Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2013, 21:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Datsun Go+ Compact MPV unveiled in Indonesia

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Datsun GO+ Review has been taken live at this link (Datsun GO+ : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the review thread. Thanks!

An interesting fact about the Indonesian car buying populace is that they gravitate towards MPVs, just as Indians make a beeline for small cars. In fact, the demand for MPVs in Indonesia is such that global car makers such as Honda and Toyota specifically develop MPVs to target the Indonesian car market. Why, even Suzuki has entered the Indonesian car market with the Ertiga MPV, and Mazda with the badge engineered version of the Ertiga, dubbed the VX-1.

Name:  2014 Datsun Go Compact MPV 1.jpg
Views: 5888
Size:  148.2 KB

Japanese car maker Nissan's low cost brand Datsun is the latest car maker to hop onto the MPV bandwagon in the Indonesian market. Nissan has unveiled the Datsun Go+ in Indonesia, ahead of the 2013 Indonesian International Motor Show to be held at Jakarta. The Datsun Go+ sub-4 meter compact MPV is based on the same platform as the Go hatchback, which was unveiled in India just a couple of months ago.

The sub-4 meter length of the Datsun Go+ does seem to have the Indian car market in mind given the excise sops that the government here doles out to compact cars measuring under 4 meters in lengths and with specific engine capacities. The Indian connection is further reaffirmed by the Datsun Go+ MPV's petrol engine, which borrows the 1.2 liter-3 cylinder motor from the likes of the Go and Micra hatchbacks.

Name:  2014 Datsun Go Compact MPV 2.jpg
Views: 11331
Size:  189.9 KB

The HR12DE motor has been around on the Nissan Micra and the Renault Pulse for quite a while now, and the 3 pot motor has acquitted itself well in Indian conditions. While a diesel engine hasn't yet been announced for the Datsun Go+, the 1.5 liter K9K turbo diesel unit, which is a straight fit into the Micra's engine bay, could eventually make its way into the MPV if and when Nissan decides to offer the Go+ with diesel power for the Indian car market.

Frugal engineering is the cornerstone around which the Datsun low cost brand revolves. Not for nothing has the low cost brand dug into the parts bin of the Nissan Micra while engineering the Datsun Go hatchback. A similar story pans out in case of the Go+ what with the MPV foraging into the parts bin of the Go hatchback. From the styling to the dashboard and interiors, the Go+ MPV shares a multitude of parts with its hatchback sibling, and comes across as a stretched version of the Go.

Name:  2014 Datsun Go Compact MPV 4.jpg
Views: 20082
Size:  159.6 KB

The headlamps, tail lamps and even the hatch lid of the Go+ MPV have been borrowed from the Datsun Go hatchback and the parts sharing stretches to the engine and 5 speed transmission as well. Nissan has managed to extend the body of Go+ MPV, while retaining the 2,450 mm wheelbase of the Go hatchback. The stretching has resulted in the Go+ MPV measuring 3,995 mm in length, just shy of the 4 meter mark. The MPV's width and height, at 1,635 mm and 1,485 mm respectively, mirror that of the Go hatchback.

The additional length has given Datsun enough space to squeeze in an additional bench seat, to take the total seating capacity to 7. From the looks of it, 8 adults are likely to be squeezed into many a Go+ MPV given the bench-like seat up front. Since the Go+ is a low cost product, safety aids such as ABS and airbags are not likely to make it to the MPV's higher variants. As the Go+ is a stretched version of the Go hatchback, a station wagon moniker would do it greater justice than the MPV tag it currently comes with.

Name:  2014 Datsun Go Compact MPV 3.jpg
Views: 6111
Size:  149.6 KB

The starting price of the Go+ MPV is expected to be close to the 4.5 lakh rupee mark given the extensive platform and parts sharing with the Go hatchback, which itself is expected to sport a sub 3.5 lakh rupees price tag. We've seen the Chevrolet Enjoy MPV, a low cost product with Chinese origins, managing to debut with a 5.5 lakh rupee price tag in India, despite its length measuring over 4 meters and it being rear wheel driven. In that light, the Datsun Go+ could easily become the least priced MPV in India.

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2015 at 12:52. Reason: Link to review
JayPrashanth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 22:09   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Datsun Go+ Compact MPV unveiled in Indonesia

While these moves by Nissan appear to indicate that the company is looking at increasing their foothold in India seriously, increasing service presence (i.e. more no. of service centres) across the country is the urgent need of the hour.

From what I've gathered from folks considering the new Micra and Micra AT, the sparse service network is a huge cause for concern among potential buyers.

Note sure how folks will perceive the supposedly lost cost Datsun offerings as the kind of crowd they are planning to attract likes to play it safe with the likes of Maruti and their extensive service network.

Last edited by sydras : 17th September 2013 at 22:10.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is an ugly duckling. I seriously hope, this is not launched in India. The chances are, Datsun Go is going no where; this is not what we want.
Old 17th September 2013, 23:42   #4
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

My first thought on seeing this was that it looked like a photoshop job on the Datsun Go!

While managing to fit in 7 forward-facing seats (even if they are just 5+2) within a length of 4m with the engine located in a separate bay (and not under the front seats) is a commendable job indeed, Nissan and Datsun are just stretching things (pun intended ) a bit far with this!

The Datsun Go looks decent and proportionate. The Go+ doesn't. The rear three-quarters look is just not good, IMHO. They should have redesigned the rear, instead of simply using the Go's hatch and tail lamps.

This car just cries out for bigger wheels, tyres and more ground clearance, along with roof rails, if it wants to pass off as an MPV. Right now, it just looks like a station wagon version of the Go with two additional seats.

Edit: I just noticed a shocker! The last row of seats does not get seatbelts at all, while the second row outer seats merely get the adjustable fixed type ones, and not the proper ELR type seatbelts! This is just not the right way to go

Last edited by RSR : 17th September 2013 at 23:53.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 00:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Edit: I just noticed a shocker! The last row of seats does not get seatbelts at all, while the second row outer seats merely get the adjustable fixed type ones, and not the proper ELR type seatbelts! This is just not the right way to go
Last row doesn't even get headrests - and middle row gets insufficient fixed headrests. Cust cutting at its extremes! Also - take a look how close the last seat come close to the rear glass.

Not to mention - its ugly!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 01:04   #6
BHPian

Horrible design, but interior quality look's acceptable considering that this model is built to reach a certain cost target.
Old 18th September 2013, 03:56   #7
BHPian

looking at the pictures, cannot make out the entry/exit point for 3rd row occupants. The middle seat is not a split-seat as far as I can see. Missed something??
Old 18th September 2013, 08:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My God, that's an ugly car. The car is not proportionate and the face is not pleasing at all. It looks longer than 4 meters, but that 3rd row is just for namesake.

Will the passenger in the front middle seat get a proper seat belt? Most people don't like to wear a lap belt and I really don't think the placement of the gear lever is going to help in case of a sudden stop.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The pictures give me hints of Ertiga in it, specially sides, large rear bumper and looks low slung giving it an odd look. Not at all pleasing to the eye.

What were Nissan thinking when they styling this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
looking at the pictures, cannot make out the entry/exit point for 3rd row occupants. The middle seat is not a split-seat as far as I can see. Missed something??
I guess the whole middle row has to fold down for the third row access. Stupid idea.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th September 2013 at 08:31.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nissan are announcing the cars faster than scheduled. When I met Carlos Ghosn during the Alliance Discovery Tou (Renault Nissan Alliance Discovery Tour)r, the indications were that this car would be announced early next year

If you read my report on the presentation by (Renault Nissan Alliance Discovery Tour) a leading analyst, Mike Dunne, it is clear that Indonesia is mini SUV heaven, Nissan must have picked up on the Ertiga success and are jumpstarting.

If you look closely at the Go+ , it share a lot of components with the Go, rear lights are common, even the lower rear door panels. It is certain that this was developed in Chennai using their frugal engineering techniques. Remember the father of the Logan oversees this team

Last edited by ajmat : 18th September 2013 at 09:05.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

That's a whole lot of pointless, extra bodywork just to accommodate an extra row of sordid looking bench seat that looks straight out of a Eicher city bus. And as mentioned in the opening post, it's barely an estate, they shouldn't be calling it a MPV.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:38   #12
BHPian

I would think slightly differently on the Go+ and I feel that it could have quite a few takers, if introduced here in India.

The Go+ may seem disproportionate in aesthetics, but I have seen ugly ducklings here in India as well. The Go+ has absolutely no interest in winning any beauty contest, but aims to capture the title as the most spacious sub-4 metre hatch/estate/MPV.

True, the third row seat is purely a gimmick and a safety hazard, at worst. If passengers in the third row of the above 4 metre Ertiga are not comfortable, I simply cannot reckon how passengers in the third row can be accommodated in the sub-4 metre Go+.

As a spacious, economical and practical sub-4 mtre car, the Go+ offers a lot. Remove the third row seat and the 5-seater car would probably have the largest boot space among sub-4 metre cars. Also, Datsun should well consider removing that silly (and useless) mini-seat between the front row seats and fit in a lockable box, to secure items in the absence of a proper glove box. Besides, a cushioned higher box would also double up as an armrest, a first for the segment.

The Go+ would also be economical, because a lot of organs of the Go+ have been shared from its siblings. And it could also be priced aggressively, considering that the sub-4 metre car attracts tax benefits.

If the Ertiga is a poor man's Innova, the Go+ would be a poor man's Ertiga and it could well be a hit among the taxi segment and families with a passion for maximum luggage.

Given the low priority accorded to safety features (airbags, ABS, etc), most Indians could well be interested in other aspects of the Go+, as in the quality of its 'SPERM': Space, Performance, Economy (maintenance), Reliability and Mileage! As a VFM vehicle, the Go+ has a lot Go-ing in favour of it.

In my view, the only factor that could cause some concern among the Indian buyer is the present wafer-thin service network of Nissan in India. But if Renault could sell truckloads of the Duster with a minimal service network, I dont see how the Go+ cannot achieve decent sales. Heck, had this car been in Maruti's line-up, there could have been riots outside the showrooms.

As a car with a potentially good 'SPERM' count, the Go+ can score very highly and I would, for sure, take a closer look at the vehicle as a potential replacement for my i10 in the next 1-2 years, if introduced here in India.

Last edited by misquitas : 18th September 2013 at 11:45.
misquitas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

The third row 'bench' must feel really cramped, not to mention the jumpy ride due to the XL overhang. But other than that, the GO+ has a lot going for it, given the kind of target customers it is intended for. There is a lot of part sharing and it ducks under the 4-metre rule which should indicate a competitive price.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:38   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

There's no doubt that the Go+ looks ugly - and sometimes even an ugly car sells. You just have to get the right car with all the essentials and it will sell. The Qualis was a perfect example - it was an ugly looking MUV, but it easily beat the Sumo. Its only from the front that the Go+ looks ugly - if they put a smaller grille, am sure it will look good.
Name:  Gosmallgrille.jpg
Views: 3677
Size:  78.2 KB

Coming to the Go+, if it is launched at a price much lower than the Ertiga, it makes sense. Given the fact that the Ertiga managed to eat into the sales of the Innova - the Go+ has the potential to compete with the Ertiga.

If it is priced alongside the Ertiga, there are chances this may affect the sales of the Duster and the Terrano - even though both belong to different segments.

The cost cutting in the Go is very much evident :
Flat seats with integrated headrests (or should I say no headrests)
No split seats at the rear (wonder how the last row occupants get in/out)
Manual wind down windows at the rear

Name:  Ertiga1.jpg
Views: 5176
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  DatsunGo.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  63.7 KB
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 14:16   #15
BHPian

Post Re: Datsun Go+ Compact MPV unveiled in Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I would think slightly differently on the Go+ and I feel that it could have quite a few takers, if introduced here in India.

The Go+ may seem disproportionate in aesthetics, but I have seen ugly ducklings here in India as well. The Go+ has absolutely no interest in winning any beauty contest, but aims to capture the title as the most spacious sub-4 metre hatch/estate/MPV.

True, the third row seat is purely a gimmick and a safety hazard, at worst. If passengers in the third row of the above 4 metre Ertiga are not comfortable, I simply cannot reckon how passengers in the third row can be accommodated in the sub-4 metre Go+.

As a spacious, economical and practical sub-4 mtre car, the Go+ offers a lot. Remove the third row seat and the 5-seater car would probably have the largest boot space among sub-4 metre cars. Also, Datsun should well consider removing that silly (and useless) mini-seat between the front row seats and fit in a lockable box, to secure items in the absence of a proper glove box. Besides, a cushioned higher box would also double up as an armrest, a first for the segment.

The Go+ would also be economical, because a lot of organs of the Go+ have been shared from its siblings. And it could also be priced aggressively, considering that the sub-4 metre car attracts tax benefits.

If the Ertiga is a poor man's Innova, the Go+ would be a poor man's Ertiga and it could well be a hit among the taxi segment and families with a passion for maximum luggage.

Given the low priority accorded to safety features (airbags, ABS, etc), most Indians could well be interested in other aspects of the Go+, as in the quality of its 'SPERM': Space, Performance, Economy (maintenance), Reliability and Mileage! As a VFM vehicle, the Go+ has a lot Go-ing in favour of it.

In my view, the only factor that could cause some concern among the Indian buyer is the present wafer-thin service network of Nissan in India. But if Renault could sell truckloads of the Duster with a minimal service network, I dont see how the Go+ cannot achieve decent sales. Heck, had this car been in Maruti's line-up, there could have been riots outside the showrooms.

As a car with a potentially good 'SPERM' count, the Go+ can score very highly and I would, for sure, take a closer look at the vehicle as a potential replacement for my i10 in the next 1-2 years, if introduced here in India.
I am right with you.

If at all someone from Nissan reads your post, work on these modifications and introduce this not as a 7 seater MUV but as a 5 seater compact MUV with huge boot space, enough safety features (include airbags, abs), parking sensors, alloys and options as in a Xylo then market it like Ford EcoSport, I am seeing decent number of customers for this product.

Just looking at Maruti Omni and Eeco which are definitely not great looking cars clocking sales figures around 4k, I wonder why this car cannot achieve same.

I expect Nissan to implement some practicality on this car rather than trying to achieve sales with 7 seater gimmick.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread