Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 20th June 2012, 20:38   #16
BHPian

Arrow Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Think of the Peugeot name and one of the first things to come to mind is the Peugeot 309 of yore. Well, fans of the 309 have something to rejoice about. This new sedan that Peugeot has planned for developing markets, called the 301, takes a leaf right out the 309ís book ó itís simple, robust, has a penchant for bad roads and is expected to become one of Peugeotís best-selling cars in the world. It hopes to get good volumes from developing markets, so that will also help the company price it very competitively.

Full details here -

Peugeot 301 - Re-entry!

The stunning Peugeot 301 may soon be in India - Rediff.com Business

I personally loved the up-market looks of this one.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 20:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

I too saw that today morning. The looks are definitely reassuring except that the past experience many owners faced may be a deterrent initially. For which Peugeot has to be on overdrive to convince buyers that they mean business.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 20:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Totally with this post!
Love Peugeot and yes this particular specimen looks really stylish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Think of the Peugeot name and one of the first things to come to mind is the Peugeot 309 of yore. Well, fans of the 309 have something to rejoice about. This new sedan that Peugeot has planned for developing markets, called the 301, takes a leaf right out the 309ís book ó itís simple, robust, has a penchant for bad roads and is expected to become one of Peugeotís best-selling cars in the world. It hopes to get good volumes from developing markets, so that will also help the company price it very competitively.

Full details here -

Peugeot 301 - Re-entry!

The stunning Peugeot 301 may soon be in India - Rediff.com Business

I personally loved the up-market looks of this one.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 01:28   #19
BHPian

I am not sure how true this is. I remember Peugeot was testing the 508 and the 207 for the Indian market. I drove the 508 from Mumbai to Khandala and back as part of the test.

Peugeot was going to launch the 508 first and was also setting up a plant in Gujarat. However, the last time I checked they had canceled those plans and had also shut down their India operations completely.

Even if they do come to India now, given their track record in India, they might find it difficult to find buyers for the cars. And this has nothing to do with the cars themselves!!
HKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 07:57   #20
BHPian

Peugeot sure seem to be ready for their second inning! We, Team-BHPians, have spotted various test mules of 207 hatchback, which is set to compete with i20, swift etc etc. and 508 sedan, which will fight with Accord, Superb, Passat and Sonata.

This 301 sedan should be priced in the territory of Honda City, Hyundai verna etc. to compete in the C segment. Well, about the styling department here, I'm fixed in a dilemma here. My mind says this is stylish and would appeal to a large number of people as we, in India, want bang for the buck and this could do that but my heart says it is a bit overdone here! I prefer my designs to be clean, timeless and understated that tick all the right boxes for me.

S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever heard the phrase, "she loves me.. she loves me not"? Looks like we could change it to "Peugeot is coming.. Peugeot is coming not"!

As much as there's something to look forward to in their cars speculated to come to India, I don't see any point hoping for that until they are actually launched.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:55   #22
BHPian

Peugeot was expected to keep their India plans alive through a tie-up/ CKD route. However, I wouldn't want to pay my money to a company, first with a bad record and now one how is half a**ing their entry to India.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
However, I wouldn't want to pay my money to a company, first with a bad record and now one how is half a**ing their entry to India.
Can you please clarify what is meant by that part? I can't even read it properly
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Good to see another maker thinking of coming back to India. However, with the background that it has got (again PAL to blame, or are they?) I'm afraid it is going to be another "FIAT" in the market. Their sustainability in the market will be a real challenge for them.
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Can you please clarify what is meant by that part? I can't even read it properly
I meant, In the past the same company shutdown their operations and exited without even returning customer bookings. Now after announcing grand plans of re-entering India by opening a factory el all, which we all know is not happening now. Looks like they want to play it safe and enter the market with a light baggage (no factory or no large investment). Intentions of a MNC can be made out by their investment plans, if they are really here for good, it shows in their investments (Nissan, VW).
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I meant, In the past the same company shutdown their operations and exited without even returning customer bookings. Now after announcing grand plans of re-entering India by opening a factory el all, which we all know is not happening now. Looks like they want to play it safe and enter the market with a light baggage (no factory or no large investment). Intentions of a MNC can be made out by their investment plans, if they are really here for good, it shows in their investments (Nissan, VW).
Ok got it.

Peugeot were supplying engines to Maruti for some time, and I guess they were better off doing something of that sorts in India rather than marketing their own cars without much investments here.

Btw, the engine they supplied to Maruti was a true gem, TUD5 - returned an FE of around 26kmpl in its good days and is still running after 12 years and lakhs of kms on the odo, of course with another owner.

Running cost for our diesel car in 1998 was 40 paise per km, cheaper than the Bajaj Chetak we had.

Last edited by clevermax : 21st June 2012 at 12:00.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

The 301 has that euro chic..simple yet stylish. But looks alone will not guarantee sales. Peugeot's long term commitment to the Indian market remains to be seen. The recent mixed messages from them have not helped their case.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 12:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

nice to see Peugeot puting more effort into their India plans, I thought i read a while ago that they are planning to pull out? or am I wrong :O
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 14:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
nice to see Peugeot puting more effort into their India plans, I thought i read a while ago that they are planning to pull out? or am I wrong :O
I read the same thing in the Autocar Professional magazine, I will try to find the article, scan it and upload it onto this post. (If the magazine is still in the lobby) From what i remember, they were delaying plans for their Indian start up until their financial situation in Europe improves.
nvdisdesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 15:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

From the mentioned article from Business Standard, it’s not clear that they have actually plans for India. It’s just an assumption that this car may be suitable for India. I love the Pug, but knowing their history in India, I will not get too excited with this news bit.

Anyways, we already have a thread on this specific car: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...g-markets.html
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote