Old 27th January 2013, 09:26   #151
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 MQB Skoda Octavia

Here's another review of the Czech.

speed kills is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 13:30   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI speculates the Octavia to be launched in India mid 2013!

The new Octavia is expected to hit Indian shores by the middle of this year. Though the car has a much larger footprint, prices are expected to be even more competitive than they are now (the Laura currently starts at Rs 12.9 lakh for the 1.8 TSI). The EA888 1.8 TSI engine will be upgraded and will now make around 175bhp in India. There will also be a new automatic version that is sure to attract a whole new set of customers. The base petrol, however, will be a 140bhp version of the 1.4 TSI, the engine seen on the VW Jetta, and is likely to be even more affordable. As earlier, there will also be two diesel versions. Both will use the same 2.0-litre TDI engine, but power outputs could be upped to 120 and 150bhp, respectively.

Other engine options for the future include a 105bhp 1.6 diesel and possibly a 200-plus-bhp petrol vRS version, which could hit a top speed of 250kph. A diesel vRS is also likely to make it to Indian shores later.

Cheers!

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/330...is-year.aspx/0
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 14:42   #153
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what it is, but there's something about the design of this new Octavia that keeps reminding me of the Audi A4 (B7). Especially the side profile.

That said, the design looks simple. Clean.
Old 28th January 2013, 18:13   #154
BHPian

I cannot wait for this car- definitely going to go for the 1.8Tsi once again, this time with more goodies and more horses... Yummy! The fact that they have made it more spacious, more powerful, better looking, and more comfortable is a clear sign that Skoda is on its game and is continuously reinventing the 'vfm' concept here in India. Anything sub-20L for this car is on the ball. Hurry up Skoda!
Old 28th January 2013, 18:26   #155
BHPian

Post Re: 2013 MQB Skoda Octavia

A diesel vRS was definitely a missed opportunity last time around. Good to know Skoda has that on its radar this time. An oil-burner will positively be an added fillip to the sales of the 2013 Octavia's sports trim.
Old 28th January 2013, 19:34   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ACI speculates the Octavia to be launched in India mid 2013!
I guess its pretty much what you mentioned - just speculate based on the international engine options. I believe they'll be pretty conservative with the options for India, more to ensure that the new Octavia does not jeopardize the big sister Jetta.
Old 29th January 2013, 12:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess its pretty much what you mentioned - just speculate based on the international engine options. I believe they'll be pretty conservative with the options for India, more to ensure that the new Octavia does not jeopardize the big sister Jetta.
Yup. Agreed.
I think there may be just the two options for petrol and diesel. 1.4TSI (140 bhp tune?If so, it'll go into the Jetta as well. If not, we'll get the same 122 bhp tune as JettaTSI) and the 2.0TDI (Manual may have two states of tune 120 and 150) Interestingly, if they offer the TDI with auto box in the base version, as they currently do, that will almost certainly be the 150 bhp+DSG combo. That is the one I am really keen on.

I've decided the steps for my impending purchase:

1. Wait for the Octavia to launch.
2. Check for the Octavia variants, especially if the base version comes with the auto box.
3. Check for the offer on the Jetta CL then
4. Pick the best option (including all factors)

PS: I personally think that the Octavia, version to version, may cost a little more than Jetta There will be no offer on Octavia, while there will almost certainly be still discounts running on the Jetta then. To put things in perspective, I've been offered the Jetta CL 2013@1.5 lakhs off by a dealer. There is no way the Octavia will be more than 1.5 lakhs cheaper than the Jetta, which makes the Jetta more VFM.

Having said that, Skoda can offset that by offering more features than the current offerings (which they almost certainly will). I, for one, think that the Jetta CL should be the base variant, looking at the feature list. It's so spartan. To offer the Jetta TL in the current form is sacrilege! An insult to the segment.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 29th January 2013 at 12:28.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 08:05   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yup. Agreed.
I think there may be just the two options for petrol and diesel. 1.4TSI (140 bhp tune?If so, it'll go into the Jetta as well. If not, we'll get the same 122 bhp tune as JettaTSI) and the 2.0TDI (Manual may have two states of tune 120 and 150) Interestingly, if they offer the TDI with auto box in the base version, as they currently do, that will almost certainly be the 150 bhp+DSG combo. That is the one I am really keen on.
The 1.4 TSI with 140ps is what is now getting into the new models from VAG (e.g.; MK7 Golf). Not sure if they will completely do away with the 122 bhp version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile
I personally think that the Octavia, version to version, may cost a little more than Jetta. There will be no offer on Octavia, while there will almost certainly be still discounts running on the Jetta then. To put things in perspective, I've been offered the Jetta CL 2013 @1.5 lakhs off by a dealer. There is no way the Octavia will be more than 1.5 lakhs cheaper than the Jetta, which makes the Jetta more VFM.
Quite doubtful. The newer model need not be always expensive than the outgoing one. Maybe the new platform is more robust that they can keep the pricing in the same range as now. Infact Laura’s ex-showroom price have been on a steady rise in the past one year or so (which gives them enough cushion for the new model).
For Jetta, this is my prediction – by the time of Octavia launch, a mild update may come in (probably some add-ons like ACC, leather seats etc.)
Old 30th January 2013, 10:58   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav View Post
I cannot wait for this car- definitely going to go for the 1.8Tsi once again, this time with more goodies and more horses... Yummy! The fact that they have made it more spacious, more powerful, better looking, and more comfortable is a clear sign that Skoda is on its game and is continuously reinventing the 'vfm' concept here in India. Anything sub-20L for this car is on the ball. Hurry up Skoda!
THe 1.8 TSI is not yet launched in the new Octavia in Europe. Current options include the 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI. So it remains to be seen whether we will get the new Octavia with the 1.8 TSI in India so soon. In keeping with VW's philosophy of positioning equivalent Skoda cars below cars that carry the VW badge, I don't expect to see the 1.8 TSI continuing in the Laura/ Octavia after the launch of the new Octavia.

The European vRS is expected later on with a 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI, both in higher states of tune than the current vRS. Hopefully we can get these in India too.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:04   #160
Senior - BHPian

^
I suspect they might just launch the 1.8 in the vRS guise only and charge a premium for it and the 1.4 as the base TSI.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:07   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THe 1.8 TSI is not yet launched in the new Octavia in Europe. Current options include the 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI. So it remains to be seen whether we will get the new Octavia with the 1.8 TSI in India so soon. In keeping with VW's philosophy of positioning equivalent Skoda cars below cars that carry the VW badge, I don't expect to see the 1.8 TSI continuing in the Laura/ Octavia after the launch of the new Octavia.

The European vRS is expected later on with a 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI, both in higher states of tune than the current vRS. Hopefully we can get these in India too.
Thats quite disheartening but not entirely surprising- petrol sales in India have been dwindling, and i recall a car salesman from BMW telling me that their diesel-petrol ratio was 90:10 at best, so if Skoda does decide to go for lower displacement petrols it might make business sense for them from a pricing standpoint. I dont see the 1.4Tsi being very desireable after owning the 1.8, so might be forced to make the switch to diesel (shudder)... Either way, cant wait for the car to launch here and give the Accords and Camrys a real run for their money!
Old 30th January 2013, 12:12   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats quite disheartening but not entirely surprising- petrol sales in India have been dwindling, and i recall a car salesman from BMW telling me that their diesel-petrol ratio was 90:10 at best, so if Skoda does decide to go for lower displacement petrols it might make business sense for them from a pricing standpoint. I dont see the 1.4Tsi being very desireable after owning the 1.8, so might be forced to make the switch to diesel (shudder)... Either way, cant wait for the car to launch here and give the Accords and Camrys a real run for their money!
Yes it is disheartening. The 1.8 TSI is such a gem of an engine. The refinement, performance (and efficiency too) is just phenomenal. Forget diesels, after owning my 1.8 TSI Laura for the past two years, I feel every other petrol engine is unrefined and rough.

The 1.4 TSI will be a non mover in India if they do launch it. Take the case of the Jetta 1.4 TSI. I am sure the diesel petrol ratio for the Jetta will be worse than the Laura's. The few people that buy the Laura 1.8 TSi, do it for its performance edge compared to the diesel model notwithstanding higher running costs. With the 1.4 TSi Jetta, you are getting a car that is not just costlier to run than the 2.0 TDI, but is also less powerful. Only a buyer who loves the Jetta, but hates diesel engines would look to buy it IMO.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th January 2013 at 12:20.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:53   #163
BHPian

Quote:
...... and i recall a car salesman from BMW telling me that their diesel-petrol ratio was 90:10 at best..
That's a shame! Atleast 25L for a car, 1000 km a month (I don't think any BMW owner has a single car in her garage), yet worry about mileage! We are like this only

Quote:
....I dont see the 1.4Tsi being very desireable after owning the 1.8, so might be forced to make the switch to diesel (shudder)...
I thought the 1.8Tsi currently offered is only Turbocharged, but the 1.4Tsi is supercharged too. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th January 2013, 17:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
That's a shame! Atleast 25L for a car, 1000 km a month (I don't think any BMW owner has a single car in her garage), yet worry about mileage! We are like this only

I thought the 1.8Tsi currently offered is only Turbocharged, but the 1.4Tsi is supercharged too. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, and thus technicall, the 1.4TSI is more high tech than the 1.8TSI. But the sates of tune we are talking about, 1.4TSI 122ps, has only turbocharging.

The 160PS one is supercharged. And that version has won the engine of the year a couple fo times
Old 31st January 2013, 11:31   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yes, and thus technicall, the 1.4TSI is more high tech than the 1.8TSI. But the sates of tune we are talking about, 1.4TSI 122ps, has only turbocharging.

The 160PS one is supercharged. And that version has won the engine of the year a couple fo times
So which one are we getting in India then? Any idea? The 1.4 in the current Jetta is the one i thought we would get, but would be pleasantly surprised if was mistaken!
Closed Thread