Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 18th February 2013, 21:55   #1
Default BMW X2, yet another segment leader in the making?

BMW is set to create yet another segment on its own with the futuristic X2.
The new product from the Bavarian firm are set to plug gap that exist between the traditional Bimmers.

Here is a set of renderings found on the net, the last two are published by IAB, created by AutoBild.de.

Name:  X2.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  bmwx2renderingfront.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  bmwx2renderingside.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  54.4 KB

If you fantasize the BMW X6 for its out of the box styling but could not afford one, then the X2 is the car to watch out for.

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/r...-mans-x6-63997

Last edited by sarathlal : 18th February 2013 at 22:03.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 22:17   #2
Default re: BMW X2, yet another segment leader in the making?

What is going on with these Luxury Brands? This way no exclusivity will be associated with these marques. From Hatchbacks to SUVs in every size possible they are all going to pay one day for becoming way too accessible.
nik_kapur is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 09:36   #3

Well, didnt quite like the looks. If I may have the liberty, then this would best be described as quirky ( barring the side profile). The front looks way too snooty.

Seems like all brands are looking more at generating the moolah even if, they lose their exclusivity factor. Why not price the cars less instead?

Unfortunately, inspite of being a Bimmer fan, they won't find me supporting this move and this new model

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 19th February 2013 at 09:37.
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
Default re: BMW X2, yet another segment leader in the making?

These are just renderings and the actual production design will be different from these pictures. I see the X2 selling purely for it's butch looks if they stick to the X6 design cues. Also, the market can't be more ready for compact SUV's - this ought to be a good seller for BMW!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 18:42   #5
Default Re: BMW X2, yet another segment leader in the making?

Woah! Is that a BMW in the first picture or an ugly, angry toad on wheels? Second picture resembles an unwanted child that X1 and 3-er produced and last picture looks like a fusion of 3-er and X6. What is this going on? Why no universal appeal like F10 5-Series? These concepts are love-it or hate-it type and I really hate them, with the possible exception of the last picture. Well, they are only renderings as of now and I seriously wish production models to be different than these.

Keep revvin'

Last edited by S@ndy : 19th February 2013 at 18:44. Reason: Adding info
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 08:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

BMW top officials have given the go-ahead to a new sporting crossover to be sold under the X2 name. Will rival RR's Evoque.

The X2 will become the seventh SUV in BMW’s line-up, joining the models listed above and the all-new X7, which will sit above the X5 as the brand’s biggest-ever SUV to rival the likes of the Mercedes-Benz GL (soon to be GLS) and the Range Rover.

BMW X2, yet another segment leader in the making?-bmwx2news.jpg

Set to be positioned between the upcoming second-generation X1 and the current X3, the new five-door liftback is set to go on sale in the UK during the second half of 2017.

The first road-going prototypes of the new BMW are set to hit the road within weeks, according to engineers at the firm’s prototype The X2 has been conceived around BMW’s UKL platform structure, which it shares with the new X1 and other recent new BMW models, including the 2 Series Active Tourer and 2 Series Gran Tourer.

As with the second-generation X1, BMW’s new Range Rover Evoque rival is planned to be sold exclusively with transverse three-cylinder and four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, along with the choice of either front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive.

The engines will include both three and four-cylinder units. They will include a powered-up version of BMW’s new B48 engine, which made its debut in the 2 Series ActiveTourer, in a planned M Performance variant of the X2 scheduled for launch in 2018.

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th May 2015 at 08:14.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

As ugly as this car looks, I think if BMW wants the 2 series range to succeed in India then this quirky SUV and the grand tourer are their best bets. Indian's love their SUV's and 7 seater's.

They can position the 2 series sedan between the 1 series hatch & 3 series but I feel it will be better to launch the above two cars instead of the sedan. For the space:cost ratio that will be on offer from the 2 series sedan, it may well turn out to be a dud in the market specially with the new Superb & Passat around the corner. Plus, the SUV & Grand Tourer can also command a much higher price then the sedan.

Honestly, I feel they should withdraw the X1 from India and chuck any plans for the 1 series sedan.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote