Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th January 2013, 20:16   #1
Default 15000 cars damaged by Sandy parked in Airport near N.Y.

Around 15,000 cars damaged by Hurricane Sandy have been parked on the runways of Calverton Executive Airpark in Riverhead, New York by Insurance Auto Auctions. Around 230,000 vehicles were damaged or destroyed by Sandy, according to insurance industry estimates. Thousands of them have been stored in vacant lots until insurance claims are processed.

Some of the cars shown in these images will join thousands of others that will filter their way back into the used car market in some form or another. New York law dictates that complete vehicles must have their titles stamped as "flood" to alert buyers, but it's not uncommon for that to not happen, whether born of intent to deceive or simple neglect.
Full article: HERE and HERE.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: 15000 cars damaged by Sandy parked in Airport near N.Y.

I'm sure the actual number is much higher.

Quite a few insurance policies here in the US don't cover damage due to natural calamities like earthquakes, floods etc.

I think regulation here should be stronger w.r.t. flood-affected cars in the 2nd hand car market.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote