Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th May 2012, 23:28   #16
Default Re: All new Toyota Corolla Axio launched in Japan

Hmmm, a Corolla - good! Its become a routine with Toyota now. There's something that's really wrong with the attitude I assume. Initially when the Land Cruiser was being replaced as a completely new model in 2009, that replaced model was anything but a beauty. I remember seeing these on the road then and thinking, "Boy, who would want to buy and own this THING?" And it was answered soon after when I bought one the very next year. It didn't have most options that its competitors' had, it was not offered on a silver plate (I had to wait for sometime), I didn't get any discounts (so much so that the sales guy said that I getting an LC itself is a big achievement). The blame's on myself and people like me who buy Toyota vehicles because they have this fail-proof quality and one can't be bothered with repeat visits to the garage (not that other manufacturer cars are any different nowadays, but its this perception in the mind which started from a very longtime ago). Couple all this and Toyota have the right blend of people who would buy their vehicle even if they re-launched the Cressida now.

Even recently, when I wanted to replace my company's transportation van, my choices were Nissan Urvan, Hyundai H-1, VW Transporter and the Toyota Hiace. The costliest amongst the lot was, you guessed it - Toyota Hiace. And I ended getting it. And know what, this commercial transport van and my Land Cruiser share the same audio system

So people, as long as we are here, Toyota shouldn't worry much. Its like what they used to say here in Dubai, "Build it, and they will come!" Now there are enough and more buildings but not many residents.

Champion is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:51   #17

My first car (actually first motorized transportation) was a new made-in-Japan Corolla. Ran it for 7 long years and did everything a 25 year old can do to abuse a car. Nothing went wrong with her except the red / blue sticker on the HVAC thermostat peeling a bit.

Was waiting for the new Corolla for the Missus. I am now a (hopefully) wise 40 year old with over 20 years as an auto industry veteran. In all my wisdom or lack of it - Unless the pricing is earth-shatteringly good (knowing Toyota it won't), I will not be considering the Corolla. The styling is hideous by far, the interiors sparse, the kit will be more spartan than a Buddhist monk's cave.

The shortlist now - ANHC Auto, Hyundai Elantra. Outsider chance - Ford Ecosport if they do a DSG and a sweet turbo-petrol

I am not in a hurry and the money is ticking away in a short-term fund. I like buying my stuff full-cash!

Rinam kritwa ghritam na pibet!!

Last edited by Ferruccio : 15th May 2012 at 11:53.
Ferruccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:36   #18

Well, seriously we don't want this car coming to India. The design is totally dated and but in line with Toyota's recent launches. The new Innova, Etios/Liva are all examples of quite ordinary aesthetics and design. On the positive front, the Axio does not have a center mounted instrument panel.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised at the looks of this car. Should we contribute to set up a fund so that Toyota can afford a competent industrial design house?
At least we will be spared the sight of Liva and Etios and the company.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 13:02   #20

With styling cues like this, I'm sure this next gen corolla will get a thumbs down in major markets like North america and few european ones too. The current Ford Focus sedan is supercar like in comparison to this oriental design gone old and bad.

Just hope the parts quality isn't something like the etios. That would be a rather bad downgrade.

In the above pics only the beige interior has the tunnel showing below the rear seats while its not visible in the other colour pics.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 16:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Seriously Toyota, what has gotten into your designers. Please at least have a look at your competitors before providing nod for such boring designs.

Corolla will lose it's charm and value associated with it, if the management doesn't intervene and bring some radical changes in design.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 13:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

IMO 2013 Toyota Corolla sedan should look better with the grill on the station-wagon (refer below link for image):

Photo Gallery - carpoint.com.au
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote