Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 22nd November 2013, 08:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Which in plain English means Ford's entry level Ecosports is just for the sake of starting price. I'm curious to know why you feel its 'just for sake'? Its obvious that the only major difference between the other 2 is the engine. Hence was my assumption!
In recent times, it has been a marketing gimmick by most companies to have a dirt cheap base petrol variant just to quote the low starting price of the car.

They do this by pricing the base petrol variant at a barely break-even price or even at a price where they suffer a loss if they sell one at that price. Then they minimize this loss by ensuring they don't produce more than 10-20 units of this variant per month, just enough to show that they indeed produce this variant. Marketing department can cover these losses internally from their advertising budget since it is a fixed number/fixed amount loss every month.

This will lead to good demand and exorbitant waiting periods for this variant but the company would not increase the production numbers of this specific variant under any circumstance. Thus they get a 'just for sake' variant in their lineup that is useful mainly for their sales and marketing department to sell other variants - it gets the customers to their showroom.

The customer who comes to the showroom attracted by this low price tag would be persuaded by the sales advisors to go for the next higher variant which is more 'VFM' and where the waiting period is lower. The exorbitant pricing of genuine accessories often help them in convincing a regular customer that the higher variants are more VFM.

Renault did this with base petrol 85PS Duster initially and Ford did the same with Ecosport. Even Honda can do the same by pricing the base variant at 5.99L with a single batch per month target and indicating huge waiting periods due to capacity constraints.

Last edited by zenren : 22nd November 2013 at 08:55.
zenren is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In recent times, it has been a marketing gimmick by most companies to have a dirt cheap base petrol variant just to quote the low starting price of the car.

They do this by pricing the base petrol variant at a barely break-even price or even at a price where they suffer a loss if they sell one at that price. Then they minimize this loss by ensuring they don't produce more than 10-20 units of this variant per month, just enough to show that they indeed produce this variant. Marketing department can cover these losses internally from their advertising budget since it is a fixed number/fixed amount loss every month.

This will lead to good demand and exorbitant waiting periods for this variant but the company would not increase the production numbers of this specific variant under any circumstance. Thus they get a 'just for sake' variant in their lineup that is useful mainly for their sales and marketing department to sell other variants - it gets the customers to their showroom.

The customer who comes to the showroom attracted by this low price tag would be persuaded by the sales advisors to go for the next higher variant which is more 'VFM' and where the waiting period is lower. The exorbitant pricing of genuine accessories often help them in convincing a regular customer that the higher variants are more VFM.

Renault did this with base petrol 85PS Duster initially and Ford did the same with Ecosport. Even Honda can do the same by pricing the base variant at 5.99L with a single batch per month target and indicating huge waiting periods due to capacity constraints.

Agreed. But what we are really getting at is whether Honda can produce a Vezel at a price that will sell in India? I believe they can and there is no reason why this car wont sell for 11L+. Ford may has used a marketing tactic by pricing the base variant at 5.99 but it does have some nicely loaded versions under 10L. Why cant Honda produce something in that price range is the question!
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:16   #33
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2013 at 16:40.
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s a good looking car, but I will not term it as exceptional or refreshing. It’s pretty much aligned to every other new Japanese small crossovers in the global market. Considering Honda’s popularity in our market, this car can really do well in the segment of Ecosport, Duster, Terrano etc. Probably this went down in the pecking order since they have quite a few launches scheduled for the next year.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
It seems only the Germans do clean designs with proportional lines and a unifying vision to the whole design that makes the car looks composed, simple and solid, and not awkward in any way. Take the example of the Tiguan below, and this could apply to most German cars from Audi, BMW and Volkswagen. Too many distracting lines, shapes, disproportional overhangs contribute to an overall feeling of design confusion and awkwardness. Is it so difficult to make a chunky, solid looking and proportional mini suv?

This whole post is subjective and we all have different sense of aesthetics, but hopefully there is a common ground.
Great observation all around.

Well, the Japanese(especially Honda & Lexus) have their fair share of kamikaze tricks up their sleeves to differentiate themselves from the cold and stoic Germans as far as mainstream automotive design goes. In this endeavor to be strikingly different, they're losing out a little I believe, and letting go of that trademark Honda originality and purity. But I respect Honda Design and maybe this is passing fad and will be rectified in the upcoming generations.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:38   #36
BHPian

Looks stunning to me from outside and inside. But to me looks like a confused product. why?
Very busy lines in front and back. And when I see it from the driver's seat, dashboard / AC lines looks so plain.
Were the designers competing against Hyundai and VW at the same time or the team that designed exterior and interiors never talked to each other?

That said, Honda might have an ace in their sleeves. And better they put a diesel mill and launch it sooner rather than later. The segment is heating up the competition and Honda again may not want to miss the bus.

Exciting new year ahead for Honda it seems - Jazz, Mobilio and City/C-rider. And the cherry on the top would be this.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a feeling that the Vezel will come to India. Not in 2014, but maybe in 2015. The opportunity is too big for Honda India (who's recently woken up) to miss.

Honda will have to wait till it has production capacity in India, and its engineering department shoehorns the 1.5L diesel into the Vezel's hood. Petrol SUV = no market interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Itís a good looking car, but I will not term it as exceptional or refreshing. Itís pretty much aligned to every other new Japanese small crossovers in the global market. Considering Hondaís popularity in our market, this car can really do well in the segment of Ecosport, Duster, Terrano etc. Probably this went down in the pecking order since they have quite a few launches scheduled for the next year.
To me, bringing in the Vezel into India ahead of the Jazz seems to be a better strategy, if production capacity is the constraint. Much as I love the Jazz (brilliant piece of design, especially in maximizing the interior space and offering super flexibility), we know the Indian mindset of sedan='badi gaadi', never mind if it offers less space than a brilliantly designed club class hatch such as the Jazz. Also, SUVs/crossovers are the flavour of the season here and Honda could aim for more numbers, and certainly have much more pricing flexibility by bringing in this urban SUV.
Top-Gear is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I understand the logic however I personally feel that there is a huge difference between Renault launching 85PS 4mts+ Duster as an entry level offering and Ford launching 112PS 4mts EcoSports.

If Ford had launched it with their 1.4L petrol engine I could have agreed and termed it as 'for sake'.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
To me, bringing in the Vezel into India ahead of the Jazz seems to be a better strategy, if production capacity is the constraint. Much as I love the Jazz (brilliant piece of design, especially in maximizing the interior space and offering super flexibility), we know the Indian mindset of sedan='badi gaadi', never mind if it offers less space than a brilliantly designed club class hatch such as the Jazz. Also, SUVs/crossovers are the flavour of the season here and Honda could aim for more numbers, and certainly have much more pricing flexibility by bringing in this urban SUV.
I agree with Top-Gear on this. Jazz was a great package but was probably not the best choice for the Indian consumers. Too big and expensive for a hatchback and too small for a similarly priced C segment sedan. This on the other hand offers a whole new dimension to Honda's current line-up in India. And with the Indian buyers queueing up for compact SUVs, this might as well turn out to another hit for Honda. Looking at the size of the vehicle, I am guessing the engines from the Amaze should be more than adequate for our roads.
Alas, Honda does not have that terrific Eco-Boost engine.
Burn_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:20   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting design, looks like a mini version of the Acura ZDX from overall rear theme.

Though front has hints of CRV.

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-acurazdx3.jpg

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-acurazdx4.jpg

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-acurazdxwhite12.jpg
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 13:16   #41
BHPian

Honda Vezel an absolutely stunning looking car but sad it will not make entry in india for a while. The only other car that will give this tough competition would be the Volkswagen Tiguan. The Tiguan also looks like a really neat. Waiting for it to come to India
alfaromeo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 00:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Honda vezel looks good overall.

The design is too busy from the front, the back looks better though.

The dealer said it will come to India by mid of 2015.

Engine options:
diesel- similar to amaze and city (only manual)
petrol 1.5 (both auto and manual)

Probable features as shared by a reliable source:
1.climetronic AC
2.auto fold mirrors
3.reverse camera
4.in dash gps from garmin
5.leather seats.
6.sun roof.
7.alloy wheels.
8.projector head lamps with DRLs
9.led tail lamps

Pricing:12 to 15 lakhs

So beware Ford, Renault and Nissan-now is the best time to take care of your customers otherwise somebody else will

Last edited by ecosport rules : 26th November 2013 at 01:10.
ecosport rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 15:46   #43
BHPian

By far THIS is how compact SUVs should be, just so gorgeous. Dusters, Terranos and the Ecosports are about to sent back into hiding. The best bit about all is this is the crossover the Jazz always deserved and glad Honda have taken it forward, with ťlan! One great feature I love are the low slung boot and the Magic Seats from the Jazz. They're a boon literally. Shall most certainly get the i-dtec and coupled with a few niceties here and there, with a good price tag, this should do well.

The new City will be doing well, but this and the new Jazz will be success stories this coming year for Honda.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 16:16   #44
BHPian

The Honda compact SUV looks phenomenal, and nothing short of what i'd expect from Honda. 2015 feels like a long wait, but when it gets here it'll hopefully take the Indian market by storm.

The Ecosport and Duster are already doing really well, and more competition in the segment makes a whole lot of sense. Good to see Honda trying to get back into the action. Hopefully they wont botch up the pricing.

Needless to say it shares the design ethos of the bigger older CRV.
virtualdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:40   #45
AMP

On the looks front, this new baby from Honda looks perfect, even better then its current competitors in India. I personally find nothing bad in Renault Duster and Nissan Terrano's looks, these also look good. I want the competition in this segment to intensify so that we consumer will get all possible benefits.
AMP is offline   Reply With Quote