Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2012, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Spied: 2013 Honda Accord

From
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Spied on the Street! 2013 Honda Accord

Here's the first known set of spy photos of the 2013 Honda Accord, snagged by Brian Williams for KGP Photography. Here are the photos along with KGP's commentary. Please enjoy.

Quote:
We've snagged the first-ever shots of a 2013 Honda Accord prototype being put through its paces. Sources tell us that this new Accord is a major overhaul of the current platform, with significant changes throughout the entire car.

We have heard two differing reports regarding the dimensions of the 2013 Accord. One source suggests that this latest iteration will be the first in a long time that doesn't grow, perhaps even showing signs of downsizing. Another source has reported that the new Accord will actually continue gain some size compared to the current model. To our eyes, this Accord looks to have grown a bit, but we'll leave the individual analysis of that to you, the editor.

The styling of this 2013 Accord sedan looks to be more expressive than the rather dowdy outgoing model. The honeycomb mesh of the lower air-intake takes some cues from Honda's Accord Coupe Concept that bowed at the last North American International Auto Show in Detroit. However, while that mesh covers the low intake, the upper grille gets large horizontal slats, appearing broadly similar to the new grille-work applied to the facelifted Accord Crosstour. Perhaps this new grille treatment will evolve as a new corporate face for Honda.

The new Accord has been designed with optimum efficiency in mind, leading to the introduction of a new CVT replacing the current model's 5-speed, and the current port-injection replaced in favor of direct injection on both the 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-four and the 3.5-liter SOHC 24-valve V6. Honda promises that the CVT will still maintain a driver-focused demeanor, while improving fuel-efficiency by 10%.

The general sentiment is that Honda is losing its way a bit, while competitors like the 2013 Ford Fusion, the Hyundai Sonata Kia Optima grow more and more accomplished. Then there is a the improved 2013 Toyota Camry that has improved while its a perennial best-seller. The 2013 Accord is a hugely important car for Honda, a company whose luster has tarnished a bit over the passing years.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13accord_kgp01.jpg  

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13accord_kgp02.jpg  

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13accord_kgp07.jpg  

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13accord_kgp08.jpg  

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13accord_kgp10.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Spied: 2013 Honda Accord

The current Accord is a B-A-R-G-E! Gosh, I hope the new one is a smaller, or even the same size, but certainly not any bigger.

Quote:
the current port-injection replaced in favor of direct injection on both the 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-four and the 3.5-liter SOHC 24-valve V6.
Great to hear about direct injection! A Turbo should make the engine faster, and more fuel efficient as well.

Don't understand why Honda wants to give the Accord a CVT. About time they catch up with the Germans and dual-clutch gearboxes. Even the 1/2 price Ford Fiesta now has one.

Quote:
The general sentiment is that Honda is losing its way a bit
Ah, so that sentiment is not India-specific?

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2012 at 15:20.
Old 29th May 2012, 06:45   #3
BHPian

^^I agree. The previous gen accord was perfect in terms of size. And there was plenty of legroom.
Is is just me or the side profile looks just like A6.
Old 29th May 2012, 07:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

The current Accord's increase in dimension and overall relative lack of design flair has brought it a bit down in US and Sonata has got fantastic response. Honda should ( and I think they already have ) learnt this. US market is important for them, and they know this well apart from increasing competition in the form of Sonata and Altima. Camry remains in its own league ( though under pressure from Altima and Sonata ).

I really wish Honda comes up with a diesel engine for Indian market. Then its almost bye bye Sonata and Camry.
Honda needs to do what they did to Civic in 2006, a very good design without losing much at other parameters.
Old 29th May 2012, 07:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

They need someone like Toyota's CEO who is daring enough to tell them to produce concept like cars.
I think they focused too much on the American market and made their cars look and drive boring but couldn't match the Camry/Corolla for that. They are in no mans land now. Hope they go back to what they were. The alloys look similar to the Accord EX 95 model that I had !

Make them sleek like the RSX. Also, I am afraid of what they will do to the NSX :(

Last edited by srishiva : 29th May 2012 at 08:01.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 08:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
They need someone like Toyota's CEO who is daring enough to tell them to produce concept like cars.
I think they focused too much on the American market and made their cars look and drive boring but couldn't match the Camry/Corolla for that. They are in no mans land now. Hope they go back to what they were. The alloys look similar to the Accord EX 95 model that I had !

Make them sleek like the RSX. Also, I am afraid of what they will do to the NSX :(
Toyota? Hmmm.

I agree they have some concept like cars in the top end, but their bread and butter models are becoming boring and even more boring with each generation.

I'd say both these companies need to learn few things from Hyundai's recent growth.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Wow its getting even bigger? That will be one big boat !
I have to say we love the backseat of the car and do not believe any other offers the same level of comfort, but what about driving the damn thing in India ? Its not exactly like the US here and a larger car be a handful.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:34   #8
AWD
BANNED

Hope to see this with a diesel unit under its hood in India. Could be a worthy alternative to 3-pointed & other luxo sedans.

Good to see these cars growing up in size, will add more prestige value in India.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Toyota? Hmmm.

I agree they have some concept like cars in the top end, but their bread and butter models are becoming boring and even more boring with each generation.

I'd say both these companies need to learn few things from Hyundai's recent growth.
The new CEO certainly wants the new ones more exciting. The Lexus ES is a start.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Post Re: Spied: 2013 Honda Accord

The Interiors & new camouflaged exterior of the 2013 Accord have been spotted -

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-accordinterior2.jpg

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13acc_4d_kgp05.jpg

Spied: 2013 Honda Accord-13acc_4d_kgp04.jpg

Source & More Pics - Link

The Dials looks like modified versions of previous Gen Acura dials. The central console too looks like a face lifted interface over the existing setup.

The Exteriors don't look much inspiring currently, the read tail lamp design seems to be back to the how it was for the 6th & 7th gen models. I hope i doesn't look too much Acura Inspired.

Some specs

Quote:
This is the first month to order the 13M Accord sedan.

We are pleased to introduce the all new Accord sedan. For 13M the following trims will be available with these standard features.

13M Accord L4 Sedan Features

LX includes:

• Rearview camera
• 8 in. i-MID TFT screen
• Pandora
• SMS text messaging capability
• 16 in alloy wheels
• Body color door mirrors
• Chrome door handles
• Bluetooth HandsFreeLink
• USB
• Dual Zone Auto AC
• Auto on/off headlights
• Security Alarm

NEW Sport adds:

• 18 in Alloy Wheels
• 8-way power seat
• Fog Lights
• Dual Exhaust
• Decklid Spoiler
• Paddle Shifters

EX adds or replaces on Sport:

• Honda LaneWatch (Blind Spot display)
• Side mirrors with turn signal indicators
• 17 in Alloy Wheels
• Power Moonroof

EX-L adds or replaces features on EX:

• Leather trimmed seats
• Audio with touch screen
• Multi-angle rearview camera
• Forward Collision Warning
• Lane Departure Warning
• XM Radio
• Heated front seats
• Leather steering wheel
• Navigation option

13M Accord V6 Sedan Features

EX-L adds to L4 EX-L:

• LED Daytime Running Lights
• Homelink
• Dual Exhaust

NEW Touring:

• Includes all of the aforementioned EX-L features and some additional luxury car features

Source
Officially Introduced now. Continue discussion on This Thread 2013 Accord (2013 Honda Accord)

Thread Closed

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2012 at 18:23.
Closed Thread