Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 30th December 2013, 15:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement

AutoExpress UK has got hold of an exclusive image of the Fiat 500 5-door variant, which is touted to be the replacement for the Fiat Punto.

Name:  fiat_5005dr.jpg
Views: 8344
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote:
Instead of simply fitting an extra two doors to the standard 500 and stretching the wheelbase, Fiat will base it on a modified version of the Punto platform – like the larger 500L.

But classic styling cues will be carried over from the 500, such as the two-part headlights, short bonnet and steeply raked pillars, to keep the car in line with the rest of the family. When the car arrives, it will take the expanded 500 range to eight separate models.
The Fiat 500 5-door will be based on a modified Punto platform, with most of the styling cues carried over from the 500 itself.

The engine options will include 4-cylinder versions of both petrol and diesel, and an exclusive 875cc TwinAir powertrain.

SOURCE - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/50...-door-fiat-500
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 17:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
AutoExpress UK has got hold of an exclusive image of the Fiat 500 5-door variant, which is touted to be the replacement for the Fiat Punto.

Attachment 1184527

The Fiat 500 5-door will be based on a modified Punto platform, with most of the styling cues carried over from the 500 itself.

The engine options will include 4-cylinder versions of both petrol and diesel, and an exclusive 875cc TwinAir powertrain.

SOURCE - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/50...-door-fiat-500
This is so beautiful. Quite a befitting successor to the Punto. Now, if ONLY they managed some cracker of engines to match the looks. Handling & Ride are anyway given for Fiats. And yea, those tiny ergonomics aspects too.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

This will an awesome replacement for punto if it indeed happens.
I would love to buy one for my wife.

Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images

ecosport rules is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 21:52   #4
BHPian

Please FIAT dont! VW is already doing the photocopying the same design to different models. I dont think i would want a 500 morphed in to a GP. Punto and 500 are different profiles and punto is more aggressive and agile looking than the 500 which is a niche kinda product.

I think punto is still the best looking hatch in india, it never aged.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 30th December 2013 at 21:54.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:11   #5
BHPian

where is that "oh so maserati" looks??

This new design looks "cute". The current design sold in india looks "hot" . Thats the difference.
sai_ace is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:32   #6
BHPian

I have my fair share for doubts that, FIAT would replace Punto With 500L in India.
Otomobil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 00:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
I have my fair share for doubts that, FIAT would replace Punto With 500L in India.
I agree - the Fiat 500 isn't even in the same segment as the Fiat Punto, with the price tag of a Fiat 500 being almost twice as much as the Fiat Punto.

For people who want exclusivity, the Fiat 500 is a cheaper alternative to a Mini Cooper. The higher variants of the Mini Cooper would probably be comparable to an Abarth 500. There's also the Alfa Romeo Mito, which is priced similar to the Mini Cooper.
k_nitin_r is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 01:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I agree - the Fiat 500 isn't even in the same segment as the Fiat Punto, with the price tag of a Fiat 500 being almost twice as much as the Fiat Punto..
FIAT needs to gain the ground in already cut throat competition of Hatchbacks. Their independent A.S.S strategy is in a very nascent stage, I am sure If, at all replaced it will be replaced with something else but not this.
Otomobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 08:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really surprised as Fiat is in the process of expanding the 500 series, almost like a sub-brand. They already have the longer 500L MPV in this range, and also the 500X crossover and 500XL (Living) 7-seater MPV. A regular hatchback from this line is logical, even though it gets into that identical family look (similar to how VW and Skoda are doing with their range of cars). But I wonít be surprised if Fiat decide to keep the Punto alive in developing markets like India, probably with the evo facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I agree - the Fiat 500 isn't even in the same segment as the Fiat Punto, with the price tag of a Fiat 500 being almost twice as much as the Fiat Punto.
The 500 is a niche model, but I donít think itís priced twice as much as a Punto. The price range is similar in markets like the UK, and since the Punto name has not really done well in the Europe (compared to the competition; Polo, Fiesta etc.), a rebranding maybe the ideal way to go. In India, the 500 was priced high (being a CBU), but elsewhere the 500 series of cars compete with regular models from other brands.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 08:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

The 500L in that yellow shade looks CUTE

A Punto replacement? It might happen in Europe, doubt it will happen anytime soon in India.

More than niche, the 500's iconic image helped its successful come back. Fiat did good with the new 500 by retaining a few retro looks of the old icon 500 too.

The Grande Punto was the car that saved Fiat's ugly fate in Europe until late 2008, no? I agree the GP package looks very weak now compared to the very very hot supermini package (Clio RS200/ Fiesta RS/ Polo GTi) in Europe and the obvious dip in general automobile sales in Europe market has contributed to Fiat's decision to stop the GP. The expansion of the 500 brand should only help Fiat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The 500 is a niche model, but I donít think itís priced twice as much as a Punto. The price range is similar in markets like the UK, and since the Punto name has not really done well in the Europe (compared to the competition; Polo, Fiesta etc.), a rebranding maybe the ideal way to go. In India, the 500 was priced high (being a CBU), but elsewhere the 500 series of cars compete with regular models from other brands.

Last edited by anachronix : 31st December 2013 at 08:53.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well well. If this is what will replace the Punto, it is high time that I show my empty pocket to the banks and get a loan to buy the outgoing one.

If the Euro spec model looks like this, just imagine what the Indian version would look like!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

If this is the Punto's replacement, the Punto will be missed! This even resembles the Suzuki Hustler - not exactly an ideal-looking car itself.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

It appears all European countries share the design characteristics. To me, the Fiat 500 appears more like a modified Mini. Wonder how it would be if it were to hit the Indian markets.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 09:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the final image? Two posts show two different images - Which one is correct? I like the first image, nice cute and worthy successor for Punto.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 10:55   #15
BHPian

Post re: Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement

Head First, I think the word "cute" is an outright insult of GP. As some one said, the design of GP never aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
If this is the Punto's replacement, the Punto will be missed! This even resembles the Suzuki Hustler - not exactly an ideal-looking car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
where is that "oh so Maserati" looks??

This new design looks "cute". The current design sold in India looks "hot" . That's the difference.
Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
This will an awesome replacement for punto if it indeed happens.
I would love to buy one for my wife.
That says it all

Personally being a fan of the Japanese cars, my ideal upgrade is coming from Honda (fingers crossed on the launch of Vezel in India). So, unless the Europeans take care of there A.S.S, I would be more than happy reading the pleasures and ordeals of owning European cars.

Though, I'd miss on the solid sheet metal and handling, but you win some and loose some.
Ritzvxi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote