Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th November 2013, 11:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV

Love the shades that the Vezel is being offered in! The Hybrid looks fantastic in that mesmerizing shade of blueish purple. The alloys on the white Vezel are smarter.

For India, plonk in the new 1.5L iDtec engine, leave the rest as it is, price it bang on in the Ecosport/Duster territory and Honda has got itself another winner!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 13:34   #47
BHPian

Do you mean to say that Ford's 1.5L 112 BHP petrol engine is a piece of junk?[/quote]
Gentlemen I own the Ford Ecosport 1.5P AT for the last 3 months and really am amazed at the way the package is put together. Honda, Maruti, Toyota not only have to get their Urban SUV offering right but most importantly price it below Rs. 10 Lakhs to stand a chance to compete with Ford.

Honda will have to wait till it has production capacity in India, and its engineering department shoehorns the 1.5L diesel into the Vezel's hood. Petrol SUV = no market interest.[/quote]
Ha ha ha I think GTO's argument of Petrol SUV = No market Interest will be disproved by mid 2014 when Diesel prices will rise to Rs. 67-68/- per litre.
royfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 14:43   #48
BHPian

I don't like it. It looks too 'meek' for an SUV and I don't see it doing well, considering that it's a petrol engine.
Diesel may catch up with Petrol in terms of pricing but the higher mileage and the fact that Diesel loses less mileage when the car is driven-driven will be the bane of Petrol based SUVs. Those who like to put their foot down while driving will only lose about 10% of the mileage; in Petrol you lose 30-40%. A lot of people seem to ignore this aspect when buying these vehicles.
Would sedate drivers go for this SUV? I don't think so.

Last edited by dozer : 28th November 2013 at 14:46.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 18:10   #49
BHPian

I was just thinking about this the other day as an EcoSport whizzed past me - why doesn't Honda offer a compact, urban SUV with design cues based on the previous-gen CR-V? So, this is almost like deja vu!

It looks fabulous. I do agree that the front end is too busy and loud and the rear lights looks ripped off from the Lexus LF-A concept. Even the rear door handles built into the rear quarter glass is clearly Beat-esque but I loved the overall package. If and when this arrives, it'll be a tough choice between this, the EcoSport and any others that the rivals might churn out.

Better not screw it, Honda! Name:  nono5.gif
Views: 2628
Size:  234 Bytes
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:13   #50
Team-BHP Support

Thinking aloud:

- Though Vezel may be on hold, I think it still adds a value and mainly can unlock a nice niche sgment.
- Today there is not premium X-over sector. Its only Yeti today. 15-20L OTR segment is a very good sector.
- People should be ready to go give that premium to get a top of the line X-over.
- Yeti was low sales product because I think it started in 18-22L range. The base model @16L OTR came much later.
- Ideally the product should be on a 15L starting OTR range.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 12:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Today there is not premium X-over sector. Its only Yeti today. 15-20L OTR segment is a very good sector.
- People should be ready to go give that premium to get a top of the line X-over.
- Yeti was low sales product because I think it started in 18-22L range. The base model @16L OTR came much later.
- Ideally the product should be on a 15L starting OTR range.
True, if a Skoda doesn't sell in decent numbers (be it in any price point), it need not be because the customers are not interested in that segment. It is certainly an untapped segment till a trusted manufacturer comes up with a good product in that band but I'm not sure if Vezel is really something up to that level.

If Honda plans on hitting the 15-20L band UV segment, it should be with a product derived from the Civic platform and nothing lesser.

15-20L for a Vezel would be repeating the Jazz blunder all over if it is going to have similar parts as Jazz/City. There is no way people would take it as a premium car if it has very similar parts and theme to a Jazz that is available at half its price.

Given where the current products/segments stand in the market, ideal pricing would be in the range of 6-9L for Jazz, 8-12L for City and 9-13L for Vezel.

Last edited by zenren : 29th November 2013 at 12:15.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 12:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

On pricing front, it would start where the City stops? (not considering very basic versions, but Honda usually doesnt offer such basic versions mostly).
The market needs to grow up to consume such cars when spacewise they dont offer a lot extra over sedans.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:04   #53
Team-BHP Support

Agreed. As you rightly said if Honda plans to bring in at 15-20L range they better have a product of that quality. Thats where my worry is. If Duster like product sell way over their price points, others would follow the same path.

Thats why I mentioned 20L as real upper limit. For a very well finished product from Honda with nice diesel and FE, a 16-18 range may not that bad. Again I stress on the range because Honda would no way get it for 9-13. Because they can already see Dusters and Terranos selling higher than that. (I mean OTR pricing). I was just basing my point based on that aspect. (Though I agree that its perceived value in International market would lower than what we pay).

Last edited by ampere : 29th November 2013 at 14:05.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It may not make it to India! ACI says Vezel is unlikely to make it to India owing to the weak rupee.
Well, as per the sources of a new upcoming thread of Team-BHP's visit to Honda's testing facility in Tokyo as well as the Tokyo Motor Show in Japan, they are mulling of the possibilities of bringing it in 2015, but yes, the capacity of the plant is now the main issue with Honda guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In recent times, it has been a marketing gimmick by most companies to have a dirt cheap base petrol variant just to quote the low starting price of the car.
Seriously! The topic deserves a separate thread itself for a hot discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I understand the logic however I personally feel that there is a huge difference between Renault launching 85PS 4mts+ Duster as an entry level offering and Ford launching 112PS 4mts EcoSports.
Yes! The same motor is exported to numerous countries across Middle East and Europe. Is never felt nor is underpowered unlike the Duster 85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfernandez View Post
Gentlemen I own the Ford Ecosport 1.5P AT for the last 3 months and really am amazed at the way the package is put together.
Can't agree more!

Last edited by vvijay : 29th November 2013 at 14:33. Reason: More details
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:32   #55
BHPian

Though it is competent enough to be a good seller, somehow the new H design philosophy does not appeal to me at all. And Honda seems to be trying too hard to incorporate the H design in their cars no matter what. If the Vezel's grill looks weird, the new City's grill looks horrible.

I think I will pass, and wait till Honda has evolved a new design philosophy to buy another Honda.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Front end is like a sedan, sloping bonnet and all that. SUVs need to have veritcal grill and bonnet parallel to road. Not sloping down like in a sedan. The square front look is what has made Scorpio such a hit. Also, again, bumper is very close to tarmac. Un-SUV like. The side and rear are very good though.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 17:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Front end is like a sedan, sloping bonnet and all that. SUVs need to have veritcal grill and bonnet parallel to road. Not sloping down like in a sedan. The square front look is what has made Scorpio such a hit. Also, again, bumper is very close to tarmac. Un-SUV like. The side and rear are very good though.
I think the angles for bonnet and grill are similar to that of CR-V. So the product might look like an SUV when seen in flesh if you are okay with the stance of CR-V. If the big brother doesn't make the cut, its too much expectation from the new kid on the block.

Maybe its just me, but I find the large wheels and the high position of headlamps good enough to give that SUV look upfront at least from the pictures I saw.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 17:58   #58
BHPian

My Ramblings/Wishlist:

- Price it between 8-12L
- Should comfortably seat 5 + have decent luggage space (Honda's magic seats should help)
- Diesel or Petrol pricing only time will tell
- Predicable/affordable cost of ownership
- Honda's reliability

Being a Maruti Suzuki Ritz owner, I am used to the high riding position (tall boy stance) and the extra head room. Can't fathom another hatchback (be it the feature loaded i20 or the new Jazz) OR the available sedans Vento/Rapid/City/Verna.

When I think about upgrading, I think of only the SX4. But that is going to be so same as the Ritz. This is where the urge for change would come in.

A Honda with a higher driving position (but pocket friendly(compared to CR-V)) would certainly be a welcome change.

When my Ritz comes for upgrade, Vezel definitely could be a very tempting option. Bring it on Honda!
Ritzvxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 21:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Anybody know what are the dimensions? Is it NOT compact?
4295 x 1770 x 1605...read this somewhere (a French site) but can't find the source now.

It's almost similar in size to the original CRV!

I get the feeling Honda will slot this above the City as a premium alternative to Duster/Terrano/XUV5OO in the 9.5-13.5 lakhs range. The parts sharing with city/jazz and common platforms will ensure this IMO.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 02:05   #60
BHPian

Little tidbit about a possible 2014 launch in India from CarWale:

Honda is all set to launch the City sedan and Jazz hatchback over the course of the next few months. This is expected to be the third car from the Japanese automaker for 2014 and will make its Indian debut in the second half of the year. We expect that it will be priced in the range of six lakh to Rs 12 lakh for the top spec diesel variant making it compete with the Ford EcoSport, Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra XUV500 W4, Nissan Terrano and the Renault Duster. Honda will have to play its cards right to ensure that the Vezel will not cannibalize sales of the City sedan when it is launched.

More interior pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-hondavezelchina15.jpg  

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-hondavezeltk13111.jpg  

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-hondavezeltk13121.jpg  

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-hondavezeltk13161.jpg  

Honda reveals Vezel - Urban SUV-hondavezeltk13171.jpg  

tjacob is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote