Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th May 2012, 15:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Video : What Lexus can do and the Germans can't

Came across this video of Lexus LS400 road test from the old Topgear. Forward to 4:16 and you will see the real reason why Lexus's are so popular inspite of being a young luxury brand. For all the talk of German engineering, its the Japanese who are actually able to deliver a reliable luxury car even though they have the same or greater number of gizmo's to play with.

As a lover of all things mechanical, this level of refinement would be considered awesome even today, let alone two decades back!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 29th May 2012 at 16:11.
extreme_torque is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Video : What Lexus can do and the Germans can't

When the original LS400 was launched, it was touted to be Mercedes Benz quality at half the price. But little did the world know, that these were real classics, supremely reliable, very luxurious, over engineered like vintage Mercs. Everytime I get to see one, I tell myself, this is what I wanted Mercedes to keep retained.

We need Lexus here. But without overpricing that the brand resorts to.

Last edited by 1100D : 29th May 2012 at 16:11.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 23:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The original LS400 was a mind blowing car offering S class features and comforts at E class. But it was the level of engineering,refinement of the car that scared the germans. After close to a decade and a half selling the wonderful W126, Merc couldn't pull their socks up. The result? The W140. It was a beast of excess, and also last of 'tank Benzes' , but it was far from being as trouble free as the W126.
It's really a pity that our market has been isolated from the Lexus effect and the market all cornered by the Germans, either due to Toyota's usual slow approach or maybe the lack of diesel engine in it's arsenal(except the IS220d).
Waiting for news on the Lexus or Infiniti entry in India.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 00:32   #4
BHPian

The thing that happens after 4:16 is unbelievable. Thanks for sharing this video.

Wonder what happens when we try such thing in today's cars.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I also remember there is another video where they place a coin upright on a Honda Goldwing's engine crankcase and revv it and the coin stays! Thats even more astonishing. Not able to find it though.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen numerous Chinese and Indian women saying "Oh its a Lexus, we wanted to buy one" while the men drool over BMWs and others. They need to up their IS and GS for young buyers who form a majority.

Also, I had posted earlier about reading for LS that they have a couple of people who just work on the sound of the door thump (make it similar to a wooden door).

The attention to detail is really extraordinary.

Last edited by srishiva : 30th May 2012 at 13:05.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:14   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Video : What Lexus can do and the Germans can't

Thanks for sharing, Extreme Torque. Good to know that we finally see eye on eye on Lexus' refinement & reliability . Do I remember some healthy debates from an earlier time?

I, for one, cannot wait for Lexus to start selling cars in India. There are a large number of folks out there who want to buy a 30 - 50 lakh car, but are scared of the maintenance & reliability headache. I view the German breakdowns as complete failures.

Here's a related thread : Lexus in India
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
The thing that happens after 4:16 is unbelievable. Thanks for sharing this video.

Wonder what happens when we try such thing in today's cars.
Try the water-glass test in Vento TDI and I bet the glass would be shattered to pieces just at idling, forget about revving the engine to 6K mark
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Try the water-glass test in Vento TDI and I bet the glass would be shattered to pieces just at idling, forget about revving the engine to 6K mark
Not sure about vibrations. But the sound itself might create a new soundwave concept of heating the water

Has anyone seen 10 best machines or vehicles made ever program on TV. They drop a Honda scooter (looks similar to M80 that we had) from one or two floors. They stand it up and it starts in one kick and keeps moving

Last edited by srishiva : 30th May 2012 at 16:00.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Has anyone seen 10 best machines or vehicles made ever program on TV. They drop a Honda scooter (looks similar to M80 that we had) from one or two floors. They stand it up and it starts in one kick and keeps moving
Well could not see the video as no access, but can get a fair bit of understanding on what we are talking about, these japanese beauties are super duper smooth.

On the Honda scooter, that is the Honda Cub which was put through a battery of tests including being thrown off a terrace and still started in one kick, and yes the test also included filling it with Vegetable oil and it still started! It beat all competition to come out on tops.
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 20:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Neither the S-class nor the 7 series shown in the video came with an AC.

Shocking!!
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 22:56   #12
BHPian

This is the 1989 ad for the first gen LS.

The LS may have its share of detractors and skeptics ('dull ride', 'not sporty' et al.) but fact remains that there are far less LS owners who ever regret having bought an LS, than there are A8, 7 series and S class owners. One may buy a car for fun or status or whatever, but where the rubber meets the road what really matters is how the car serves you. Question is, should an $80,000 car serve you or should you end up being the servant of the car ? The LS scores way better over its other competitors on this one, like it or not.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 00:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Stupendous advert... thanks for sharing Ninad! I have huge respect for Toyota as a manufacturer. Lets hope Lexus comes to the Indian market soon.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 01:27   #14
BHPian

The 1989 ad is even more shocking than what happens in the TG video after 4:16. Really amazed by Lexus' striving for perfection. Whereas the rest of the well known manufacturers are relying on heritage to sell their cars, which create more headaches than comfortable rides, lexus actually continues till this day to innovate and try to make a trouble free experience for its owners. It was really nice to see the electronic dials in a 1990 Lexus while we see in Bmws and Jaguars of the recent generations.
Hats off to the Japanese for their discipline and dedication to make reliable and hassle free cars in all possible segments. Truly laudable!!
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 04:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Extreme Torque. Good to know that we finally see eye on eye on Lexus' refinement & reliability . Do I remember some healthy debates from an earlier time?

I, for one, cannot wait for Lexus to start selling cars in India. There are a large number of folks out there who want to buy a 30 - 50 lakh car, but are scared of the maintenance & reliability headache. I view the German breakdowns as complete failures.

Here's a related thread : Lexus in India
And you have to, have to see these videos if you already haven't... The Hard Way

extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote