Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 9th July 2013, 18:51   #16
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Polar SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming

Looks like Skoda's version of 'Taigun' which is an entry level SUV by VW. They should have brought this to India instead of trying hands on 'Cross Polo' or 'Fabia Scout'. If any of the version of the Taigun/Polar makes its way into India, it would be far greater offering compared to likes of Duster or Eosport.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 20:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Impressive design however looks more like a overgrown hatchback!!
IMO it will be placed between Rapid and Yeti which means it would start above Rapid i.e. 7L to be specific??

Interesting! Will have to wait and see choice of engines which would decide the 'entry' price point.

God bless the competition
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 20:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Skoda is working on a new crossover SUV called POLAR & will be based on the Volkswagen Taigun Concept.

The Polar will be underpinned by the VW MQB Platform and will be positioned right under the Yeti

Will be available in both front-wheel and all-wheel drive variants.
Looks sleek and elegant. And the name is quite related to the Yeti
Considering VAG’s track record lending distinct characteristics to sister products from the same platform (Passat/Superb, Octavia/Jetta, Yeti/Tiguan, Up/Citigo etc.), I assume they will manage to give certain identity to the little Polar, rather than just a rebadging exercise.

I am a bit doubtful if they will go with MQB platform for the Polar/Taigun. There were rumours earlier that a small crossover is planned using the VW Up’s platform NSF – New Small Family platform. Anyways, the small crossover space is surely getting heated up!

Last edited by vb-san : 9th July 2013 at 21:03.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 21:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
There were rumours earlier that a small crossover is planned using the VW Ups platform NSF New Small Family platform. Anyways, the small crossover space is surely getting heated up!
Apparently the "UP" based SUV/Crossover you are talking about is Taigun itself

http://blog.autoshopper.com/articles...all-Crossover/
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 21:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

So 2015 is going to be a pretty exciting year with almost everyone trying to launch something that looks global

Does this mean 2014 auto expo will give us a glimpse of all these ?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 16:42   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Polar SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming

Quote:

Skoda is working on a ........
Is it just me, or could it really pass of as a next gen Fabia on rather mammoth wheels (what size are they anyway, 18"!!?). Take of the wheels, me thinks it compares easily with the current Fabia in size.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 16:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, in that case the Duster is just a Dacia Sandero with larger wheels and more ground clearance & the Ecosport is a Ford Fusion on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Is it just me, or could it really pass of as a next gen Fabia on rather mammoth wheels (what size are they anyway, 18"!!?). Take of the wheels, me thinks it compares easily with the current Fabia in size.
But

Thats how funny the Baby SUV or Crossover concept is shaping up to be like.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 19:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
& the Ecosport is a Ford Fusion on steroids. .
Actually the EcoSport is the new gen Fiesta on stilts...more or less.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 10:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Well, in that case the Duster is just a Dacia Sandero with larger wheels and more ground clearance & the Ecosport is a Ford Fusion on steroids.
Duster is actually a large bodied vehicle, while I agree, the Ecosport is no bigger than a Fabia in dimensions.

I own a Fabia, and space wise I don't think I'll ever need anything larger. I do wish it offered a higher GC, and a better engine, either frugal or powerful (the current engine is neither!). Their attempt to hoodwink us with a Scout version as a baby SUV was a big flop. The Polar, if it comes with a higher GC and good engine, seems to be a proper fix. But I really doubt if it will be a success, if it were to be priced just below the Yeti. It should be selling at the current price of the Scout to make any sense.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 10:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I own a Fabia, and space wise I don't think I'll ever need anything larger. I do wish it offered a higher GC, and a better engine, either frugal or powerful (the current engine is neither!). Their attempt to hoodwink us with a Scout version as a baby SUV was a big flop. The Polar, if it comes with a higher GC and good engine, seems to be a proper fix. But I really doubt if it will be a success, if it were to be priced just below the Yeti. It should be selling at the current price of the Scout to make any sense.
If any of these guys makes it to Indian shores, I am very positive they would price it in 15-10L segment. I would also love to see the Terrano built like the X-trail and good interiors.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 14:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Autocar drives the almost-production-ready Taigun concept:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 16:27   #27
BHPian

Ford has done us a big favor by bringing in the EcoSport. Now other companies are looking to bring a similar product in their portfolio.

How I wish Fiat would bring the Panda 4x4. Then it would really be fun

However, I like the look of the Skoda Polar.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 09:06   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

How I wish Fiat would bring the Panda 4x4. Then it would really be fun
Maruti should have got in the SX4 cross (Fiat Sedici). It looks so obvious. Of course I speak as an outsider. May be if they had got in earlier, it would have gone the way Fusion went. But nothing stops them from getting it now.

More importantly in today's scenario, I dont see a comfortable compact SUV in the market. Even in the foreseeable future.
Sub-4m SUVs, are a different segment. For an argument, if one is looking at C-segment SUVs say in the range 14-18L OTR, what are options? Products like Polar/Taigun is what is desirable across the segment, but also which can be a work horse.

A 1.5/1.6L Diesel SUV which can seat 5 in comfort and yet be frugual enough. Other than VW/Skoda, I dont see others looking at it.
Ford has its hands full on Ecosport which is quite small. Maruti's XA-1 concept is again sub-4m. We need to see what Hyundai brings to the table. But frankly I dont see any action in this segment. In the 14-17L range today either we have the 2.2L XUV or at the higher end of the spectrum the Rexton. But again all these guys are big and bulky. Where are the five seaters with frugal engines (<2 L displacement) ?

I was hoping against hope that Terrano would be be built with X-trail/Qashquai like build quality (heavier). And for that a premium can be paid. But today, it only looks only twin brother to Duster. Sheet metal changes only amount to shapes and not the thickness of the metal.

Bottom line : If some one wants to upgrade from a Duster to some thing better, there are hardly any options. Of course I assume one would not like to go from a Duster to a X1/Q3 like market segment.

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2013 at 09:29.
Old 15th July 2013, 12:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bottom line : If some one wants to upgrade from a Duster to some thing better, there are hardly any options. Of course I assume one would not like to go from a Duster to a X1/Q3 like market segment.
Knowing the indian market, the most logical upgrade will be something 'bigger'. This is what 90% people still think, and this sentiment drives the auto companies while launching products here. The lacklusture sales of Yeti being a case in point, it must have driven the finall nail in the coffin wrt compact SUV's at a 15L price point. Else it is a perfect upgrade from Duster if you think about it.

Also, I fail to understand how the Polar is a competitor to Duster(Let alone EcoSport) at the price point being mentioned(12-16L) ? The price is simply twice the EcoSport, and only the very base version might overlap with the Duster.
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 12:12   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Also, I fail to understand how the Polar is a competitor to Duster(Let alone EcoSport) at the price point being mentioned(12-16L) ? The price is simply twice the EcoSport, and only the very base version might overlap with the Duster.
Its a competitor to Duster because of similar engine specs (1.5/1.6L) and size (I presume this. Do correct me if I am wrong).

But knowing VW/Skoda, my take is they would price it in the 15-20L segment. However they would also provide a quality of build which should be many levels higher than Duster. And to that extent, it can be an upgrade to Duster.

I did not compare Ecosport to this segment at all because of it being <4M.