Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th October 2013, 14:14   #106
BHPian

Default Re: New York: Road Rage / Accident between Range Rover & Bikers

So what I'm gonna do is buy a PULSAR, get on to it, go to a biker's sunday ride, some place like xBHP dhaba, start going into peoples houses, and well, run over them.
And since I'm a biker and have a small vehicle I am justified in doing so.

Damn!
How cool is that!
Totally in conformity with the principles of Natural Justice!

Fixed
Old 4th October 2013, 14:15   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
OK.

So what I'm gonna do is buy a Bolero(cant afford a RR), put my family in it, go to a biker's sunday ride, some place like xBHP dhaba, start rear-ending bikers, and when the resent, run over them.
And since I'm with my family, I'm justified killing bikers.

Damn!
How cool is that!

Note from Team-bhp support: Do not type an entire post in bold. Always quote only relevant sections of the post instead of the entire post. Thanks!

Maybe I missed the part where the Range Rover driver went looking for trouble.

Please point me to some post where someone has posted its acceptable to go looking for trouble and then go crazy.

Every post you have quoted talks about how if attacked, its ok to defend yourself.
No one has advocated being the aggressor.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:22   #108
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
So what I'm gonna do is buy a PULSAR, get on to it, go to a biker's sunday ride, some place like xBHP dhaba, start going into peoples houses, and well, run over them.
And since I'm a biker and have a small vehicle I am justified in doing so.

Damn!
How cool is that!

Fixed

Going into people's houses? Where did that happen? What did I miss?

And running people over on bikes? You mean like the RR guy did. Thats impossible. You cant run over people on bikes. You'll fall over the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Maybe I missed the part where the Range Rover driver went looking for trouble.

Please point me to some post where someone has posted its acceptable to go looking for trouble and then go crazy.

Every post you have quoted talks about how if attacked, its ok to defend yourself.
No one has advocated being the aggressor.

Well, rear-ending a bike. Thats ok. Coming to a standstill. thats ok too.
But then suddenly accelerating and running over the guy and his bike.
Well, I do call that looking for trouble.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:27   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And running people over on bikes? You mean like the RR guy did. Thats impossible. You cant run over people on bikes. You'll fall over the bike.
His example is just as good as your example of going into a dhaba.

Quote:

I seriously hope you don't try and get in front of any vehicle going over 30-40 kmph and brake hard. You will get rear ended.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:30   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You missed the report Vipin posted on the last page where a juvenile Mumbai biker lost control of his bike while attempting a wheelie, ran into a few shanties, killing one and injuring six others.

Impossible? Tell that to the dead lady.

Quote:
Did you also happen to miss the tire-slashing and vehicle-smashing that happened between the 'coming to a standstill' and 'taking off' bits?

Seriously, have you even read ANY reports of the incident?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th October 2013 at 14:33.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:31   #111
E63
BANNED

Well, to my untrained eye, the RR wasnt doing more than 25 km/hr, and could've easily stopped if he wanted to.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:31   #112
BHPian

Dear E63 Please refer to my post on what happened in Mumbai Yesterday, I guess you missed that, Please do have a look.
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/m...ome-topstories
Old 4th October 2013, 14:33   #113
E63
BANNED

Well, thats called crashing into, not running over.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:37   #114
Team-BHP Support

If I were to put myself in the position of the RR driver, I'd have a billion things going through my mind. When a group of 30-40 bikers surround my car and the guy in front of me attempts to brake-check me repeatedly, I'm immediately going to assume that this this whole thing is orchestrated. I'm also going to assume that I'm on the wrong side of a bunch of extortionists who are, in all probability, going to harm my family if I don't give in to their whims. And one thing's for sure, I'm not going to stop and talk it out because I know that that's not going to work when these low-lifes have a different agenda.

Don't get me wrong. Running over someone is not the right thing at all. But I'm certainly not going to be a deer in the headlights when I come across such a situation. I wasn't born yesterday.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:49   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai biker's stunt crushes one, lands six in hospital

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/m...ome-topstories
Old 4th October 2013, 15:13   #116
BHPian

Dear E63This is what a senior police officer had to say :
DCP Dhananjay Kulkarni of Zone V said, "Devotees walk to Siddhivinayak Temple in hordes on Monday night, and bikers zooming on the roads are very dangerous. Earlier, we used to book them under the Motor Vehicles Acts but now we register cases against them and seize their bikes to deter them from repeating the offence," said Kulkarni.

Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Phansalkar, "It's not only the police's job. Parents and guardians of errant bikers also need to take note why their child is heading out with a bike late in the night. Attitudinal and behavioural change is needed. Counselling may help. We have had a meeting with the joint commissioner (law and order) and it has been decided that we will continue to book rash drivers.

So, "The point is not about bikes or cars it is about human behaviour, every individual is protective about his/her family. When in a crisis or when provoked it is either "flight" or "figh"t, and as many of our friends mentioned in the various posts if one is threatened by a large group of people who are charged up then there are only two alternatives and that is no time to stop and give the group a sermon on "how to be nice.
It is sad that when fleeing he ran over a biker, but I am sure he didn't do it deliberately
Old 4th October 2013, 15:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I was sharing my over-defensive (if there is such a word) philosophy. Isnt this what we discuss on TBHP - how WE could've avoided it, etc? Please don't ascribe a philosophy to me that I dont espouse.

Lastly, since you havent bothered to read my posts - everyone faces road rage in India, esp in NCR, in varying amounts. We're not driving away in some wonderland of some sort.
Err,where exactly did you see me replying to you or ascribe a philosophy to you????

My post was generic.So please chill
Old 4th October 2013, 16:01   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK.

So what I'm gonna do is buy a Bolero(cant afford a RR), put my family in it, go to a biker's sunday ride, some place like xBHP dhaba, start rear-ending bikers, and when the resent, run over them.
And since I'm with my family, I'm justified killing bikers.

Damn!
How cool is that!
Do you have a reading comprehension issue? or did you not read the reports about how the bikers were behaving, or their past records? Or are you so desperate to warp the scenario to convey your point?

If miscreants create trouble - and I don't give a blank whether they are in bikes, other cars or on foot (so keep your biker chip on the shoulder to yourself) - and put my family's life in danger through no fault of ours - then they deserve whatever might happen as a consequence of whatever actions I take to protect my family. Same scenario as burglars entering your house and you shooting them to defend life and property. A thief/dacoit enters to steal or threaten bodily harm, he deserves whatever happens to him - whether I set my dog on his throat or whether I shoot him.

That is my pov. I don't care what you or others feel about this - everyone has a right to his or her opinion. But when you start quoting me out of context, then you make things personal.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 4th October 2013 at 16:12.
nilanjanray is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

8 pages of discussion over an incident that happened in New York, and which was investigated and actioned upon by the police and even then it degenerates into a verbal slugfest. Funny yet tragic, and a total waste of time. Mods, seriously, time to lock this thread.
Lalvaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 22:18   #120
SDP
Team-BHP Support

An update, as there are several new developments:

1. Reginald Chance (biker hitting the glass with helmet) and Robert Simms (biker trying to open the RR door earlier) are in custody.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/...-to-surrender/

Also looks like a good samaritan did help/defend the family .

2. A picture and video of damaged RR
http://nypost.com/2013/10/04/underco...kers-beat-dad/

Apparently an off-duty undercover NYPD cop was riding with the bikers, but chose not to do anything!

3. Images of the victim Lien (lying on the ground after the attack) and his family after the police arrived.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1471585

Apparently he was beaten by as many as 5 bikers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th October 2013 at 15:14.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread