Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2015, 15:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Saloon

CLA deserves a premium over A3 but these prices are just crazy. I seriously wanted the CLA 200 petrol but ain't buying it for that kind of money. Just doesn't make sense.
reignofchaos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:48   #47
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz has launched the CLA-Class sedan in India. The car is priced between Rs. 31.50 and Rs. 35.90 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Name:  V1.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  475.8 KB

Name:  V2.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  475.2 KB

Name:  V3.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  431.9 KB

Scoop: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Saloon-v4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2015 at 20:10.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 20:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A3 is the entry level Audi in India. Mercedes has the A and B class for that. CLA also feels like a more premium version and is even more desirable on the styling front. I personally feel the premium is justified. Not to mention - with the recent facelift of the C-class, they have moved it up the ladder to make space for the CLA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
CLA deserves a premium over A3 but these prices are just crazy.
The pricing on this level was expected – to be around the range of GLA.
I personally don’t feel that the CLA is superior to the A3, and hence deserves to be on a premium price range. Those stylish doors and the glitz are all good, but the interiors are not so practical and look almost similar to the likes of A and B Class. The CLA is around the same size of the previous generation C, but somehow the bigger dimensions have not translated into better interior space.

As someone who appreciates clean lines, I prefer the A3’s look and with its compact size, find it well packaged compared to the CLA. With around 6 lakhs price difference, the A3 40 TFSI looks like a bargain over the 35 lakhs CLA C200 Sport. Or for a lakh extra, I would take the GLA C200 Sport.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:37   #49
BHPian

I think Mercedes Benz is going all out to proclaim their 'three pointed star' deserves a bigger price tag than the Audi.

They have ridiculously overpriced their cars over the last year.

Case in point - the top end CLA CDI costs 36lakhs which apparently was the price they were asking for the C Class CDI Grand edition in early 2014!

On the other hand Audi tries to bring new customers to their showrooms by bringing new offers every now and then. Like for instance last year when they launched Celebration edition of the A6, it was 37.5 lakhs ex showroom!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:08   #50
BHPian

I guess Mercedes has there reasons to price the car in the upper 30s (closer to 40 on road for the higher spec car) but i don't see the logic in buying one at this price.

Audi offers some delicious discounts from time to time and you can get a loaded A6 for 41 On Road (2 segments above the CLA) and BMW offers you a 3 series in the mid 30s on road with discounts (1 segment above CLA)

I thought the whole point of the CLA was that it was going to be an affordable mercedes that would bring in a whole new customer base to the brand ! I don't understand how that is so now
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:16   #51
BHPian

Is that manual air-conditioning ?
ICE from the swift ?

(Source Indianautosblog.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Saloon-mercedescladashboardindialaunch1024x682.jpg  

Last edited by nik_kapur : 23rd January 2015 at 00:19.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:36   #52
BHPian

With all that 'bling' design, it feels like one of the German makers just went the Japanese, or even close, the Korean way. But even Korean cars do come with engine power to match the pricing of their cars.

That understated elegance of a pure German machine is wiped clean in the name of aggressive design and styling in their newly launched and upcoming models. It feels more like a glorified Hyundai with a monster price tag and a three pointed star, with the German build quality ofcourse.

Looks good and that's it (but a bit too loud and not really in a pure German class though). 3 of the very basic things when looking at a car for purchase are looks, power and pricing out of which latter 2 does not sound good in this case.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:53   #53
BHPian

Boy that is some crazy pricing by Mercedes. In their "aggression" they seem to have gotten overtly optimistic with their pricing!

First with the GLA and then now with the CLA they have really out priced it from the segment! I bet these prices should give a boost to the sales figures for the A3!

At these prices and with the current discounts on the 3 series and A4 this could really adversely affect the prospects of the CLA once the novelty value wears off! Interesting times lie ahead for the luxury car buyer!

This will also ensure that the Skodas, VWs, Hondas and Hyundais of the world can bring their executive sedans without a real worry from one of the German trio!
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As someone who appreciates clean lines, I prefer the A3’s look and with its compact size, find it well packaged compared to the CLA. With around 6 lakhs price difference, the A3 40 TFSI looks like a bargain over the 35 lakhs CLA C200 Sport. Or for a lakh extra, I would take the GLA C200 Sport.
Sadly too few appreciate 'clean lines'. This class of buyer is looking for bling and street cred. He wears a belt with a big 'H' on his paunch and his wife flaunts Louis Vuitton 'first copies' from the trip at Pattaya! :-(

The CLA is so much better to flaunt in front of his cousin who drives an XUV with sub-woofers going dhak-chik! IMHO, Merc has read the noveau riche emerging market customer better.

As for the pricing, this is skimming the cream from the market for the first 6 months. Watch the discounts rack up post June. If you absolutely want this car plan to visit your friendly neighbourhood Merc dealer on Dec 12, 2015 and watch them salivate for your money. . .

Last edited by Ferruccio : 23rd January 2015 at 07:21.
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:28   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pricing on this level was expected Ė to be around the range of GLA.
I personally donít feel that the CLA is superior to the A3, and hence deserves to be on a premium price range. Those stylish doors and the glitz are all good, but the interiors are not so practical and look almost similar to the likes of A and B Class. The CLA is around the same size of the previous generation C, but somehow the bigger dimensions have not translated into better interior space.

Have you sat in the back of an A3? There is no leg room, only headroom. The CLA has the opposite. CLA has a 65mm larger wheelbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I guess Mercedes has there reasons to price the car in the upper 30s (closer to 40 on road for the higher spec car) but i don't see the logic in buying one at this price.

I thought the whole point of the CLA was that it was going to be an affordable mercedes that would bring in a whole new customer base to the brand ! I don't understand how that is so now
Mercedes are aiming this at the lower 3 variants as opposed to the A3/ 1 series from what I understand. Bit ambitious but Mercedes claim, cas come fully loaded and they have waiting lists! The minute the latter dissolves, discounts should happen, I hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Is that manual air-conditioning ?
ICE from the swift ?

(Source Indianautosblog.com)
Yes, there is not even a rear A/C vent although the ones abroad come with this. Seemed to worked well though. Frankly, its a big miss since this is the most widely used ancillary device in a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
With all that 'bling' design, it feels like one of the German makers just went the Japanese, or even close, the Korean way. But even Korean cars do come with engine power to match the pricing of their cars.

That understated elegance of a pure German machine is wiped clean in the name of aggressive design and styling in their newly launched and upcoming models. It feels more like a glorified Hyundai with a monster price tag and a three pointed star, with the German build quality ofcourse.

Looks good and that's it (but a bit too loud and not really in a pure German class though). 3 of the very basic things when looking at a car for purchase are looks, power and pricing out of which latter 2 does not sound good in this case.
The petrol version is quite good to drive.. Looks wise, the CLA is trying to attract new buyers from the younger segments. The styling has more appeal to the Chinese / US buyer who likes the bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
B

At these prices and with the current discounts on the 3 series and A4 this could really adversely affect the prospects of the CLA once the novelty value wears off! Interesting times lie ahead for the luxury car buyer!

This will also ensure that the Skodas, VWs, Hondas and Hyundais of the world can bring their executive sedans without a real worry from one of the German trio!
In this segment, everything is about brand. All the MFA cars are currently CBU hence high prices, also the GLA and CLA have waiting lists. i hope prices come down when local production starts
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Have you sat in the back of an A3? There is no leg room, only headroom. The CLA has the opposite. CLA has a 65mm larger wheelbase.
Yes, have sat in the rear seat of both A3 and CLA. I felt, both are not very comfortable in this aspect. A3 loses out on legroom, and the CLA on headroom. Both cars I tried were with black interiors. Even with the better legroom, the CLA felt more closed-in because of the high window-line and the huge front seats. Front seats similar to the GLA would have made it slightly better.
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, have sat in the rear seat of both A3 and CLA. I felt, both are not very comfortable in this aspect. A3 loses out on legroom, and the CLA on headroom. Both cars I tried were with black interiors. Even with the better legroom, the CLA felt more closed-in because of the high window-line and the huge front seats. Front seats similar to the GLA would have made it slightly better.
Simply put, CLA is not a back seat car. Its meant for two people and probably two children. If you want to put four full size adults, look elsewhere. It wasn't really designed for a country like india where normally a more expensive car equates to more space. This is absolutely not true for the CLA.

As for A3, personally I detest the ethics of VAG group in India. I'd not touch a VAG car in India with a barge pole.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd January 2015 at 09:12.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:31   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, the rear of both cars is claustrophobic. As Reignof chaos states - these are personal driver driven cars with space for the occasional passenger
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:32   #59
BHPian

Let's not forget, the CLA has been launched as a CBU. Hence, the 30+ pricing. And yes Mercedes is charging a premium for whatever reasons.

I've driven the A & GLA extensively, yes the GLA has no climate control and the diesel churns out a mere 134 bhp. You lose out on the head room but leg room is decent. But we all know these cars have a very different target audience.

Personally I love the exterior as well as the interior of the A & CLA. These models stand apart from everything else on road. No offence to anyone, but the A3 exterior is not worthy of any praises - Vento styling turned up to 9?!

The CLA in its petrol avatar is a good match for the A3. And it comes fully loaded as well - panoramic sunroof, 12 speaker Harman Kardon system, navigation system etc etc

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice. It boils down to what do you want from the car and how much are you ready to pay/splurge on it!
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:45   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Simply put, CLA is not a back seat car. Its meant for two people and probably two children. If you want to put four full size adults, look elsewhere. It wasn't really designed for a country like india where normally a more expensive car equates to more space. This is absolutely not true for the CLA.

As for A3, personally I detest the ethics of VAG group in India. I'd not touch a VAG car in India with a barge pole.
Simply put, I did not say anything about designed for India, or about CLA not offering acres of backseat space. The comments made are purely in comparison with the A3, and the difference in price. Its a good looking car, but probably a bit too fluidic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yes, the rear of both cars is claustrophobic. As Reignof chaos states - these are personal driver driven cars with space for the occasional passenger
True, and I am sure this will sell in big numbers due to the sedan form factor. Should be a win-win situation for Mercedes. This even can have a positive impact on the much cheaper A-Class. It looks incredibly VFM now

Last edited by vb-san : 23rd January 2015 at 10:53. Reason: quote added
Closed Thread