Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2015, 15:40   #61
BHPian

When the compact luxury sedan segment opened up, expectations were sky high! I remember myself drooling over pics and videos of Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA concepts when they first came out. The idea was nothing short of brilliant- open up an affordable luxury segment that can rope in a new set of customers (hopefully me too). Oh boy! Was I in for a surprise!! As the concepts slowly moved forward towards production models, manufacturers raised the prices of their bigger siblings even further so that these 'supposedly affordable' luxury cars could fill those shoes. Inflation and taxation didn't help much either. Now they can stylize them with frameless doors, diamond grille etc, but the customer is clearly being made to overpay. A CLA for the price of a yester year C!? No thanks! Did they create a new segment? Clearly they didn't! They just substituted a less accomplished car in the same segment, at least in my eyes. Of course, India is not new to being subjected to such strategies(Hello Toyota!). Buyers shopping in these segments buy out of want rather than need, and the bottomline is they will have to shell out that extra gold( what choice do they have?!)

On a related note, this approach by the German trio suddenly makes the S60 come to the limelight as a much better value proposition. Someone wake up those slumbering Volvo big-shots to take notice!
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:18   #62
BHPian

Default re: Scoop: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The petrol version is quite good to drive..
Agreed it's good to drive. But for that price, I would want more than just quite good. Like how its looks scream aggression, let 'em tune up the motor too to be equally aggressive in performance and then we have something to drool about as a car and not just a show piece to flaunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Looks wise, the CLA is trying to attract new buyers from the younger segments.
I doubt if the younger buyers would remain attracted when cars from segments below or those which cost fraction of its cost easily keep up or zoom past it. That must be frustrating after shelling out that kinda money.

When Merc ups the pricing, an unbiased customer (who isn't just a Merc die hard fan) would expect looks as well as performance to go up. To even think about if the pricing is fair, there should be impressively tuned engines on offer. I fail to understand the strategy with the steep pricing when the material for it is missing. All that bling factor and flaunting theories don't convince because we are talking about a car, not a bag or belt. It needs performance to match the pricing too.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 23rd January 2015 at 21:24.
Old 25th January 2015, 10:34   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Scoop: Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
When the compact luxury sedan segment opened up, expectations were sky high! I remember myself drooling over pics and videos of Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA concepts when they first came out. The idea was nothing short of brilliant- open up an affordable luxury segment that can rope in a new set of customers (hopefully me too).
+100. If you scroll back for posts from a year back or 2 at the most, everyone was talking about an affordable luxury German car at the price of around 20-25L. But clearly the prices are going up like crazy. I feel surprised that I bought my 320d for the same price of a CLA just a year back. At the same time my friend had picked up a C for the similar amount.

Going by this trend, I would really love to see a corporate edition of the 3 to be launched which can take on these compact sedans at there price point. Might once again give the BMW there lost market share.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 11:25   #64
BHPian

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Mercedes CLA-Class Review has been taken live at this link (Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Going by this trend, I would really love to see a corporate edition of the 3 to be launched which can take on these compact sedans at there price point. Might once again give the BMW there lost market share.
Indeed, this is the perfect time for BMW to bring in a corporate edition 3-er. Are you listening BMW?? The proposed FWD 1 series sedan hasn't even reached concept form. And I don't suppose it's going to see production for another 2 years or so. That means BMW will have to watch Audi and Merc run away with the sales chart. On a related note, if BMW were to bring in the 2 series RWD in a gran coupe format without downtuning the engine, that would be the perfect competitor to the CLA and Audi. Ahh! Dreams are so perfect

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2015 at 18:52. Reason: Linking to review :)
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread