Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 18th January 2014, 18:05   #1
BANNED

Default Porsche plans High-end BMW 5-Series Rival

Quote:
Porsche is evaluating plans to launch a new sports saloon, which will be positioned below the Panamera, according to company boss Matthias Muller.The company is looking towards further growth opportunities, one of which is mid size saloon which will lock horns with the Maserati Ghibli and higher-end versions of the BMW 5-series, Mercedes-Benz E-class and Jaguar XF. This saloon sector takes about one-third of all sales in the global market.

“Speaking very frankly, I can say this is one of many ideas we have, to build a car below Panamera,” Muller told Autocar. “But it would be a difficult decision, because Porsche has just taken a huge step getting into the Macan market — not just developing the car but doubling the factory capacity, including the body shop and paint shop. It has been a huge effort for the whole company. You’ll have to wait and see. But every dollar we hold, we can spend only once. We can realise that idea, or another, or a third or fourth. We have many ideas.”

I would not be surprised if it shares its underpinnings with the Macan.
Attached Images

HyperRetard is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 12:39   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Porsche plans High-end BMW 5-Series Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
I would not be surprised if it shares its underpinnings with the Macan.
WOW! Would be quite exciting to see a Porsche get into the ring with the German trio and spice things up.

I reckon, if it will tick all the boxes on comfort, space, features, (no need to say power) and even if priced a bit more than the 5'er or E a person scouting in that segment will definitely stretch and go for it.

And it would be quite nice to hear "I own a Porsha(Porsche)" rather than "I own a Beemer/Merc"

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 17:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
WOW! Would be quite exciting to see a Porsche get into the ring with the German trio and spice things up.

I reckon, if it will tick all the boxes on comfort, space, features, (no need to say power) and even if priced a bit more than the 5'er or E a person scouting in that segment will definitely stretch and go for it.

And it would be quite nice to hear "I own a Porsha(Porsche)" rather than "I own a Beemer/Merc"

-Bhargav
When they say "High-End" versions of the 5 and E, they often mean the M5 and E63 AMG. I'd imagine this to be priced similarly to those, if it ever gets green-lit for production.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 18:11   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
When they say "High-End" versions of the 5 and E, they often mean the M5 and E63 AMG. I'd imagine this to be priced similarly to those, if it ever gets green-lit for production.

But doesnt the Panamera cost that much?
I'm sure they mean the 5 series luxury line variants And AvantGarde for Mercs.
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 20:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

10 years from now, Porsche will have a rival for 3 Series.
20 years from now, Porsche will have a rival for 1-series.

Porsche will go for higher sales and profitability, rather than exclusivity.
smartcat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 20:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
As HyperRetard said, they already make the really expensive Panamera so even if they make something like the M5 or E63 AMG saloon, would it not be a very silly business decision to not use the platform for an E-Class rival?
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 20:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
But doesnt the Panamera cost that much?
I'm sure they mean the 5 series luxury line variants And AvantGarde for Mercs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As HyperRetard said, they already make the really expensive Panamera so even if they make something like the M5 or E63 AMG saloon, would it not be a very silly business decision to not use the platform for an E-Class rival?
It's all relative, to be honest. The base v6 Panamera costs 1.6cr on road Mumbai WITHOUT any options. With decent option loading it can easily go up to 1.8cr, which is well above the E63 and M5, and this is the base version.

With that in mind I don't think there is anyway the sub-panamera model could compete with the regular 5 series and E Class. Also, don't forget, "High-End" 5ers and E's could also be the v8 versions of these models that sell in those countries.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 21:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
10 years from now, Porsche will have a rival for 3 Series. 20 years from now, Porsche will have a rival for 1-series. Porsche will go for higher sales and profitability, rather than exclusivity.
Not sure if that makes sense for the VAG? They have a portfolio of brands across the spectrum and have done a good job of segmenting the market. But then again, it's 20 years out :-)
pande_monium76 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 22:12   #9
BANNED

When Volkswagen has the MQB platform on which it can build everything from a small ultra compact hatch to a mid-size SUVto a sportscar (Their own words and claim, not mine), then why not put a chasis on it, and cater it to the whims a.nd fancies of lover of every brand.

PS. The Macan is based on the Q5's chasis.
The Q5 is based on the Audi A6's chasis
Hence this will be based on the Chasis of the Audi A6.

Makes perfect sense to me.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Porsche will go for higher sales and profitability, rather than exclusivity.
Porsche is the most profitable auto company in the world, courtesy parts & platforms sharing.

Their honchos would be rubbing hands in glee on the very thoughts of 3 & 1 series rival.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote