Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2013, 09:31   #136
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 MQB Skoda Octavia

Skoda has lined up 6 new launches for 2013 (2+0+1+3 = 6):

Quote:
Skoda France has teased on their official Facebook page that there will be 6 car launches this year. The first image is of a Rapid that we all know about. The next launch due for March is the Skoda Octavia or as we know it, the Laura which shall be launched by March 2013. June will see the launch of Combi variant of the Octavia which we believe would be a Europe exclusive variant.

Now letís talk about the launches the company has planned for August, October and December. We believe the Skoda Superb facelift, a mild refresh to the Skoda Fabia and a facelift of the Skoda Yeti crossover are the ones that will happen in the last 6 months. The Superb and Fabia will receive the last refreshes before the next generation models of the cars are launched in the next 2 years. Skoda Yeti will be the last launch from the Czech carmaker to end the year with a bang.
Name:  SkodaUpcomingCars2013.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  43.7 KB

Source: http://motorbash.com/skodas-teases-i...cars-for-2013/
Old 11th January 2013, 13:34   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a first detailed look of the car in action under the natural daylight.
Speculated as a global car with a keen eye to seal a spot in the list of top 10 best selling cars in the world

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th January 2013 at 13:37.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 15:15   #138
BHPian

Guys,

The reviews for the new Octavia have started pouring in now that the UK prices have been announced. The prices have been hiked considerably but there is a lot more kit for the money.

The reviews are generally very positive. In fact, the perception of SKoda being a budget brand and a manufacturers of cheap cars is well and truly over with this car, even in Europe!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/o...-skoda-octavia

I've decided to wait for this one till it reaches our shores.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:33   #139
BHPian

Skoda may replace the Laura with the European Rapid, they can offer this with the smaller output/displacement engines making sure that the Jetta remains the upmarket choice.

The new Octavia(Laura replacement) has everything to match and exceed the current Jetta if European trim levels are anything to go by. This wont fit well with VW's "Skoda is lower than us" approach.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:15   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Skoda may replace the Laura with the European Rapid, they can offer this with the smaller output/displacement engines making sure that the Jetta remains the upmarket choice.

The new Octavia(Laura replacement) has everything to match and exceed the current Jetta if European trim levels are anything to go by. This wont fit well with VW's "Skoda is lower than us" approach.
I agree, but Skoda has already declared that it will be replacing the 'Laura' brand. If they place the Euro Rapid as 'Octavia', the new car goes a segment below the current positioning.

It fits the bill, but Skoda has no plans to bring the Euro Rapid here. So, VW will keep on getting frustrated then I guess. Moreover, even in Europe the new Octavia, although costlier than the current gen, is still cheaper than the Jetta; Justified or not!

Please bring this car in and place it below the Jetta (which I am sure they will) in the name of 'SKoda ia lower than us' branding. I'm loving it
Old 17th January 2013, 17:25   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

The reviews are generally very positive. In fact, the perception of SKoda being a budget brand and a manufacturers of cheap cars is well and truly over with this car, even in Europe!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/o...-skoda-octavia
No 1.8 TSi in the new Octavia???
That's real bad news.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:40   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
No 1.8 TSi in the new Octavia???
That's real bad news.
Weren't you expecting this? I mean, when the new Jetta came with 1.4 TSI engine, there was only a slim chance the new Octavia will come with the 1.8TSI in the stock form. I think we will still get the 1.8TSI in vRS form, but that's some time away.

Maybe its the best time for the power junkies to buy Laura 1.8TSI before the stock (and discounts)run out
Old 17th January 2013, 17:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I was fearing this.
This is ridiculous. The non vRS trims offer a no nonsense option - why should I pay for the useless sunroof if all I want is to drive the 1.8 TSi?

So my TSi Laura is now even more precious...
Old 19th January 2013, 16:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Technical Data of the Octavia 3

technical_data_new_octavia_petrol_en.pdf
technical_data_new_octavia_diesel_en.pdf

Fuel Tank capacity seems to have shrunk to 50L from 55L. Rest everything is looking better. However 139mm ground clearance will definitely be raised for India.

USB, Aux-In, 2xSD Card slots seems to have been added. Spare wheel seems full sized. Complete Gallery here - http://octavia3.cz/recenze/
English Translation here - http://translate.google.com/translat...nze%2F&act=url

Last edited by dkaile : 19th January 2013 at 16:19.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 17:23   #145
BHPian

Skoda Octavia UK Pricing:

Quote:
starting at £15,990 for petrol-engined models, rising to £18,040 for the diesels.

The base engine for the UK market will be the 105 hp 1.2-liter TSI unit, which can average 57.7 mpg, and emit just 114 g/km of CO2. Opt for the larger 1.4-liter unit, with 138 hp, and efficiency is only slightly affected, as it returns 53.3 mpg on the combined cycle - emissions rise to 121 g/km.

The base diesel engine, the familiar VW 1.6-liter TDI unit, has 105 hp at its disposal, and returns 74.3 mpg, emitting just under 100 g/km of CO2. The larger diesel, also a very familiar unit, the 2.0-liter TDI, with 148 hp returns a very impressive 68.2 mpg and emits just 106 g/km of CO2.
Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/al...-uk-54005.html
Old 21st January 2013, 18:26   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
The only thing it really tells us is that the India price will go up

However, I don't get much of it. The Laura Ambition TDI starts at 14.55 lacs compared to Jetta Trendline TDI 15.03 lacs ex Ggn today. Where is the scope to raise the prices? VW has given clear instructions to Skoda to price its cars lower than the VW cars. So, how does this happen?

The only way I can see is if Skoda deliberately 'cheapify' its car to accommodate VW as a premium offering. While this happened with Rapid/Vento, I don't this happening with Octavia since Octavia will be a CKD product.

Basically, I am confused and waiting for some sort of announcement from Skoda or some smart guy to get an inside info for me
Old 21st January 2013, 18:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Abhi,

In any case, there is not going to be 1.8 TSi, so what are you waiting for???
Old 21st January 2013, 19:18   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
However, I don't get much of it. The Laura Ambition TDI starts at 14.55 lacs compared to Jetta Trendline TDI 15.03 lacs ex Ggn today. Where is the scope to raise the prices? VW has given clear instructions to Skoda to price its cars lower than the VW cars. So, how does this happen?
Probably by the time Octavia comes in VW would have gradually increased price of the Jetta to give space to the former

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile
The only way I can see is if Skoda deliberately 'cheapify' its car to accommodate VW as a premium offering. While this happened with Rapid/Vento, I don't this happening with Octavia since Octavia will be a CKD product.
Actually I donít see the Rapid as an inferior product compared to the Vento. Anyway I feel both Octavia and Jetta have its own merits and individuality to co-exist.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:59   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Abhi,

In any case, there is not going to be 1.8 TSi, so what are you waiting for???
Coz I am not looking for one. I already have a couple of petrol cars in my garage and do not want to be stuck will an all petrol garage. So, I am looking for the TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Probably by the time Octavia comes in VW would have gradually increased price of the Jetta to give space to the former

Actually I don’t see the Rapid as an inferior product compared to the Vento. Anyway I feel both Octavia and Jetta have its own merits and individuality to co-exist.
In the case of Rapid, although the car is mechanically same as a Vento, the interior colours, deletion of basic features etc point out to a deliberate attempt from Skoda to keep the product 'less desirable' than the Vento (whether they have succeeded in doing that or not is a different ball game together)

And as far as Jetta is concerned, I also fear that the prices would have been raised to higher levels by the time Octavia comes in. So, if I were to give you a proposition when there is not much to choose in therms of price advantage (which increasingly looks like the case), then which would you choose? I want you to pick the superior product. I know we haven't seen the new Octavia in India, yet I want you to take your best guess.

The question is: Whether I should go for the Jetta now or wait for the new Octavia? (all on the basis of whether I think that the Skoda will be decidedly superior product or not)

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd January 2013 at 13:01.
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:01   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Actually I donít see the Rapid as an inferior product compared to the Vento. Anyway I feel both Octavia and Jetta have its own merits and individuality to co-exist.
It doesn't have the under body protection plates which is there in all Skoda Cars save for this.

I haven't really checked it, but few say, it doesn't feel as solid as a Skoda should.

I am really waiting for the Octavia. And its vRS iteration.
Closed Thread