Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 31st May 2012, 19:31   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Jaguar ends Lexus' 11 year reign on JD Power, UK

Jaguar ends Lexus' 11 year reign on JD Power, UK-xf__dynamic_shot.jpg

I'm no fan of JD Powers, but this is definitely stuff Tata has the right to be happy about.

Jaguar has been announced as the Number One Manufacturer in the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 UK Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study. The study was based on the evaluations of nearly 18,000 car owners in the United Kingdom, after an average of two years ownership. Every aspect of vehicle ownership was rated from performance, design and comfort to quality, reliability, cost of ownership, economy and dealer service satisfaction.

The No.1 spot was previously held by Lexus for 11 years in a row.

The Rankings:

Jaguar
Lexus
Skoda
Honda
Mercedes Benz
Toyota
Audi
Volkswagen
Volvo
BMW
Nissan

The 3 Worst Performers were Chevrolet, Vauxhall and Fiat.

When split into model line-ups, the Jaguar XF finished second overall, a rise of 15 places within 12 months. Jaguar had finished third in the 2011 survey. Jaguar also announced a ~50% sales hike.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 19:48   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Jaguar ends Lexus' 11 year reign on JD Power, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 934672

The Rankings:
I am pleasantly surprised by Skoda at number 3. That means it is a sloppy management in India. Also BMW is at the bottom of the pile. Interesting. Was it a particular model driving it down?
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 00:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 934672

When split into model line-ups, the Jaguar XF finished second overall, a rise of 15 places within 12 months. Jaguar had finished third in the 2011 survey. Jaguar also announced a ~50% sales hike.
The Jaguar XF came second after the Korean model Kia Sportage.

This study was actually conducted by What Car ? in a partnership with JD power.

What is more surprising here, if we were to keep Indian context in mind, is the fact that "so called unreliable product manufacturers" like Mercedes doing better than "robust product manufacturers" Toyota.

Last edited by no_limit : 1st June 2012 at 00:11.
no_limit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 07:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a vehicle ownership satisfaction survey, and not a reliability survey. Perhaps Jaguar owners had low expectations to start off with!

Jaguar tops JD Power survey | Car News | NEW CAR NET

Quote:
The study was based on the evaluations of nearly 18,000 individuals in the UK after an average of two years ownership. Every aspect of vehicle ownership was rated from performance, design and comfort to quality, reliability, cost of ownership, economy and dealer service satisfaction. The resulting data allowed the study to be the most comprehensive of its kind.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 07:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm no fan of JD Powers, but this is definitely stuff Tata has the right to be happy about
I respectfully disagree. Tata should pat Jaguar on the back and humbly go to them and ask them how they did it.

If they get happy (and hence, complacent) - they will not improve their sloppy performance globally. We've seen them in India for almost two decades - there's (a triple bed)room for improvement!!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 07:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

All due credit goes to Tata for this. They have proved their metal as past 2 years they have been owners and that's the survey period. Surprised that Range/Land Rover doesn't feature in the top 10 since its similar engineering as Jaguar. I guess once the new gen RR's are launched they too will climb up this list. Kudos to our national pride-Tata group!
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 08:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I am pleasantly surprised by Skoda at number 3. That means it is a sloppy management in India. Also BMW is at the bottom of the pile. Interesting. Was it a particular model driving it down?
Most Skoda garages in the UK were family owned outfits who had good relationships with the customers. As the product range developed so did they. There is always demand for a good value car. Customer is happy, dealer is happy and the relationship expands!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 09:38   #8
BHPian

The more meaningful is the long term reliability index, not the satisfaction or initial quality indices.

satisfaction has as much to do with corporate and dealer treatment of customers as much as the car itself. But the long term reliability index tells about the vehicle itself.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 09:38   #9
BHPian

Nice to see Lexus' reign over the quality charts beaten. While they may be supremely reliable, they are kinda boring. Jag has always been one of those cars which have improved design and quality over the past few years with excellent products.

Skoda at #3 is awesome. The products have always been good (except for the 2 key issues of DSG and AC compressor). The Indian *** is what lets them down.

Quote:
BMW may seem at the bottom of the pile - but that of the leaders

Surprising to see not a single French, Italian and American car
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 09:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It is good to see Jaguar really improving. They had picked up a bad reputation in the biggest market (if it still is) US.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 11:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I am pleasantly surprised by Skoda at number 3. That means it is a sloppy management in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
What is more surprising here, if we were to keep Indian context in mind, is the fact that "so called unreliable product manufacturers" like Mercedes doing better than "robust product manufacturers" Toyota.
Please take into consideration the average age of the car. Two years is simply not time enough for reliability issues to crop up.

Have a feeling that if the average age was around 5 years, the results would have been a lot different. No amount of 'bum cooling/heating' is a substitute for being stranded in the middle of the road in the dead of night.
revintup is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, another report on the same courtesy MSN UK - JD Power reliability survey 2012 - the best car brands - JD Power reliability survey 2012 - the best car brands - Feature photos - MSN Cars UK.

Unfortunately, the Suzuki & Hyundai are rated as the worst car brands as per the same report:
http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/jd-p...rst-car-brands

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st June 2012 at 16:38.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 21:53   #13
BHPian

I too am not a big fan of JD Power and knowing how Maruti and the likes handle the topic in India, I get my doubts restored. This is just a perspective that shows Jaguar on the top of the pack.

But what the heck. Being on top is being on top. Whatever the perspective. I wish similar luck for Jaguar in India too. The market is already scorched to the brim by Audi, BMW & MB. An onslaught from Jaguar coupled with the right things they did in UK (I wish) will spell boon for us, customers in India.

At the end, don't know why but after reading your post GTO I am feeling proud.
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote