Toyota replaces the 1.4L to 2 L D4D - If this happens, will be booking with my eyes closed.
kuppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:23   #18
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I seriously hope not. The Sunny looks awful from most angles (no offense to any owners). By the way, the current Corolla has a pretty good rear door opening. The ingress/egress is easy and rear seat comfort is fantastic.
Sunny is simply FUNCTION over FORM & that is where it breaks the old mould & delivers something spectacular. Its rear legroom is identical to cars from much higher segments like Teana & Superb & what a price point, simply amazing.

Why would anybody not like that extra leg-room, its an out & out advantage. Sunny's sales figures are an testimony to its approval among the consumers who have choosen it over some formidable opposition.

While present Corollas rear legroom or ingress-egress is nothing worth mentioning, its simply what traditional cars in the segment offer. How is this new gen. going to be different, what is Toyota going to do to make it shine & show that its an 11th or so iteration of the vehicle! I think its a brilliant chance for Toyota to revive the Corolla brand by offering something different/spectacular.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Sunny is simply FUNCTION over FORM & that is where it breaks the old mould & delivers something spectacular. Its rear legroom is identical to cars from much higher segments like Teana & Superb & what a price point, simply amazing.

Why would anybody not like that extra leg-room, its an out & out advantage. Sunny's sales figures are an testimony to its approval among the consumers who have choosen it over some formidable opposition.

While present Corollas rear legroom or ingress-egress is nothing worth mentioning, its simply what traditional cars in the segment offer. How is this new gen. going to be different, what is Toyota going to do to make it shine & show that its an 11th or so iteration of the vehicle! I think its a brilliant chance for Toyota to revive the Corolla brand by offering something different/spectacular.

I have to say i couldn't agree more. The Sunny has shocked a few with its impressive sales ! Nissan has really cracked the segment in its first attempt.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 17:01   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not offensive nor exciting, just like most Corollas have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I just hope they stop this trend of increasing the width and length of the car with each passing generation.
So true! The Civic / Corolla today are what the Accord / Camry were a couple of generations back. The current gen Accord is simply too big. It's a b-a-r-g-e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I think its time Japs outsource their design department to Italians. Vento...
The Vento is German, Nilesh, not Italian. Either ways, I hope the Japs stay away from the Italians whose interiors are poorly packaged, and ergonomically messed up.

Quote:
Agreed. The Sunny's gained a fair share of fans in the family.

Quote:
While present Corollas rear legroom or ingress-egress is nothing worth mentioning
Nothing worth mentioning? Sorry, I beg to disagree. The Altis has the best back-seat (seating positioning & space) amongst its direct competitors. The Cruze, Civic (too low a seat), Laura & Jetta don't even come close. The Corolla's higher seat positioning also lends it superior ingress / egress than the low slung Civic and Jetta. The back seat is one of many reasons why the Corolla is the segment-topper.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 17:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
The front in a strange way resembles old gen Pontiac and the rear of Chevy Malibu. I wonder what they did to the interiors.
I look at the rear of the new Toyota Corolla hatchback pic and think about the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. The tail lights have that 'L' shape.

If you look at the Toyotas sold in the middle east, the Toyota Avalon 2000 was a revolutionary design and all the other offerings from Toyota used the same styling (just as the Ertiga resembles the Ritz). The Toyota Corolla too adopted a front and a rear similar to the Toyota Avalon 2000 before reverting to something that more closely matched the older Corollas. The Indian Corollas (which were referred to as the Corolla Altis) never took on the form that the Toyota Avalon had set so we never got to see those designs on the Indian streets. The current generation of the Toyota Corolla appears to be the same in India as well as the Middle East.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 22:49   #22
BHPian

The rear looks just like the latest camry (tail lights). I find a slight bit of Etios in the front design though. Somehow the rear does not suit the front design IMO. Overall, its still a boring design for me to clearly recognize its a Toyota!

Last edited by carfreak77 : 27th April 2012 at 22:51.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 23:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

What I don't understand is why are automakers going in for angular designs. Whatever happened to simple, straightforward clean lines? The headlights have angles, the brake lights have weird sloping angles - everything is just so confusing, and trying to stand out. Even Honda is following suit with such funky designs. So is Nissan. Ture Jap auto designers been kidnapped and replaced with 21-yr anime-loving kids?!?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 00:44   #24
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Altis has the best back-seat (seating positioning & space) amongst its direct competitors. The Cruze, Civic (too low a seat), Laura & Jetta don't even come close. The Corolla's higher seat positioning also lends it superior ingress / egress than the low slung Civic and Jetta. The back seat is one of many reasons why the Corolla is the segment-topper.
Agreed Corolla has good back seat comfort, ingress/egress compared to the segment. What I meant was that this is going to be Corollas 11th or so gen. & what different is Toyota going to do to make a splash & really show that the car is contemporary enough to be in its 11th. gen.

Latest breed of cars that are making their mark are the ones which break the usual/normal/regular mould. Take eg. of Ertiga, Sunny, XUV. All these vehicles are class leading & because they offered something new that never existed in the segments. Now Corolla is a brilliant platform to begin with & a hugely successful one at that. Toyota can build upon this & what all different can it do:
-offer a cutting edge shape/design. Sorry the probabilities for this look well almost none.
-Bring in a good diesel motor. Sure they can. Well this will be matched by Cruze, Jetta, Laura, etc.
-Increase the rear legroom. Now this is thinking out of the box & offering something that doesn't exist in the segment & chances are that customers will accept it whole heartedly.

Now, Im 6 ft. tall & do experience difficulty getting in & out of Corollas rear. Also while in there, I do see some good legroom. While when I sit in the Sunnys rear, Im pleasently surprised & enjoy the extra room/space it offers. Also the rear doors in Sunny are big/large & ingress-egress is really facilitated. On the other hand & as rightly mentioned by you, the seat squab, cushioning, back rest, etc. are superior in Corolla but this is all secondary when directly compared to Sunnys back seat experience. There's no alternative for the superb real estate!

Having owned a Corolla & living with it & while we are discussing its leg-room, let me also state that the space in the front row is very much restricted too. Call it Japanese effect! My left knee keeps fouling with the central consol & while getting in-out, my legs usually strike against the steering column. To make space for myself, I've carried out a modification on the drivers seat. I will click some photos to show that. With this mod, I get extra legroom to get comfy behind the wheel. When I first experienced this, I was shocked & moreso becasue the car was in its 10th or so gen. & heck the company could not just provide decent legroom!

Before the present gen. Altis was scheduled to be released & I saw its spy pics, etc. I was really taken aback & ridiculed Toyota from pillar to post. Ofcourse other people too raised voices. All that shouting paid off, ok maybe a little but Toyota took the vehicle back to the design board & completely re-designed the car. Prize was in the form of the present Altis. Again it was only so much Toyota could manage!

So I would really love if Toyota breaks from the usual mould & offers that something extra. Let it not just be "this is our most popular car, its the 11th gen, blah-blah" & nothing more, just another regular, middle of the road sedan. Guess its time for next gen. Corolla to finally "walk the talk".
Old 28th April 2012, 09:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like another winner on the way. But it desperately needs a 2L diesel heart. The 1.8 Petrol is still a gem of an engine.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 11:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading in another thread that Toyota is going to have major changes to next gen. Corolla, but looks like they’re sticking to their safe and conservative self.

Design-wise, I personally feel it’s a step backwards from the current Corolla (atleast for now).
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:48   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed Corolla has good back seat comfort, ingress/egress compared to the segment. What I meant was that this is going to be Corollas 11th or so gen. & what different is Toyota going to do to make a splash
I don't subscribe to the thought that every new generation car should be larger than the one it's replacing. Look what happened to the currently sold Accord; it's a barge! At the end of the day, there is only so much space you need. The Accord's large proportions led to a market response that was below expectation in North America (it's most important market).

I think the Corolla's size & space are perfect. Yes, they do need a competent diesel motor, but surely not a snazzy design (the Corolla's target customer obviously likes things subtle).

Quote:
really show that the car is contemporary enough to be in its 11th. gen.
Without growing larger, a new generation car can be contemporary enough if it's safer, more refined, improves on the disadvantages of the outgoing car, has better engines etc.

Honda & Toyota have been left in the dust by the Europeans in terms of technology. They need to bring out turbo-charged direct injection petrols, dual-clutch gearboxes et al (instead of making the car bigger).

Quote:
Latest breed of cars that are making their mark are the ones which break the usual/normal/regular mould. Take eg. of Ertiga, Sunny, XUV.
Without doubt.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 14:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the thought that every new generation car should be larger than the one it's replacing. Look what happened to the currently sold Accord; it's a barge! At the end of the day, there is only so much space you need. The Accord's large proportions led to a market response that was below expectation in North America (it's most important market).
Exactly why I didn't consider the Accord while considering my recent sedan upgrade. It was just TOO big to even back out of my house.

Corolla has way too many things going for it. It appeals to a rational mind for starters. No way it could have become the world's largest selling car for nothing.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 17:04   #29
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the thought that every new generation car should be larger than the one it's replacing.The Accord's large proportions led to a market response that was below expectation in North America
Not every gen. but a few/some & till it achieves a size/dimension which can seat all the occupants in comfort. Sincerely I don't know why Accord bombed in U.S. but do know the absence of a diesel mill killed it here. India is a growing market & the concept "LARGER THE BETTER" is followed eyes closed. Who would not like the "MORE CAR PER CAR" appeal.

Quote:
Without growing larger,car can be contemporary enough if it's safer, more refined, improves on the disadvantages of the outgoing car, has better engines
Contemporary factors are decided by the market/competition. Leapfrogging the segment is another term, Civic did that to the Corolla in this gen. Of late I have been seeing the subsequent gens. of some cars are mere cosmetic upgrades whithout much changing beneath the skin.

For the present times, contemporary would mean a powerful engine, more features - entertainment, safety & kit. While leapfrogging would need - stretched platform, hybrid motor, cutting edge/futuristic design, features - plenty of em..!

Taking into account an average Indian family size, no. of occupants, etc, I feel the rear doors should be as big as the front doors in most of the sedans. Our usage type is very different from the Western Countries, present day sedans suit their styles well. A car like Sunny, well I won't call it perfect but the one thing & that is the rear space is its USP & a major deciding factor in its favour. Just think if it had regular/normal space at the rear & then plonk it against Rapid, Vento, Verna, etc. Would it be a winner still. NO, it would have felt the heat!

I know Toyotas DNA won't allow it to make such huge changes & that reliability is its core strength. Still it won't loose any of its core strengths if it thought out of the box. Toyota itself has acknowledged this issue & wants its designs in the future to be in tune with time. Due to lack of adaptive skills even Dinasours vanished, high time Toyota woke up...!
Old 30th April 2012, 21:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

The new civic has a shorter length and wheelbase, yet a we bit more space on the inside as compared to the outgoing model.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote