Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th April 2013, 01:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cool Virtually new, untouched McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock for sale!

What better way for me to mark my 2000th post on this community than by starting a thread about my all-time favourite automobile? In a very unique case, a 1996 McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock is up for sale in Japan! According to sources, it has been kept well maintained over the last 17 years (time flies!) and is quite likely to be the only such example of a McLaren F1 (in any of its iterations) to sport zero miles.

Another McLaren F1 was sold last year in the UK for 5.5M USD. This unused example will probably fetch a higher premium than its predecessor, possibly in the 6-7M USD range! After all, the new owner will be receiving a piece of historical art which is untainted and virtually untouched. Truly remarkable.

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11304155...es-up-for-sale

Feast your eyes on some photos below:
Attached Images

aniguchisan is online now   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 07:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Virtually new, untouched McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock for sale!

Holly! Zero miles? Is it really zero miles or very very limited mileage.

The shell looks very good. But how can a car not driven at all for the last 17 years be in excellent condition mechanically? That BMW engine would have got bored to death. Poor car!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Virtually new, untouched McLaren F1 with zero miles on the clock for sale!

In the pic with engine bay hood open, what is that golden colored stuff? Is it some kind of coating or some golden colored foil ? Any idea what's it for ?
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
In the pic with engine bay hood open, what is that golden colored stuff? Is it some kind of coating or some golden colored foil ? Any idea what's it for ?
It is gold. Selected for its ability to conduct heat.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
That's a gold foil. They use small amounts of gold as heat shields to cool the engine compartment.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:13   #6
BHPian

0 miles? The car changes position in the above pictures. What did they do? PUSH IT? Who buys this car as a show-piece item? Borrowing a line from FRIENDS, "If you don't ride it, you are killing the soul of the car. The car is dying."
nair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:44   #7
BHPian

How is it possible to have 0 miles?. The vehicle would have had to be picked up from the assembly line loaded onto a truck and then stored somewhere since then. My god this is so rare o.O. If the 0miles is not untrue I would estimate nearly $10m.
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on 2000 posts I guess : ).
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 15:04   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is one McLaren owner I don't envy. In fact, I pity him! Feel bad for the car too. She's built to high-revv; instead, the only thing she saw were the 4 walls of home.

Who would want to own such an awesome machine, but not drive it? Guess we have all kinds on the planet.

On the flip side, will sure make for a happy secondhand car buyer who (hopefully) redlines it

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2013 at 15:05.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the owner bought it and kept it this way as an investment.

And I somehow don't buy the 0 miles thing. As mentioned correctly above, how is the car shot in different poses. Did they push it load it onto something every time. Or is the speedo disconnected. Was oil or fuel ever filled into the vehicle. Was it changed ever. Is the car still on 17 year old rubber. I am bored now.....
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from the messages in the WorldCarFans page:

"I'm friends with the owner of the shop that took care of this McLaren. It is from Gifu, near Hyogo. Every two years, it was brought in on a flatbed truck, and had its fluids flushed, and lines cleaned. Any rubber that cracked within the engine bay was taken care of with factory McLaren replacement parts. Whoever is buying this is buying a time capsule, and a well maintained one at that. The owner kept this in very good company, including a 480 mile F40, an Enzo, an F50, and a Diablo GT."

"i have visited the garage and if i remember it correct, the owner used to have two or three mclaren f1s."

If all that is true, then the owner does love to redline but buys standby cars too for as investment/showpieces !!!
shuvc is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 15:36   #11
BHPian

So can a car that has been in storage for 17 years run with fuel and just a new battery,i don't think so?
What about the washers and seals/O-rings inside the engine/gearbox etc won't they become brittle because of no usage.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 19:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
So can a car that has been in storage for 17 years run with fuel and just a new battery,i don't think so?
What about the washers and seals/O-rings inside the engine/gearbox etc won't they become brittle because of no usage.
+1 Fluids and rubber parts aren't the only consumables in a car. Would it be road-safe having not being driven at all for this long?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 22:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

This car makes for quite a good investment!

I'm sure 1) someone would buy this car at an insane price.. 2) whoever does, wouldn't be thinking rationally.

People buy ancient vehicles left to rot and restore them.. why wouldn't someone buy this beauty.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 00:33   #14
BHPian

What a fantastic asset!
Same time feel pity on the machine, she didnt get justice in past 17 years, hope it wont be the same faith in coming days too!

on lighter part: wondering what all are the aerodynamics engineers around the world do much in past 17 years, majorly the design mantra remains same.
sujithpnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 18:06   #15
BHPian

It was nice to see the pics and read about a 'new' oldie. Its just Amazing that the owner takes such good care of an extremely expensive road-rocket.

The person who buys this beauty will be the luckiest fellow for sure!

PS: the headlights of the car seems to be saying 'I am a little bored, please give take me out for a spin'
rajoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote