Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th January 2014, 10:26   #166
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview

The S350 diesel has been delayed and will go on sale in June this year according to Autocar. Also the overwhelming demand has prompted Mercedes-Benz India to locally assemble the S500 at its plant in Chakan instead of importing it as Completely Built Up (CBU) unit as per the original plan.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-370613.aspx
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 12:16   #167
Senior - BHPian

a work around for MBC is needed! indian roads are ideal for MBC.
Maybe the government needs to make a exception on this.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 11:32   #168
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd. has commenced the local assembly of the company's flagship sedan, the S-Class at its facility in Chakan, near Pune. The range-topping S 500 will be the first S-Class to roll out of the plant.

Mercedes-Benz launched the S 500 in India in January 2014 at a price of Rs. 1.57 crore (ex-showroom, Delhi). The company claims that the demand for the car has been strong, prompting it to start assembling it locally just two months after the launch. The car now costs Rs. 1.36 crore (ex-showroom, Mumbai). Mercedes-Benz India is now accepting bookings for the S 500 for cars that will be delivered in June 2014.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-1-1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 13th March 2014 at 11:41.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 23:36   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The new S Class made its official TV Debut as in "The Blacklist" , it is the notorious Red's ride
Just watched this episode! Caught up pretty late I know but WTH!

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-vlcsnap2014022123h00m57s97.png

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-vlcsnap2014022123h01m40s18.png

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-vlcsnap2014022123h02m42s123.png

The blue ambient lighting behind the scenes looks pretty cool!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 22:16   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand new W222 S350 BlueTec catches fire;

Name:  20147261211274743950.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  383398672249453151.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  42.4 KB

- Car was only 2 weeks old
- Declared a total loss

Source
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 07:26   #171
Senior - BHPian

Ii was at service for my Infiniti M35 last weekend - the dealership has Merc, BMW, Cadillac, Porsche, Infiniti and Honda under one roof - the Merc sales man tells me that they are sold out of their allocation of the new S class for the next 2 years! I thought that was pretty impressive.

On the fire issue, is it a one off incident? Lots of brands are having fire related problems - is it a modern day design trend that is making this happen more often?
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 18:59   #172
BHPian

So the extra-long-wheelbase version is finally spied:

Source (pics and news): http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-m...w-side-window/

While I wouldn't go entirely by the article, we've known for a year now that the Maybach would be replaced only by an S600 Pullman version of the W222 S

Since the new Pullman was rumoured to be offered in 6-seater configuration (2+2+2 seating), it should be much longer than a regular S-Class. But this X-LWB version has two individual rear seats with no room for another row of seats. Hence this is most likely a the Maybach replacement or else the Pullman branding will have 2 versions (ala the Maybach 57 and 62).

From the article - this extreme long-wheelbased S-Class is about 20cm longer than the standard model with all that increase in space for rear passengers.

For those looking for a more authentic source, check: Autobild.de

For more on the Pullman:
Quote:
The Mercedes-Benz S-Class Pullman has been spied for the first time and it seems it was an armored variant.

The vehicle was spotted by a BILD reader in front of Brabus' factory in Bottrop, Germany and apparently it was the V12-powered S600 version. It will allegedly be 6.4 meters (252 inches) long and the armored version seen here will tip the scales at 5,300 kg (11,684 lbs). It will be able to withstand continuous fire, hand grenades and explosions thanks to its armored steel body panels as well as the other changes normally found in such a niche vehicle.

The armored Mercedes-Benz S-Class Pullman will probably have a 2+2+2 seating layout and will reportedly carry a starting price of 920,000 EUR (about 1.27M USD / 757,300 GBP). It should come out sometime in 2015 taking into account the extra-long wheelbase Maybach is expected in November at the Los Angeles Auto Show with a wheelbase stretched by 20cm compared to the current long-wheelbase S-Class.
Source: WorldCarFans
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-2014extralongmercedessclassblack.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-2014extralongmercedessclasssilver.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-2014extralongmercedessclassrear.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-2014extralongmercedessclassrearseats.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-2014extralongmercedessclasscaptainseats-rear.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-12031151821539144364.jpg  

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-17508024501990851010.jpg  

Last edited by Activ8 : 21st April 2014 at 19:22. Reason: Added info for Pullman
Activ8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 19:02   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
On the fire issue, is it a one off incident? Lots of brands are having fire related problems - is it a modern day design trend that is making this happen more often?
This is an industry-wide issue and has been for decades. While there are many causes to overheating in the engine bay, the increase in electrical content means the cars have that much more susceptibility to ignite.
Activ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 20:51   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
This is an industry-wide issue and has been for decades. While there are many causes to overheating in the engine bay, the increase in electrical content means the cars have that much more susceptibility to ignite.
No, I don't think the problem is in the as you called "electrical content".

I explained that here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3412766 (2014 Mercedes S-Class catches fire, Totaled!)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 04:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
No, I don't think the problem is in the as you called "electrical content".

I explained that here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3412766 (2014 Mercedes S-Class catches fire, Totaled!)

Jeroen
I don't think you read my post (above) properly. Or else you didn't understand what I said.

As an automotive engineer, I'm the last one to blindly apportion blame to just one cause (when there are several proven ones in the history of automotive fires), and especially when such a common issue hasn't been solved through decades of vehicle development.

See causes: http://www.waltersforensic.com/artic...n/vol3-no1.htm

What I did say, is that the increasing electrical content has increased the susceptibility (meaning: likelihood of or, liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing) of vehicles to damage by fire - and this is because of batteries, length of electrical wiring harnesses, etc. which all need barely one spark to get going. So the 'problem' by which you mean 'cause' isn't electrical content, but 'susceptibility' by which I mean 'future prevalence', probably is.

I should know - I worked with the engineers that developed the Tata Nano, and I can tell you that we worked very hard to get that car right, so we were devastated with the negative publicity that the handful of fires got us, while similar fires that have affected the 458 Italia on launch as well as every car company - Toyota, Ford, GM, Honda, Aston Martin, Daimler, VW, etc. don't get a mention in the media for the simple reason that this is a very regular (albeit unwanted and unsafe) occurrence for the entire industry. And before you say we didn't do our due diligence, let me tell you that the engine was developed with Bosch and Germans are very particular about testing and validation before market launch.
Activ8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:45   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
And before you say we didn't do our due diligence, let me tell you that the engine was developed with Bosch and Germans are very particular about testing and validation before market launch.
As per the article in the link you provided:

Quote:
Fuel system leaks are the most common causes of automobile fires. Electrical system failures are the second most common cause of vehicle fires.
A stray spark from this current (high) is sufficient to ignite vapours from a fuel leak.
Not sure what the difference really is between the first and second cause. It appears the ignition source. But in both cases it's fuel that is the combustable and as most of us know that fuel should be in tanks and fuel lines, not just spraying around or leaking.

I'd be interested to hear how do you design, manufacturer and test more fire proof wiring harnesses? Other then the obvious of fire resistant
materials and mechanical measure to prevent chaffing/damage etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 23:37   #177
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car up close at the valet area of one of the hotels in Bangalore. Maybe I had high expectations and was expecting to be overwhelmed as the car made entry into the hotel. The car doesn't have much presence. It hides its size very well, which might be a good thing in the west, but not sure in India. The new C looks exactly like S, a similar trait of A8/7-series that I am not a fan of. Overall it lacks the unmistakable "big-daddy Mercedes" feel of an S-class. I have not seen the interiors though.

Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-w221w222.jpg

Image source: mbworld.org

Last edited by androdev : 26th May 2014 at 00:06.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:15   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

The new S63 AMG takes on the mighty Cayenne Turbo.

deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 20:43   #179
BHPian

Arrow Mercedes S-Class Pullman

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Pullman To Be World's Most Expensive Sedan.

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz is all set to bring in the S-Class Pullman (likely to be called S-Class Maybach) that will cost the double of the top-of-the-line Rolls-Royce with a price of $1 million and will be the most expensive sedan when it goes on sale next year.

The Mercedes S-Class Pullman will have three rows and will come with armour plating. The four seats will be divided by a partition window to guarantee discretion to the ultra-wealthy passengers seated at the back.

The Pullman went through a series of designs revisions and tests in Germany’s Black Forest, South Africa, Sweden and the US to find the right balance between comfort and handling. Mercedes states the company set out to build the best car in the world with the Pullman, which will replace the now defunct Maybach brand in Daimler’s portfolio. The Pullman was cleared by the head of Daimler, only after the 12th test drive, once the company was convinced that the flagship sedan was miles ahead than the competition.

At 21-feet in length, the Mercedes S-Class Pullman will be about 16-inches longer than the Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase version, making it the biggest series-produced passenger car. The company is all set to unveil it at the Los Angeles, US and Guangzhou, China motor shows in November this year
Source:: Motorbeam
KING DYSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 06:52   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is autocar review of the S500 Plug-in Hybrid.

The impressive bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCar
On a feathered throttle in optimal weather conditions, it is claimed to be able to travel up to 20 miles before its battery is depleted and the petrol engine is fired up.

Its hi-tech driveline operates with Swiss watch-like precision and whisper quiet properties in all modes. The transition between pure electric running and the engagement of the petrol engine as it switches into hybrid state is virtually imperceptible.

At one point during our first drive of the S500 Plug-in Hybrid its digital instrument display indicated the battery charge had dipped to just 25 per cent, suggesting its electric range was limited to around five miles. But when I placed it into Charge mode, the energy store was replenished to 85 per cent within 25 minutes, giving it almost 18 miles of electric range.

A neat feature is the so-called Haptic Accelerator. It operates in combination with the stereo camera mounted within the windscreen, providing an impulse within the throttle to signal you are too close to the car ahead and can recuperate energy by lifting off – at which the S-class automatically switches into a freewheeling state with the petrol engine and electric motor disengaged from the gearbox.
And here is the nice new commercial.

deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote