Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th March 2013, 06:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post

Hehe very true - or probably people would start importing them from India illegally, just the way Indians bring the Lexus, and Hummers here.

But, glad that we don't have to pay 33L for a machine like Xuv 500 here in India, and we can easily afford a BMW X1, 320, Audi A4, Merc C class or any other premium car at that price
There will come a time when the taxes will catch up even in India. This kind of chaos on the roads has to be mitigated if not avoided altogether.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 15:59   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV5OO launched in Nepal at 33 Lakhs!

My work takes me to Nepal every quarter. Some thing that I have noticed about Nepal post my frequent visits.

Although cars cost a Bomb in Nepal, Kathmandu city has a lot of them. There can be worse traffic jams in Kathmandu than in India. It is usually said that the people in Nepal have save less & spend more. Therefore, spending 33 lacs on a XUV isn't something that they will think about twice.

Surprisingly, once you step out of Kathmandu, You will be noticing very less cars on road. I once traveled 60 kms on a highway without encountering single car.

About Roads, most roads in Nepal (Highways) are built in collaboration with other nations. The quality of roads often depend on the Nation with which the collaboration was done. I have been on a perfectly plane road made by the Japanese Government & a some bumpy one by our own Government.

Just my two cents.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 14:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post

But, glad that we don't have to pay 33L for a machine like Xuv 500 here in India, and we can easily afford a BMW X1, 320, Audi A4, Merc C class or any other premium car at that price
Isn't that a relative term @ affordability.
The Germans or Americans must be saying the same thing about prices of cars in India vis-a-vis their prices.
riteshritesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:18   #19
BHPian

IMHO: Singapore has an entitlement system (Certificate of Entitlement) wherein an individual looking to buy a vehicle actually has to procure a certificate to buy the car first. I think its valid for 10 years and then you have to re-apply. Being the sensible folks they are (and I'm not being sarcastic), the number of certificates issued is calculated as per a specific formula which takes into account factors such as No of cars de-registered, allowances for increase in car population among other factors.

Of course this is based on a bidding system, where you have to bid higher amounts for higher category cars (A Cruze/ Civic) for example would be three times pricier than in India. I never bothered to find out about exotics such as Lambos or even the Merc/ Audi/ BMW marques cost I guess it would be too expensive to even consider.

Pluses: It keeps the roads free of traffic (I've gotten from MBFC to the Airport in 25 mins in the peak of office traffic), lessens pollution and ensures that newer cars remain on the streets. Also, most folks tend to use the excellent MRT and their 2 legs to get to where ever they want.

Minuses: Not good for Bhpians since quite a few of us (Me mainly) would be unable to even buy a basic car.

I particularly like the comment on the Nepal Govt banning the import of old cars with their attendant pollution issues. Really makes me think there is a case for regulating this in India as well. Consider the aspirational needs and allow one car per family without entitlement. Once you go beyond that, buy an entitlement certificate (even a moderate pricing would help) rather than spend lakhs of cash on a fancy VIP numberplate. And I'm the revenues would be enough to offset road maintenance issues, parking and pollution issues for a long time to come.
premjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post

I particularly like the comment on the Nepal Govt banning the import of old cars with their attendant pollution issues. Really makes me think there is a case for regulating this in India as well. Consider the aspirational needs and allow one car per family without entitlement. Once you go beyond that, buy an entitlement certificate (even a moderate pricing would help) rather than spend lakhs of cash on a fancy VIP numberplate. And I'm the revenues would be enough to offset road maintenance issues, parking and pollution issues for a long time to come.
Indian Regulation do not allow cars that are older than 5 years or LHD to be imported,since many years now. High Taxation in India is to promote the India Auto Industry.
The Government should Ban all financial institution from providing loans for cars. This will surely curb the purchasing power of people thus reducing the cars on road. However this can be done only after providing a sureshot and fullproof Public transport system, which is insufficient even in Metros like Mumbai.
riteshritesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Indian Regulation do not allow cars that are older than 5 years or LHD to be imported,since many years now. High Taxation in India is to promote the India Auto Industry.
The Government should Ban all financial institution from providing loans for cars. This will surely curb the purchasing power of people thus reducing the cars on road. However this can be done only after providing a sureshot and fullproof Public transport system, which is insufficient even in Metros like Mumbai.
Correction: I didnt mean the banning of used vehicles at all. Rather the fact that new vehicle registration for cars manufactured within in India should be based on an entitlement post the first car. Hope that clarifies.
premjit is offline   Reply With Quote