Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 15:54   #31
BHPian
 
lionell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jodhpur
Posts: 163
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Peugeot has indeed put on hold plans for their plant in Gujarat. This part of the global restructuring at PSA Peugeot Citroen.

Peugeot have now cemented a strategic alliance with GM globally. The news I read last was that Peugeot might use GM's Halol and Talegaon plants as part of that alliance. Therefore there is no question of a new plant in Gujarat.

But this will surely take time to materialize.

More details here
lionell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 22:23   #32
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00įN,79.58įE
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Peugeot rolls out 301 (and new nomenclature) for emerging markets. India too?

Little OT, nevertheless noteworthy here.
Eminenttismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:55   #33
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Think of the Peugeot name and one of the first things to come to mind is the Peugeot 309 of yore
When I think of the Peugeot brand name, I recall the Peugeot TUD5 engines that were used by Maruti, Tata, and Hyundai (among others), and the Peugeot 206 that made up a good portion of the low-end car market in UAE. Peugeot did try to position itself as an upmarket vehicle with a higher-priced convertible but somehow people who know of the old image of Peugeot have a hard time accepting the new image. The same applies to people who treated Hyundai and Skoda as under-performing vehicles... when they come to India and are told these are 'semi' luxury vehicles, they'd be wondering which sand-as-gold salesman managed to sell the vehicles at their price tags.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:27   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
............ somehow people who know of the old image of Peugeot have a hard time accepting the new image. The same applies to people who treated Hyundai and Skoda as under-performing vehicles... when they come to India and are told these are 'semi' luxury vehicles,........

Unfortunately i am struggling to get out of this mindset even now.
Hyundai to me even today conjures up images of cheap cars that were given away as prize in raffle contests.
Even when i20 is way better than Etios and Samsung galaxy phones are better than Nokia offerings, i still have to accept them as proper brands.
But slowly it's changing thanks to my dad who sees the Koreans as the new VFM players, (ironically he is the one who taught me Hyundai/Kia was crap a decade ago.)
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:41   #35
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Unfortunately i am struggling to get out of this mindset even now.
Hyundai to me even today conjures up images of cheap cars that were given away as prize in raffle contests.Even when i20 is way better than Etios and Samsung galaxy phones are better than Nokia offerings, i still have to accept them as proper brands.
Samsung did manage to change its image and that is a feat almost impossible to accomplish. I still buy Nokia instead of Samsung and I have a bag of old Nokia phones dating back to 1998 to demonstrate faith in their quality. I haven't had a Samsung product yet, but I would be willing to buy one.

Hyundai, however, didn't manage to do the global re-positioning of its brand so when I see Hyundai alongside Kia, Daihatsu, Chery, and Geely ("raffle-contest brands" is a good way to describe them), I can't suddenly change my image of the brand by simply getting off a plane. BTW, Suzuki has been selling the Alto as an alternative to the low-priced cars and that could work against its global brand positioning.

BTW, India has been quick to reject the Chinese motorcycles so I wonder why dealers are going to be optimistic about selling Ssangyong in India.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 08:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,690
Thanked: 3,864 Times
Default Re: Peugeot 301 Set to Re-Enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
When I think of the Peugeot brand name, I recall the Peugeot TUD5 engines that were used by Maruti, Tata, and Hyundai (among others), and the Peugeot 206 that made up a good portion of the low-end car market in UAE. Peugeot did try to position itself as an upmarket vehicle with a higher-priced convertible but somehow people who know of the old image of Peugeot have a hard time accepting the new image. The same applies to people who treated Hyundai and Skoda as under-performing vehicles... when they come to India and are told these are 'semi' luxury vehicles, they'd be wondering which sand-as-gold salesman managed to sell the vehicles at their price tags.
Well, one marketís luxury maybe trash for another market. IMHO, itís not ideal to judge Peugeot by how successful they were in the Middle East market. They are fairly successful in Europe and some parts of Asia, and PSA Peugeot CitroŽn group is indeed the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in Europe.

Not sure if the said 301 will come to India, but I personally find these plans quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
BTW, India has been quick to reject the Chinese motorcycles so I wonder why dealers are going to be optimistic about selling Ssangyong in India.
OT: what Ssangyong has to do with China?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 16:31   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Remember the 309GLD ? What a perfect car for Indian conditions!

Peugeot has the creds. They need the will for long term sustainability.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 22:27   #38
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Peugeot rolls out 301 (and new nomenclature) for emerging markets. India too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Remember the 309GLD ? What a perfect car for Indian conditions! Peugeot has the creds. They need the will for long term sustainability.
Look up the Peugeot 508 - it would make a good competitor to the Fiat Linea. It has a 1.6L turbo charged engine with a 6-speed automatic transmission. That's over 150hp of power.

BTW, doesn't the Peugeot RCZ remind anyone of the Audi TT (the one that they had till 2005)?
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 04:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,690
Thanked: 3,864 Times
Default Re: Peugeot rolls out 301 (and new nomenclature) for emerging markets. India too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Look up the Peugeot 508 - it would make a good competitor to the Fiat Linea. It has a 1.6L turbo charged engine with a 6-speed automatic transmission. That's over 150hp of power.
Nitin, sorry to say - you need to get the facts right. Competitor to the Linea! The 508 is in the segment of VW Passat, Honda Accord etc.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 16:57   #40
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Peugeot rolls out 301 (and new nomenclature) for emerging markets. India too?

slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 10 11th July 2016 15:10
VW to adopt torque based nomenclature for Asian markets Tushar The International Automotive Scene 1 13th December 2014 16:12
General Motors developing new platform for emerging markets Aditya The International Automotive Scene 15 7th December 2014 20:36
Volkswagen plans budget UP! car in emerging markets RemingtonSteele The Indian Car Scene 0 23rd June 2011 11:02
Toyota to produce low cost vehicles for emerging markets bigman The International Automotive Scene 0 3rd April 2006 00:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks