Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 3rd November 2012, 20:56   #1
BHPian

Arrow Drastic Fiat restructuring. To focus on small cars. Lancia brand killed

Sergio Marchionne announced a drastic reorganization of Fiat. In a recently conducted teleconference, Marchionne announced the end of Lancia among a wide-ranging change of the company’s brand and model strategy.

According to reports:
  • Lancia will be terminated.
  • Alfa Romeo and Maserati will target the premium segment.
  • Fiat will focus on the Fiat 500 and the Panda. In a strategy similar to BMW’s Mini, a number of derivatives will be built. Fiat turns into a small car brand.
  • Jeep will broaden its product portfolio and its global reach.

Quote:
I think we also need to be honest with ourselves about the fact that Lancia as a brand that has got very limited preview. We have toyed with Lancia for a number of years; I think we need to recognize that the only viable car that Lancia has been able to produce now historically certainly on my watch has been the Lancia Ypsilon that’s the one that’s economically viable. And I think we need to recognize that fact to move it on.
Sources:

1. Fiat CEO's Full Teleconference Speech (Its very long): http://seekingalpha.com/article/9632...pt?part=single

2. TTAC: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-kills-lancia/

3. Autoevolution: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/la...unt-51351.html

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 3rd November 2012 at 21:02.
sarthakgupta is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 02:21   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Drastic FIAT Reorganization. To become a small car manufacturer. Lancia brand Kil

Long overdue from an economic perspective but very sad day. Lancia have produced some beautiful cars in their day.

As a small car manufacturer they are up against the Japanese and koreans now, and eventually the Chinese and Indians. Will they survive is a difficult question. Other than Europe, and more specifically Italy, where they are doing well, they seem to be struggling as a brand to sell.

Their biggest selling point in India now is their engines. Am hoping they don't become a component manufacturer with a sideline in the odd car. They make beautiful handlers and fairly decent quality cars to go that way
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 02:24   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Drastic FIAT Reorganization. To become a small car manufacturer. Lancia brand Kil

Sad to hear about Lancia. I wasn't aware of this brand until i watched the Lancia Special on Topgear. After watching the Stratos' history, what i felt was "Respect" .Period

But, wait. Here is what i found now :
An update :http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-fi...pe-286589.html
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 13:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

RIP Lancia.
Anyway, the cars were re-engineered Fiat cars (note - I don't mean rebranded). Lancia was anyway on its way out, as they were sold as Chryslers in UK and Ireland.

The memory of Lancia Delta in 'Letters to Juliet' and 'Angels and Demons' will remain in me forever.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 00:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's sad to hear that Lancia is being scrapped. It's sad after their glorious past. Maybe they could bring back those rally cars. If you see the whole fiat group, you find almost all doing good, except parent company, and that because of their own deeds. They are not earning much over engine sales too, they just get some royalty from GM.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 23:22   #6
nbr
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Drastic Fiat restructuring. To focus on small cars. Lancia brand killed

Rumours are Fiat is planning to sell Ferrari as well!!! to pitch in for Chrysler since its growing drastically in order get more cash flows . I personally will stop being a fan of Fiat if they sell ferrari
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 01:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Drastic Fiat restructuring. To focus on small cars. Lancia brand killed

Couldn't they just do a platformwise branding

small cars - FIAT
All-wheel-drive brand being Lancia for markets that need them.
Rearwheel drive coupe and roadsters being Alfa against entry level Germans.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Drastic Fiat restructuring. To focus on small cars. Lancia brand killed

2014 Lancia Update [End of Lancia Announced]:

In a recent interview with Italian publication La Repubblica, Marchionne revealed he will be pulling the plug, in a move that’s sure to prove controversial but also justified. "Lancia will become a brand only for the Italian market,” Marchionne says.

Quote:
We really are sad to report the beginning of the end of Lancia......

The Italy-only lineup will likely only include the Ypsilon. This supermini is actually a brand new car launched in early 2012, but which due to its high prices that rival an Audi A1’s never managed to sell outside of Italy, where it’s incentivized. The car we’ll actually miss is the Delta, an amazing vehicle in 2008 when it was launched and the only car in its class at the time to boast a twin-turbo diesel engine. An update for the 2014 model year was announced at least, so the Delta might survive through 2015.

Beyond that, not even the Ypsilon is safe, as we find it unlikely that they’ll develop another generation. Further up the totem, Fiat is cutting their losses and will immediately stop making the rebadged Chrysler models.....
Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/fi...oot-74580.html

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 13th January 2014 at 11:57.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 16:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

I wish they would have killed off Lancia before making it suffer the indignation of rebadging Chryslers.
khanak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote