Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th April 2013, 09:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Virtually new, untouched McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock for sale!

Translated the original page. It says the car was stored in an air-conditioned storage unit for 17 years and is still unregistered.

I don't know how someone could've owned this car and not driven it for more than a decade and also makes me wonder how many such eccentric people might be out there!
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Virtually new, untouched McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock for sale!

If you're gonna buy a car just to look at - at least choose a better colour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
It is gold. Selected for its ability to conduct heat.
Actually it was used for its ability to reflect heat. (In other words, keep the heat from getting to the carbon body panels and into the driver's cabin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
0 miles? The car changes position in the above pictures. What did they do? PUSH IT?

Good catch. But yeah, they probably pushed it.

As for he health of the car, I'm sure it was started up every so often. Just not driven on its own power.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
But yeah, they probably pushed it.

cya
R
Whats with properly running hypercars being pushed around these days?

Same applies here? Will it keep the clock at zero?

Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Whats with properly running hypercars being pushed around these days?
Two reasons I can think of:

1) In certain countries, you require special permissions to drive (or even start) vehicles indoors. Eg. if you go to a US car show, its unlikely you'll see anyone revv up a car. In a Dubai car show it might be commonplace. I don't know the exact restrictions, and whether they are placed by the government or the expo center - but there's definitely some issue here. Maybe something similar with the use of "motor-vehicle on sidewalks" for the P1 video?

2) Its probably a lot easier to push a car around in confined spaces than have someone use 700+ horsepower to move a few feet per minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Will it keep the clock at zero?
Good question!

On cars with mechanical Odometers, this would turn the clock. On newer cars, it probably wont turn the clock if the car is off, and *might* not turn the clock if the car is on but the engine isn't running? Thats my guess.

Maybe the car is advertised as "driven 0 kms" too?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th April 2013 at 14:06.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:16   #20
BHPian

Really extraordinary. Reminds me of old hindi films where the guy spends a long time in prison and then he is released. He walks out of the gate and is confused at the world around him.
Imagine keeping this beauty locked up in a room, owner must be a crazy 'filthy rich' guy! Hope the new owner burns some rubber on this.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:36   #21
Team-BHP Support

Since there's a lot of Mclaren F1 fans reading this, take a look at THIS THREAD.

Another Mclaren F1 owner talks about his cars. 2 Mclaren F1s and 1 Mclaren F1 LM

I guess he too has one that doesn't see the road.

I last read it back in 2003, but I'm sure its just as good today!

A few excerpts:

Quote:
007 is my "driver", 068 has never been on the road. I'm not sure which one i'd sell (it'd be tough to break 068's cherry if I sold 007), it'd be tough to sell 068. ... I bought the LM because it was available and I wanted it, thinking it might be the only opportunity I would ever have to own an original LM.
Quote:
Even though there are numerous cars coming out that appear to close the gap, rest assured that a thorough comparison would only confirm the F1's place at the top.
Quote:
On more than one occaission I've had to stop to let people out (grown men) who couldn't handle it.
Quote:
The car is so powerful and well balanced you can go through all six gears without touching the accelerator.
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th April 2013 at 15:46.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 17:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Since there's a lot of Mclaren F1 fans reading this, take a look at THIS THREAD.

Another Mclaren F1 owner talks about his cars. 2 Mclaren F1s and 1 Mclaren F1 LM

I guess he too has one that doesn't see the road.

I last read it back in 2003, but I'm sure its just as good today!

cya
R
Oh how I remember this thread! This was one of the most captivating threads to follow back in the day, not only for McLaren F1 nuts like myself, but for any automobile lover.
aniguchisan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

This case represents all that's wrong with the supercar world! What a complete waste of one of the all-time greats! I guess as an investment it did ok, though. And as a piece of art, but still...

As an aside, I recall reading (a very long time ago!) that these cars were actually pretty skittish above a certain speed and that cars like the F50, although slower, we're actually more confidence inspiring when driven hard and fast.

Edit: unless this guy, too, owned more than one of these babies, it would have driven (or is that not driven?!) me nuts owning one of these and never once using it!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 22nd April 2013 at 11:40.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:50   #24
BHPian

Hi Aniguchisan,

Happy 2001st post!

Guys, one would have to appreciate the canny business brain of the original buyer. 17 years of keeping a Car or anything else for that matter, in mild cold storage with periodic maintenance has assured him/her of a whopping retirement fund. What other ordinary investment would have multiplied to this level?

This is one of the rarest of rarest times when I am seeing a Car being sold by its first owner for hugely more than he paid for it.

Hats off to the persons foresight.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
As an aside, I recall reading (a very long time ago!) that these cars were actually pretty skittish above a certain speed and that cars like the F50, although slower, we're actually more confidence inspiring when driven hard and fast.

Edit: unless this guy, too, owned more than one of these babies, it would have driven (or is that not driven?!) me nuts owning one of these and never once using it!
Heard about the skittish behaviour for several hypercars, but haven't come across the same with a McLaren F1 as such.

And yes, totally agree - I am sure he had several others toys to keep him busy (including more than one other McLaren F1!) as someone on worldcarfans.com mentioned. Oh the luck some people have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hi Aniguchisan,

Happy 2001st post!

Guys, one would have to appreciate the canny business brain of the original buyer. 17 years of keeping a Car or anything else for that matter, in mild cold storage with periodic maintenance has assured him/her of a whopping retirement fund. What other ordinary investment would have multiplied to this level?
Thanks for the congratulatory message!

In terms of an investment, this car, like most ultra rare hypercars (and those that hold an iconic status) tend to be some of the wisest purchases ultra wealthy investors/enthusiasts can look into.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow.. for a second there, I thought this was the one from Hyde Park.
But seriously, this is so wrong.Like May said, I salute owners who buy supercars and take them out so us lesser beings can revel in their presence (the cars, that is).
Or something to that effect.

He should sell it to Rowan Atkinson, who's using it so much, he's having accidents, and also loaning it to Clarkson. That would be useful.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:08   #27
BHPian

That is the greatest super car ever built and it wasn't driven. Unless the owner had more than one f1, he really just wasted his time (though possibly earned money). That is one gem of a car and really deserves to be driven, and hard. Why oh why can't I afford something like that.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote