Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th September 2013, 22:22   #1
BHPian

Default Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!

Now here is what you would call crazy. Ali Saeed, of King of Customs fame, went out and modified a Nissan Patrol to have its steering wheel, shifters, and controls at the back. Backseat driver.

Quote from orginal article at Yahoo Autos
Quote:
Built by Ali Saeed at his King of Customs shop in Dubai, the 2008 Nissan Patrol looks stock from the outside. Only on opening the front doors does the extent of the mods become clear; the dash now consists of a smooth panel running the width of the car, with three LED screens in place of the normal instrument panel. All of the necessary functions for driving now reside in back — a gear shifter, a few gauges and the steering wheel, with smaller gas and brake pedals mounted underneath a shroud around the steering column, and the center console moved to the right.

Aside from giving passengers the best view, the motivation for spending more than three months transplanting the SUV's controls to the back seat aren't clear. From a craftsman's perspective, it's well done; all surfaces look finished for real-world use, there's extra cupholders up front and it would fit right in at a U.S. custom car show. The center-mounted wheel (just like a McLaren F1) makes it easier to switch between right-side and left-side driving territories. And even the Nissan's name seems particularly apt for, say, a parent chaperoning a date. There's no place to hide in this Patrol.
Name:  kocdubai.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  38.3 KB

I have met Ali Saeed while visiting my uncle there. He is an awesome guy, and will detail out each car with a personal interest. And he is a knowledge house on cars. Ask about any car, and he would read out the dimensions of the trans-axle. Such is his knowledge.

UPDATE: Just thought of the novelty factor in getting something like this made here in India. Would make India TV in 5 mins.

Last edited by searchingheaven : 19th September 2013 at 22:29.
searchingheaven is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 00:50   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Ali Saeed gives Backseat driver a new meaning: Steering in rear seats Nissan Patr

I read this earlier in WCF, they slaughtered a vehicle just to make a point which i dont know what is. They should have made the central driving position just like the F1, that could have brought them some positive attention. But they had to go through this way.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 20th September 2013 at 00:52.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 08:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ali Saeed gives Backseat driver a new meaning: Steering in rear seats Nissan Patr

If you recollect the Bond Movie "Tomorrow Never Dies", the "remote controlled" BMW 760 used is actually driven from the rear seats

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2013 at 14:48. Reason: typo as per RP
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:39   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs!

Not sure what to call this vehicle..weird/wacky or genius; certainly not practical or safe; can be a good demo car.

Source: King of Customs page in facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!-1.jpg  

Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!-2.jpg  

Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!-3.jpg  

Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!-4.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2013 at 17:00.
arjithin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Not sure what to call this vehicle..weird/wacky or genius; certainly not practical or safe; can be a good demo car.
Mother of God !!!
That is dangerous and down right illegal.
Though I have to accept that the fit and finish is perfect. Absolutely great mod job.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Haha... tht had me partially ROFL and partially put me to thinking the motive behind doing this

Riding this go-kart would be an absolute adventure ,gods save the ones riding close to this though.

However i must say he has done a decent job in pulling the steering coloumn to the middle.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Source: King of Customs page in facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Mother of God !!!
That is dangerous and down right illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Haha... tht had me partially ROFL and partially put me to thinking the motive behind doing this
More details on the car at the below link , this is actually in Dubai and not in India

http://www.emirates247.com/news/vide...09-11-1.520607

Also reminded me of this image which i had stumbled upon some time back
Attached Thumbnails
Ali Saeed's Nissan Patrol: Driver controls from the rear seat!-back_seat_driver.jpg  

puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote