Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 23rd January 2013, 14:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?

Recently photos of the new Lexus IS have been doing rounds on the internet.

The IS is to Lexus what the 3-series is to BMW - at least theoretically. A compact, executive saloon with sport-oriented ambitions.

The current generation of the IS has met with mixed success. While no doubt, a very competent car it just hasn't been able to pull at those all important heart strings. It has been a silent player and posed no real threat to the German Trinity.

MotorTrend posted this video yesterday:

The video gives insight into where Lexus want to take their brand. Interestingly the Chief Engineer of the new IS openly acknowledges the fact that the rivals *are* better. Not something many would do.

Quantifying 'Fun To Drive' is something I've never thought of. It makes sense. But at the same time disassociates the emotional aspect of making a car 'Fun To Drive'. Right?

Anyhow, I've always been a bit of a Lexus fanboy and the new IS looks, well, amazing! Definitely can not wait to have my hand with one.

Here are some photos from MotorTrend:

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusis350fsportfrontthreequarter.jpg

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusis350fsportrearthreequarters.jpg

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusis350fsportrearthreequarter.jpg

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusis350fsportrearthreequarters2.jpg

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusiscockpit.jpg

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-2014lexusis350fsportinstrumentcluster.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2013 at 16:04. Reason: Fixing youtube link. Simply cut-copy-paste the youtube url (without the "s" in https)
anekho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?

Toyota seems to have lost the plot with the Lixs. IMHO the last good looking lexus was the twin eyed GS300- its all been downhill from there. this one looks like it was designed by a chinese design studio. the interiors though are pretty nice and seem heavily inspired by the BMW 6 series.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:45   #3
BHPian

Is it me or is the design too korean !! Its like a Hyundai and Toyota lovechild.
The interior is a stunner, fantastic stuff.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

The car's design especially in white does not work for me. The design is a bit too edgy for my taste.

It does appear to look nicer in black though.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:00   #5
BHPian

Whoa! Breathtaking looks!

Any idea if, this would make inroads into the Indian market? Will sell like hot cakes if, launched here as it really looks menacing and ready to take on the competition, head on!!

Hopefully, the performance also has something in store as, the exteriors do !
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Post Re: 2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?

Uh-huh not liking it from the outside guys!

For one, the rear styling seems generously borrowed from the 6-series out of the Bavarian capital. For another, the sharp edges makes this Lexus appear as if Toyota is trying too hard on a design computer. Doesn't look its usually effortless self - as we've come to be used to from the Lexus stable.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Lexus appear to have hit on a somewhat provocative design!

The view of the rear three-quarter does it for me. The way those taillights swoop down into a flared edge on rear fender... very nice. Oh and the steering wheel looks brilliant. Fairly thick, somewhat flat-bottomed and perforated leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hopefully, the performance also has something in store as, the exteriors do !
The IS pictured here is the 350, which is rumoured to have a ~306HP, 3.0L V6. Personally I'd have been happier if it came with an inline 6 though!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

The front looked good, also the interiors. Typical modern Lexus styling.
But the rear just blew me away. Know it's nothing radical, still it's just so un-Lexusy... the way the rear lights dip into the rear fender......
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:03   #9
MHG
BHPian

I desperately needed some inspiration when I decided to browse team-bhp a bit and came across THIS. Seriously now, the Japs are amazing. The way they think - who else would've decided to face the challenge in as simple a way as possible - by attempting to quantify a feeling ?
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:12   #10
BHPian

A Good looking car. Should be like a breath of fresh air what with everyone having to settle for same 3-series,A4 or C-class.
The design looks fresh,edgy,energetic also a bit Korean though not in a obvious way.If Lexus prices it well, then it could be a runaway hit.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 00:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

It does looks fresh, but it would have been more interesting if Lexus decided to take things above the waistline as well. Those funky elements visually clash with the rather conventional glasshouse and profile of the car.

Last edited by AyAn! : 24th January 2013 at 00:58.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 08:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed the new family face of Lexus. Though it looked decent on the GS, on the smaller IS the grille looks a bit garish (almost like a glitzy aftermarket add-on).

Since car brands are increasingly getting global, the Korean design cues are not surprising. We are already seeing some of the European and Japanese designs getting fluidic, and some of the Korean brands (e.g.; KIA) going in the minimalistic European way.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 10:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Too sharp and edgy for a Lexus. I can imagine a Toyota Corolla or a Camry with these design cues in the future but not a Lexus. Lexus for one is associated to sophistication, which unfortunately there isn't any here! Also, the interiors are too high-tech. The speedometer for instance. Actual dials instead of the digital speedometer would look much better in a Lexus just like in a Rolls or a Bentley. Minimalistic approach would more suit this upscale brand!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 20:27   #14
BHPian

Kind of overdone designing IMHO. Earlier Lexuses used to have a charm and elegance which i cant find here.

Interiors are neat with some faint period touches in between. But the front is too flashy for a Lexus. It's mean but not in a neat way. Side profile looks chinese which is bad, and the rear bumper fails to meet rest of the car in a respectable manner along with the obvious BMW cues.

We can surely agree with its bulletproof reliability but they could have designed it the true Lexus way.
SandyX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 05:47   #15
BHPian

The car actually looks pretty good in person! Here are some live shots that I took-non-F sport model.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-14-lexus-2.jpg  

2014 Lexus IS - Game Changer?-14-lexus-.jpg  

Bimster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote